"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Anybody know what happens if the league gets terminated due to covid? We reached the halfway point on Saturday and I read somewhere that the WOSL declares a champion according to who is top at that point, i.e. 50% of the fixtures played. That’s regardless of who’s on top a few games later.
If our league does the same, then the second Hamilton goal has cost us the title on goal difference…
…or maybe they’ll just make it up as they go along like they did last time.

Edited by The Mantis

17 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Anybody know what happens if the league gets terminated due to covid? We reached the halfway point on Saturday and I read somewhere that the WOSL declares a champion according to who is top at that point, i.e. 50% of the fixtures played. That’s regardless of who’s on top a few games later.
If our league does the same, then the second Hamilton goal has cost us the title on goal difference…
…or maybe they’ll just make it up as they go along like they did last time.

Good question, presently the UK Governments have so far not shut down major events though issued guidance on social gatherings over Christmas, the excuse is that not enough Omicron variant behavioral data has been garnered by the scientists. Though I suspect that immediately after Christmas we will  go back to empty stadiums.

The question then is how many players will become affected with the variant resulting in many games being postponed which would then obviously impact on the leagues.

I could then see a scenario where the leagues would be terminated and taking into teams position financial award then inmo it would be necessary to have a title winning team, a title would not be decided on position alone but be fairly awarded on the level of home and away games won and on goal difference, eg, considering 'home adavantage',  if a team won one more home game than another team winning two more away games the it would be fair to award the title to the team winning more away games.

Edited by SandyCromarty

A Christmas pod is out for your listening pleasure packed with December themed goodness!

Mark Ridgers and Robbie Deas drop by for a chat and we hear from Louis Lockhart, a regular at ICT home and away matches, on the Young Teams move to the West Stand, we look back over some of the recent matches, including the recent debacle against Hamilton, preview the festive fixture list and have a bit of a laugh trying to think of Christmas gifts for Championship managers and players as Christmas films.

And if that isn't enough you can be in with a chance of winning a signed Robbie Deas shirt if you follow us on Twitter, retweet and like the tweet below!

Disclaimer: This was recorded before the most recent announcements on restrictions on attending sporting events.

Surprised to hear one of the pod name a centre back as one of the main priorities for a new signing. As things stand we have four self-proclaimed centre backs in Broadfoot, Devine, Deas and Duffy along with Fyfe coming through while Allardice and Welsh have also played in there this season. What we really need is another proper full back. Harper looked decent against Hamilton and Deas has been solid in there but I think we really need a proper right back in the squad. Carson is having a good season but it would allow him to move back into midfield if need be and provide some necessary cover.

8 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Surprised to hear one of the pod name a centre back as one of the main priorities for a new signing. As things stand we have four self-proclaimed centre backs in Broadfoot, Devine, Deas and Duffy along with Fyfe coming through while Allardice and Welsh have also played in there this season. What we really need is another proper full back. Harper looked decent against Hamilton and Deas has been solid in there but I think we really need a proper right back in the squad. Carson is having a good season but it would allow him to move back into midfield if need be and provide some necessary cover.

A right back is probably 2nd in priority for me. As you said Carson has been ok at RB, and we already have plenty of players at CM.

A winger or striker, who can play wide, I think should be top priority. Billy said he wants to set out his team's with two wingers. But with Gardyne gone Walsh not playing at his best, and McDonald not getting a chance. We don't have much natural width.

18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Was that me? I honestly cannot remember :lol: Do agree that I think we need a left and / or a right back. Maybe I said that on the pod actually. Brain has melted the last few days...

On 25/12/2021 at 00:50, Highland Capital said:

Is Broadfoot not only on a one year deal? So we will be needing one sooner rather than later. I get what you mean about having plenty of options at centre back but I’d still like to see another brought in. I have very little confidence in Broadfoot and Devine as a pairing to get a team promoted from this division.

On 25/12/2021 at 19:28, RiG said:

Was that me? I honestly cannot remember :lol: Do agree that I think we need a left and / or a right back. Maybe I said that on the pod actually. Brain has melted the last few days...

It was Riley I think.  I wouldn't be gutted if we did sign another centre-back, but it'd be down my list of priorities just now.  I think a right back in priority #1, followed by a proper right winger.  For once we're pretty set for strikers but I wonder if Duku will be moved on and someone else brought in.

38 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It was Riley I think.  I wouldn't be gutted if we did sign another centre-back, but it'd be down my list of priorities just now.  I think a right back in priority #1, followed by a proper right winger.  For once we're pretty set for strikers but I wonder if Duku will be moved on and someone else brought in.

Wouldn't be against Duku moving on. He seems to have a lovely personality and seems to be a popular figure but he doesn't seem capable of being a threat from the bench. I'd have him as our 4th best striking option behind Mckay, Sutherland and Jamieson. 

You'd imagine Gardyne will also move on as well so maybe a couple of wages freed up for some reinforcements. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Maybe Fort William will repay their debt and loan us half of their squad.

We might as well bring back Gardyne given we can't lawfully announce the end of his contract til next month anyway. Just make him change in his car or something.

You can still release a player outside of a transfer window. It just means he can't sign for another club until the 1st of January.

Take it Gardyne is well out of the picture though?

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can still release a player outside of a transfer window. It just means he can't sign for another club until the 1st of January.

Take it Gardyne is well out of the picture though?

That makes sense, though from what I've heard there was some issue that meant we had to wait til Jan to announce it.

Yes, he's gone - he'll probably go to County, Cove or another Championship club.

Just now, Stephen Malkmus said:

That makes sense, though from what I've heard there was some issue that meant we had to wait til Jan to announce it.

Yes, he's gone - he'll probably go to County, Cove or another Championship club.

Is this purely because of more shagging antics or has something else happened?

1 hour ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Off to Dundee I've heard.  I posted it earlier in this thread but I heard there was a bust up behind the scenes which meant the end for Gardyne.  You may recall that he and Carson played in the same XI after Carson came back from compassionate leave so I think that does suggest that there was some incident afterwards.

We really need a couple of wingers this January if we are going to do anything this season. 

Doran looks done. A few moments of brilliance from him aside he as zero threat in general play. 

Was happy when we signed Walsh this summer after his previous spell but he looks a player short on confidence. Used to be brilliant at finding a yard of space to whip in a great ball into the box or find space to grab himself a goal. Now he just looks to pass back or inside all the time. 

While harper has a great cross on him he doesn’t have the pace or skill to beat a man and Dodds doesn’t seem to rate McDonald at all.