"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

43 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

Has Dodds done that bad for you guys?, you had a lot of injuries, got you to the Scottish cup final and he nearly got you to the play offs, would have thought that wasn't too bad???

Injuries to key players don't count, apart that is when they do (see the post two before yours) 

49 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

Has Dodds done that bad for you guys?, you had a lot of injuries, got you to the Scottish cup final and he nearly got you to the play offs, would have thought that wasn't too bad???

The injuries were horrific and no one can deny that. As soon as the team began to reassemble they started playing some decent stuff in patches. The biggest complaint has been hoof ball which tended to happen when we were missing Allardice and Welsh - no great surprise but the midfield was missing so the defenders hoofed it. Minimising mistakes and hoping for something. It really isn’t pretty. The season before, I don’t think many people realise how toxic the Gardyne thing was for the team. It completely screwed things up if you’ll pardon the pun. Personally I think Dodds could do with a younger coach who really gets tactics and formations. He does seem to get a good squad feeling but he appears to be off that generation that is all ‘get in tae them’. He worked well with McCann who was seemingly the opposite - almost a micromanager. Think a shake up in the coaching team will come 

On 26/05/2023 at 22:04, NorthStand10 said:

Partick Thistle hitting Ayr and Queens Park for 8 should lay to rest any opinion that we had the best team, we didn’t sadly.

we beat this partick team comfortably with ten players on the park. 👍

Why is this Scottish Cup Final the reason behind not signing up the players we want to keep from this season?

I would have thought core players like Danny Devine and Aaron Doran would have their futures sorted out by now either staying or going?

I have my doubts the money from the two games at Hampden will have any influence on next season's squad and either the club already know who is staying and who is going and will announce on the following Monday or Tuesday or no contract talks have taken place and we could be looking at a clearout of nearly all or all players out of contract.

The club will be fully aware of who is going and who is staying. They will quite rightly be announcing it once our season is over just as every single other club does.

There is plenty of things you can give the club a hard time about but not announcing what players are going to be here next season certainly isn’t one of them.

Winning the Scottish Cup could also have a pretty big impact on what we can offer players next season too. How ever unlikely it is that we win on Saturday, there is still that possibility and it could lead to us going back to a few players to offer them better deals to stay/give them the opportunity to play in Europe.

I don't know if Billy Dodds can take this squad to the next level especially if choice of player could be even more limited, I've not been convinced so far, we had an element of luck in the Scottish Cup. At least with the amount of injuries we have had every player in the squad had an opportunity to impress so we should know more which players are worth keeping and can improve enough to take this team to the next level and who the others are not up to that standard.

If half the squad gets freed due to financial constraints rather than on ability and performance the week after the cup final then once again we are back to square one and setting ourselves up for another repeat show along with if two clubs with Premiership budgets are relegated we could be pushed even further down and have to rely on the other seven teams being even more inconsistant and more shit than this season to even be still in with a shout of a playoff spot.

The latest episode of The Wyness Shuffle has a load of chat, interviews and other stuff as the guys look ahead to the game on Saturday.

How do you like the sound of:

• Looking back at previous wins over Celtic with interviews with Stuart Golabek, Dennis Wyness, Ross Tokely and James Vincent?
  • Captain Sean Welsh updating us on how preparations for the big day are coming along?
  • A chat with Natasha Meikle from the Celtic State of Mind podcast?
  • All you need to know about the Highland Fling on the Ferry?
  • The reveal of another Cup Final song?

https://twitter.com/TheICTPodcast/status/1663229800918523905

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1474956/caley-thistle-sign-up-10-youth-players-on-professional-contracts/

Lol remember this? Came across it today "The Future of the club" only 3 of those players are still with us and one is on loan from Hibs a lot can change in 5 years. 

12 minutes ago, Supercaleyman94 said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1474956/caley-thistle-sign-up-10-youth-players-on-professional-contracts/

Lol remember this? Came across it today "The Future of the club" only 3 of those players are still with us and one is on loan from Hibs a lot can change in 5 years. 

To be fair, 3 out of 10 youth players from the same squad making it into the first team and making close to/over 100 appearances each is impressive. Especially when one of them made us some substantial cash.

There will be some clubs that could only wish for a success rate like that from their youth teams. 

If MacGregor gets his fitness back I'd imagine he and Harper will start almost every game.  If we managed to re-sign Mackay he'd probably start every week as well.  For us to get two, possibly three, lynchpins of the team from the youth set-up is excellent.

Be interesting to see if any of the younger generation of lads can stake a claim.  I'm sure others have seen more of them but I've liked the look of Lewis Nicholson and Ethan Cairns.

Some clubs in this division barely have a youth setup, if at all, so to have 2/3 who have been with us since they were kids starting when available is superb.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Be interesting to see if any of the younger generation of lads can stake a claim.  I'm sure others have seen more of them but I've liked the look of Lewis Nicholson and Ethan Cairns.

I rate Lewis Nicholson, looks a proper unit. Just unfortunate he’s behind Cammy Harper now. Not seen enough of Cairns to comment. 

I think Hyde’s from the year group below Mackay, Harper, Macgregor and he’s not quite a regular starter but another promising sign from our youth system. 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Dan MacKays younger brother is in the youth system and is apparently rated even higher than Dan. I liked the look of Nicholson every time he has played too.

It must be tough for youth players for us and County coming through as the only real loan options are Elgin or the Highland League, the jump between that and the Championship is massive.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

I think Hyde’s from the year group below Mackay, Harper, Macgregor and he’s not quite a regular starter but another promising sign from our youth system. 

Yeah, I forgot about Hyde.  Not sure he's up the standard of the other three but he'll have gained some valuable experience this season, albeit in quite difficult circumstances at times.

Thing about Hyde is that he's really been trying to break into a very set position - if Welsh and Allardice are fit they will always be picked there.  So it's hard for him and he's also been played out of position at times as a fullback, he got a roasting there from Scott Tiffoney at Firhill.  

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, I forgot about Hyde.  Not sure he's up the standard of the other three but he'll have gained some valuable experience this season, albeit in quite difficult circumstances at times.

Thing about Hyde is that he's really been trying to break into a very set position - if Welsh and Allardice are fit they will always be picked there.  So it's hard for him and he's also been played out of position at times as a fullback, he got a roasting there from Scott Tiffoney at Firhill.  

Yeah I’d probably agree he’s not at the same level as the others. Good squad player currently but hopefully some of the game time he’s got this season helps and he pushes on (think he’s signed for another year). 

8 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Dan MacKays younger brother is in the youth system and is apparently rated even higher than Dan. I liked the look of Nicholson every time he has played too.

I went to the Hamilton game where we played the under 18s and he looked a real prospect. Had some nice runs and touches and was unlucky not to get a goal.