"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

3 hours ago, PB1994 said:

The coaching from Billy Dodds was loved by the players when he was here so it seems like a no brainer to bring him in full time. It might not work out but you could say that about every appointment at this level.

The fact he was staying local and could be on cheap wages is just a bonus as far as I’m concerned.

As we have said a million times on this forum the financial situation at the club has always be greatly over estimated but everybody seems to jump on that for some reason.

I agree to a certain extent but rather than being a bonus, I think being locally available would have been part of the serious decision making process. In the context of a sme, there are factors that are very relevant when hiring and a candidate having to relocate or commiting to a giant commute are health and wellbeing risks a hiring manager would wish to eliminate.

More generally, I'm not sure I buy into the narrative that hiring from the south is something that is necessarily to be cherished. Is this the highland cringe?

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's a defence mechanism used by fans of other clubs to try and cling onto any hope that they can finish as high up the table as possible.  

We’ve all got the biggest fan base and the lowest budget.  As you say, its a defence against failure. 

It'd be interesting to know who the three other candidates interviewed were.  I imagine Paul Sheerin was probably one of them before Falkirk came in for him.  I had heard Owen Coyle 'was being considered' for the job so perhaps was interviewed.  Think I'd have preferred Sheerin over Dodds, but I wouldn't have wanted Coyle whatsoever.  

5 hours ago, sophia said:

I agree to a certain extent but rather than being a bonus, I think being locally available would have been part of the serious decision making process. In the context of a sme, there are factors that are very relevant when hiring and a candidate having to relocate or commiting to a giant commute are health and wellbeing risks a hiring manager would wish to eliminate.

More generally, I'm not sure I buy into the narrative that hiring from the south is something that is necessarily to be cherished. Is this the highland cringe?

Yeah, I meant it as a bonus as we will probably save a few quid on getting him a house etc.

Its good that he has chosen to live up here off his on back, so he must like the area and wants to be up here. Which will help if he does a good job and other clubs come in for him.

I’m not sure it is cherished that we need to get someone from down south but I think it is a very small pool of coaches/managers that are based up here that would be qualified for the job. The majority are based down south or east so it’s only natural that we have to look in those areas.

He's absolutely bum but miles better than Durnan.

He's not very good at right back. He's marginally better at CB but still one of the poorer defenders we've had in the last few years. Ended the season alongside Devine and, in fairness, both played pretty solidly. He's wanted to go back to the central belt for a while so this move makes sense for him. He'll probably look reasonable enough at League 1 level but he typically struggled at in the Championship. If he gets you up here you'll likely need to upgrade again next year.

He's pish.  Looks reasonably solid for a wee while and then just as you think he's alright has a mahoosive brain fart.  

Just as well we’ve signed him on a 3, that’s right, 3 year deal.

May the Falkirk FC banter era continue.

Polworth confirming he wants to stay at Premiership level. Was speaking to Hughes before he left County but that’s gone cold. Could see him going to Livi.

I genuinely think Billy Dodds is an absolute incompetent moron. That's no surprise a Dundee fan saying that.

The likes of Leigh Griffiths have publicly said that Dodds is the worst coach they've have in professional football.

I reckon he'll be a success though. There's something seriously strange in the water up in the Highlands where the shittest of the shit do really well. And I expect this to be no different.

Begs the question though, if shite like Terry Butcher, Craig Brewster, John Hughes and John Robertson can be huge successes at Caley, just how shite was Richie Foran?!

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

just how shite was Richie Foran?!

In all honesty we probably wouldn't have done much worse had we put a supporter in charge.  He could pick a line up that looked relatively decent and signed players on the basis of "Oh I've heard of him, he must be good!" (see Henri Anier, Billy King and a near pensionable aged Kevin McNaughton) but when it came to everything else, entirely clueless.  

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There tonnes of players who say Dodds is a fantastic coach. I guess it depends on who you ask. 

Who exactly? 

Colin McMenamin, Sean Higgins and Rab Douglas are another few that have been less than complimentary about his coaching methods.

ETA: Not disagreeing that there hasn't been people that have said otherwise as I think I recall him being well liked at QotS. But it seems to be like the fabled 'highly rated' youth coach and is more a defense/justification for him being a dribbling simpleton similar to the way John Hughes gets a lot of credit from his ex players.

Edited by Ludo*1

47 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who exactly? 

Colin McMenamin, Sean Higgins and Rab Douglas are another few that have been less than complimentary about his coaching methods.

ETA: Not disagreeing that there hasn't been people that have said otherwise as I think I recall him being well liked at QotS. But it seems to be like the fabled 'highly rated' youth coach and is more a defense/justification for him being a dribbling simpleton similar to the way John Hughes gets a lot of credit from his ex players.

Liam Boyce, Alex Schalk, most of the current The Caley team. Todorov was saying how good he was recently. 

Like I say, it depends who you ask. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Liam Boyce, Alex Schalk, most of the current The Caley team. Todorov was saying how good he was recently. 

Like I say, it depends who you ask. 

So, again, pretty much a Highland select where I've already said that utterly shite coaches tends to do really well?

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So, again, pretty much a Highland select where I've already said that utterly shite coaches tends to do really well?

Surely says shite coaches doing well negates the shite element?

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think you read my original post tbh.

I got the gist of it, you hate Scot Gardiner, Billy Dodds and Jim McIntyre. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

I got the gist of it, you hate Scot Gardiner, Billy Dodds and Jim McIntyre. 

Three very hateable people, but only 1 of the 3 were mentioned m8.