"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

He’s a good player and is capable of a great goal. I don’t think he ever really imposed himself on games or made himself the focal point of the team. He was (is) very young though. Overall, I’d say a very good signing for Ayr, clearly a sign they are serious about going for the title.

Cant wait for us to sign either no-one or a left back from Darlington under 18s.

I’m sure there was interest from Premiership teams for him in the summer. Killie I think it was.

Basically he had much better offers than from us still playing in the Championship. Obviously, for whatever reason his move to Tranmere hasn’t worked out and the Championship is now probably his best option. 

Edited by PB1994

42 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Technically McAlear is more than good enough for this level - he's capable of some great stuff from range and his general touch and link-up play is pretty good.  He has a very bad habit of going missing for long periods though.

This is basically Chalmers tbh. I’m not saying we carried him but he could go through games doing very little before popping up with a goal or an assist. Bullen seems happy to accommodate that type of player so long as everyone else is doing the hard graft. We had McInroy last season and he won us points through individual moments to keep us up. Chalmers won us a few games this season. I’d be hoping we can arrange some sort of loan to buy agreement with Tranmere. We’re apparently pushing the boat out a fair bit to accommodate his wages as it is. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This is basically Chalmers tbh. I’m not saying we carried him but he could go through games doing very little before popping up with a goal or an assist. Bullen seems happy to accommodate that type of player so long as everyone else is doing the hard graft. We had McInroy last season and he won us points through individual moments to keep us up. Chalmers won us a few games this season. I’d be hoping we can arrange some sort of loan to buy agreement with Tranmere. We’re apparently pushing the boat out a fair bit to accommodate his wages as it is. 

Hasn't been announced yet don't jinx it you... still time for it to go pete tong this is Ayr we're talking about, never good when it seems to good to be true!

I'm sure our Sporting Director will have spent the weekend frantically identifying targets for us to go after to improve the team and get our faltering season back on track.

On 29/01/2023 at 15:01, approximately dave said:

Why the need to scout ourselves?

Everyone should know by now what most if not all the players in the squad are capable of and that's the manager and the coaching staff's job.

And as we have been told the management team already know which players who are not up to standard. I don't think there can be much excuse over players not been given a chance, everyone in the squad has had a chance and its not difficult to see who is up to the task and who is not.

It’s not scouting ourselves, its assessing players in a game as thats where how they perform matters, not in training. As Robbo’s job is to identify replacements I’d imagine he’d be at games to see how players perform if not at other games watching players. 

Robbo going to a Ross County v Kilmarnock isn’t going to be much of an opportunity for scouting as I doubt anyone involved in the game will be willing to drop down a level and we’d most likely not be able to afford them. 

Where do people think we need strengthened? If Samuels and Sutherland come back I think we’ve got enough fire power. Henderson looks to be a good addition. Midfield will be better with Allardice, Harper and Ben Woods might even be good. There’s the perennial problem of missing a right back, but Carson was the best right back in the league last year… It would be nice to have more defensive options, but hardly a desperate need.

My focus at this stage would be on contract extensions and signings for next season.

I'd say either striker or right back as it could be a while until Sutherland and/or Samuels back plus we can't only rely on Carson at right back so we probably need cover in case of injury/suspension or loss of form from Carson.

I totally agree with you regarding looking at signings for next season and certainly looking to get some players tied down on new deals to fend off suitors and to lessen our rebuild for next season. 

8 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Where do people think we need strengthened?

My focus at this stage would be on contract extensions and signings for next season.

Not sure now we will see any further additions. While there is a core few players we need to make efforts to keep, until its confirmed which league we are in (most likely Championship) then offers need to be selective otherwise you risk committing too soon and blowing the budget with committed levels too low or high for your needs. Thats why its always so hard for a promoted team unless they by xmas are running away with the league.

8 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Where do people think we need strengthened? If Samuels and Sutherland come back I think we’ve got enough fire power. Henderson looks to be a good addition. Midfield will be better with Allardice, Harper and Ben Woods might even be good. There’s the perennial problem of missing a right back, but Carson was the best right back in the league last year… It would be nice to have more defensive options, but hardly a desperate need.

Tom Walsh also to come back. 

9 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

We desperately need another striker to help Mckay out. There's no word on Sutherland, Samuels etc returning but with the departure of Oakley you'd have to assume they are back sooner rather than later. Unless something happened off the pitch that hastened Oakley's departure...

We're going to find it hard to offer contract extensions to players when we won't have a clue what league we might be in. I suspect it will be another year in the Championship and that's going to make it harder to get some players to sign up for that.

As I've mentioned a few times I spoke with Shane last year and he indicated he would be back Jan/Feb so if that is the case he should be back in training.

As for Samuels and Walsh nobody seems to know what the score is, whether they are out long term team or otherwise is anybody's guess, rumours abound.

Oakleys Morton interview on their thread worth a look where he indicated a difference in opinion in the Caley camp, though tbf he didn't elaborate.

26 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

As I've mentioned a few times I spoke with Shane last year and he indicated he would be back Jan/Feb so if that is the case he should be back in training.

As for Samuels and Walsh nobody seems to know what the score is, whether they are out long term team or otherwise is anybody's guess, rumours abound.

Oakleys Morton interview on their thread worth a look where he indicated a difference in opinion in the Caley camp, though tbf he didn't elaborate.

Tom Walsh was in the paper last week saying he’d be out for around 12 months but hopes to return earlier. Samuels has been in the gym with the squad but I’ve no idea if he’s on the training pitch yet.

8 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

Tom Walsh was in the paper last week saying he’d be out for around 12 months but hopes to return earlier. Samuels has been in the gym with the squad but I’ve no idea if he’s on the training pitch yet.

So not on strike then?