"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, TDog said:

We really need a couple of wingers this January if we are going to do anything this season. 

Doran looks done. A few moments of brilliance from him aside he as zero threat in general play. 

Was happy when we signed Walsh this summer after his previous spell but he looks a player short on confidence. Used to be brilliant at finding a yard of space to whip in a great ball into the box or find space to grab himself a goal. Now he just looks to pass back or inside all the time. 

I’ve been thinking the same over the past while regarding Doran, seems to have lost all his pace and is pretty ineffective. Would his fortunes change playing upfront? 

Agree wholeheartedly on Walsh too, he’s been generally honking since he came back. 

When we changed the formation to more of a 4231 he was played behind Mckay as a "10" for a couple of games. Seemed to look a little better there but hard not to agree that, on the whole, he seems to be fading away from the attacking threat he once was. 

Arguably, our best wide man is not playing at the minute and is almost certain not to appear for us again.

We had precious little creativity in that side today. Very one dimensional.

3 hours ago, TDog said:

We really need a couple of wingers this January if we are going to do anything this season. 

Doran looks done. A few moments of brilliance from him aside he as zero threat in general play. 

Was happy when we signed Walsh this summer after his previous spell but he looks a player short on confidence. Used to be brilliant at finding a yard of space to whip in a great ball into the box or find space to grab himself a goal. Now he just looks to pass back or inside all the time. 

While harper has a great cross on him he doesn’t have the pace or skill to beat a man and Dodds doesn’t seem to rate McDonald at all. 

To be fair to Harper, he is a left back playing further forward as we have no other option but I don’t disagree with any of that.

A winger has to be a priority this month.

12 hours ago, TDog said:

While harper has a great cross on him he doesn’t have the pace or skill to beat a man and Dodds doesn’t seem to rate McDonald at all. 

Agree with you, the talent is there but not as it was first time around, hopefully he'll find his way back.

Re yesterdays game and wide players, Gayfield is a few yards narrower than average which Doddsy must have known yet we were still persisting in wide balls which were shut down effectively time and time again.

And truth be told we ARE missing Gardyne, there I've said it.

It must be getting to the point that Devine & Broadfoot will both be suspended, given the number of cautions they’ve had on top of both getting carded yesterday? Cobble together a defence for a game or two or bring someone in short-term (Coll Donaldson?)

27 minutes ago, RossP said:

It must be getting to the point that Devine & Broadfoot will both be suspended, given the number of cautions they’ve had on top of both getting carded yesterday? Cobble together a defence for a game or two or bring someone in short-term (Coll Donaldson?)

I appreciate your comments and you are right but not Donaldson, RC have only fielded him a few times this season, due to injury.

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I appreciate your comments and you are right but not Donaldson, RC have only fielded him a few times this season, due to injury.

You are right. He’s off to Dunfermline for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Thoughts on Coll Donaldson? Don’t really know much about him, but I’m hoping that he can’t be worse than what we have! Is he left footed?

He was always decent at playing out from the back which I imagine suits Yogi. Prone to a brainfart every now and again. Pretty sure he’s right footed from what I remember. 
I was disappointed when he left but that might just be more because Brad Mckay was his replacement 😂

52 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Thoughts on Coll Donaldson? Don’t really know much about him, but I’m hoping that he can’t be worse than what we have! Is he left footed?

In his first season with us he had a mare of a first game away at Dumbarton but after that he turned out to one of the best defenders we'd had for a while, but the next season he wasn't that consistent and........................................................................................................................

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Resembles something like if a bombscare was his mum and an absolute car crash was his dad.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

He was good but always had a mistake in him. As already said he had a great season then in the next one made more and more errors. I still can’t believe county chose to sign him over Jamie McCart who was by far the better centre back of the 2. There is no way to prove my theory but I’m sure it’s because he was a bit of a cult hero with our fans so it was seen as a way to get one over Caley.

He is right footed and McCart was left and I think that was another reason they worked so well together.

That defence we had of Rooney-Donaldson-McCart-Tremarco is probably the best defence a team of our size could hope to have at this level.  I've little doubt it would've done a good job in the top flight that season as well.  I wasn't very excited by Donaldson when we signed him but he quickly established himself as one of our better players.  Yes, he has a blooper in him once a while but overall he was a good player for us (at both ends of the park).  I actually wondered if he'd have done well playing as a deep-lying midfielder - his ball-playing is pretty good and he was dangerous when he was charging forward.  Perhaps right-back would suit him too.  If you're playing him at centre-back, you need someone solid in beside him.  He had that with McCart who was the perfect foil for him.  If he has that protection alongside him he can flourish.

I see on Twitter Dundee United fans still have this weird obsession with him but you won't find many ICT fans slagging him off for his performances.  He left quite unceremoniously but overall he was a good defender for us.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Any exciting reason or just he wasn't in the frame?

I thought everyone was aware of the reasons?

Long story short he was going behind his team mates back and sleeping with his other half whilst said player was grieving the loss of his father. The club attempted to have them work it out and it didn't go particularly well. As a result Gardyne has been left out of the squad with the club trying to find a way to move him on which they now appear to have done.