"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

4 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Should also be said that our recruitment in the summer has turned out to be rather dreadful so you’d think now would be a great time to be scouting potential players who may becoming free agents in the summer.

That's thousands of players who may or may not including our own. We would need to know which positions to fill first since we are not exactly rolling in cash and right now in January maybe a bit to soon. There will be a mix of players for us who will wish later to move on and those playing for us who aren't kept, all depending on finances and if or if not we win promotion. We have no idea which league we might be playing in next season. Some of our better players who's contracts are up might see waiting to see if the club goes up or if someone else comes in with a better offer, until then we'll have to wait.

I doubt very much we currently have the luxury of cherry picking players and much like most previous summers it will be about who falls out of the tree at the right time and fits the shoe and if clubs will kindly loan out some of their future stars or bench warmers out to us. If we win promotion then that opens a few doors to better quality signings.

19 hours ago, sophia said:

There would be no open all mics if none of the broadcasters were allowed to contribute on their days off.

Lets say Robertson was employed by Hearts and at a Hearts away game he popped over to Easter road stadium to commentate for the BBC on the Hibs game.

His feet wouldn't touch the floor as Hearts manhandled him out of the door.

But in reality we all know he wouldn't dare pull a stunt like that with Hearts.

So why does he think that he can do that to ICT.

Are we just a wee provincial team that don't matter.

19 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I would expect him to be at our games to identify what players aren’t up to the required standard. Him and Gardiner can both beat it as far as I’m concerned 

Why the need to scout ourselves?

Everyone should know by now what most if not all the players in the squad are capable of and that's the manager and the coaching staff's job.

And as we have been told the management team already know which players who are not up to standard. I don't think there can be much excuse over players not been given a chance, everyone in the squad has had a chance and its not difficult to see who is up to the task and who is not.

8 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lets say Robertson was employed by Hearts and at a Hearts away game he popped over to Easter road stadium to commentate for the BBC on the Hibs game.

His feet wouldn't touch the floor as Hearts manhandled him out of the door.

But in reality we all know he wouldn't dare pull a stunt like that with Hearts.

So why does he think that he can do that to ICT.

Are we just a wee provincial team that don't matter.

You seem to have be overwrought by this and now that our results have taken a turn for the better, one would suppose that there must be a black cloud to find somewhere.

Anyway, let's just suppose that John's contract isn't being renewed in the summer, would it be too fanciful to suggest that an easing out of one role into another is reasonable?

I hear he is indeed employed in a capacity at a hearts away game today!

How raging are you at that?

1 minute ago, sophia said:

You seem to have be overwrought by this and now that our results have taken a turn for the better, one would suppose that there must be a black cloud to find somewhere.

Anyway, let's just suppose that John's contract isn't being renewed in the summer, would it be too fanciful to suggest that an easing out of one role into another is reasonable?

I hear he is indeed employed in a capacity at a hearts away game today!

How raging are you at that?

If I remember rightly Robbo was doing punditary and open all mics while in management positions in the past. Not a bad position to be in if you want to take a look at players and keep them in mind as potential signings for the future. I would also say that Robbo having been a manager at County probably still has links there and knows the people there quite well which in turn benefits ICT as this opens door of possibility for players if they are suitable coming here on loan or maybe even becoming signings. I'm missing County being our feeder team.

When Robbo had to take leave a couple of years ago I thought that any manager that came in would be on a temporary basis and he would return once he was ready.

Having been at the game on Saturday I think Scott Allardice returning from injury is going to be very big for us.  Welsh and Hyde weren't on it at all in the middle and Allardice improved us when he came on.  I think if we can start him and Welsh then that's probably our strongest pairing in central midfield.  It's probably a bit harsh to drop Hyde, Welsh was equally poor on Saturday but we know that Welsh can perform better than that.

Harper coming back is also useful, he showed a bit of promise playing in a more advanced midfield role earlier in the season, although Doran played well in that position on Saturday.

While I still think we could have picked up a few more points and better results while we had a vast crux of injuries, the fact no other team in the league has really run away with it and leaves us in contention for at minimum play-off placings, there is a lot to be positive about. If I supported one of the other outfits, I'd be concerned at how my team failed to capitalise and be looking over at Caley fearing a charge coming.

23 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

While I still think we could have picked up a few more points and better results while we had a vast crux of injuries, the fact no other team in the league has really run away with it and leaves us in contention for at minimum play-off placings, there is a lot to be positive about. If I supported one of the other outfits, I'd be concerned at how my team failed to capitalise and be looking over at Caley fearing a charge coming.

How I sleep at night knowing there is a charge coming from ‘Caley’.

3191E852-BB68-4F60-9AE7-7DE7BEBA14F2.webp

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Having been at the game on Saturday I think Scott Allardice returning from injury is going to be very big for us.  Welsh and Hyde weren't on it at all in the middle and Allardice improved us when he came on.  I think if we can start him and Welsh then that's probably our strongest pairing in central midfield.  It's probably a bit harsh to drop Hyde, Welsh was equally poor on Saturday but we know that Welsh can perform better than that.

Harper coming back is also useful, he showed a bit of promise playing in a more advanced midfield role earlier in the season, although Doran played well in that position on Saturday.

The stats I shared earlier would seem to bear this out and having the platform from midfield he helps to establish is absolutely crucial to us.

12 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Started off a bit meh but then got a run in the team and really came onto a game. Only scores screamers too 

Aye I remember his screamers against St Johnstone in the playoffs. Apparently signed for us tonight. 

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

IIRC Reece McAlear was quite good for you lot last season? 

He is a fantastic free kick taker and only seemed to score screamers. He’s a good player but he can go through periods of 3-4 games where he really doesn’t do much. To be expected at this level tbf.

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

What’s his best position? I have it in my head that he was an attacking midfielder/Winger for you guys. 

CM, maybe pushed up a little to support the front players. Not a great ball winner IMO but does the defensive okay but his strengths lie further up the pitch. As others have said it took him a while to get going and towards the end of the season he was phoning it in apart from his stauner inducing free kick against the Saintees but overall I thought he was a good player for us and hoped that maybe we could somehow retain him. Should be a good signing for you.