"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Dorans just coming back from injury and he can barely last a full 90 when fully fit. Add to that he’s not very good anymore and most people would go with Pearson 

Thats fine if all you want to see is some dribbling and then watch the boy run into a defender or give the ball away, as I said the lad has got a game but he's miles away from what we need right now. 

16 hours ago, sophia said:

I've been to many social events but it seems to me that only at football is there a disproportionate obsession with security.

I can see why the rules as applied to airport admittance is a catch-all thing but for a thousand or so regular attendees that invest their free time in a community construct, I wonder about the logic of an absurdly ineffectual partial strip search.

Who is investing their time and coming to the conclusion that such a thing is a priority or even reasonable?

Whoever it was, they should be aware of the juddering embarrassing irritation to those exposed to such nonsense that, let's be fair, was successful in exposing the colour of scarfs and jumpers.

In a time when goodwill is at a premium, small things subtract from the sum total.

Yes what was that all about on Saturday with those two security bods asking us to open our jackets, anybody know?

We've always been treated as second class citizens at football.

I think the time has come for Dodds to go but the problem is - who replaces him?  Caley Thistle have always been an old boy's club and the only thing that ever changes is who the boys are.  We're now under the Gardiner/Robertson regime and I have even less faith in them to appoint a better manager than I do in Dodds to turn it around.  I've seen some fans calling for the likes of Charlie Christie, Ross Tokely and Carl Tremarco but I'm really starting to tire of this constant looking backwards.  What we need isn't a nostalgia appointment - what we need is someone who can look at the club with fresh eyes.

The problem with the current regime is that won't matter and whoever Gardiner appoints will be someone else from his clique.  I could quite easily see someone like Gary Locke being appointed or some other maroon jobber.

14 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I think the time has come for Dodds to go but the problem is - who replaces him?  Caley Thistle have always been an old boy's club and the only thing that ever changes is who the boys are.  We're now under the Gardiner/Robertson regime and I have even less faith in them to appoint a better manager than I do in Dodds to turn it around.  I've seen some fans calling for the likes of Charlie Christie, Ross Tokely and Carl Tremarco but I'm really starting to tire of this constant looking backwards.  What we need isn't a nostalgia appointment - what we need is someone who can look at the club with fresh eyes.

The problem with the current regime is that won't matter and whoever Gardiner appoints will be someone else from his clique.  I could quite easily see someone like Gary Locke being appointed or some other maroon jobber.

I’d like to see us go for Barry Robson or that Bartley boy from Livi? Or somebody like that. Obviously it’s another guy who has never managed before so it’s always a risk but the list of “experienced” managers that will be interested will be far from risk free.

Edited by PB1994

Could imagine Gardiner giving it to Barry Ferguson just so he could meet one of his heroes 

I’d like to see Kevin Thomson. Wouldn’t happen due to Compensation and I doubt he’d relocate but he’s a better shout than Tokely, Tremarco et al 

If by some miracle we did sack Dodds it would be someone out of work or that requires very little compo paid 

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’d like to see us go for Barry Robson or that Bartley boy from Livi? Or somebody like that. Obviously it’s another guy who has never managed before so it’s always a risk but the list of “experienced” managers that will be interested will be far from risk free.

As I've said a couple of times Kevin Thomson is looking for a step up, McInnes just beat him to the Kilmarnock job and he is fresh managerial blood. 

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

As I've said a couple of times Kevin Thomson is looking for a step up, McInnes just beat him to the Kilmarnock job and he is fresh managerial blood. 

I wouldn’t be against Kevin Thomson, I just don’t think we would be able to afford him and I know this may be a bit harsh on him but Kelty are doing exactly what they should be doing in League 2 so it’s difficult to tell how good a job he is doing

I agree that the list of potential "experienced options " are limited (maybe bar Tommy Wright who would be my choice mainly due to his St J exploits, imho Kilmarnock was the wrong job at the wrong time) but that shouldn't deter our inept board into rightly sacking, or forcing BD into resignation.

I actually wouldn't mind an inexperienced guy looking to get into management for the first time, so long as he has an experienced assistant.

Massimo Donato or Mr Beuzelin anyone lol?

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Could imagine Gardiner giving it to Barry Ferguson just so he could meet one of his heroes 

I’d like to see Kevin Thomson. Wouldn’t happen due to Compensation and I doubt he’d relocate but he’s a better shout than Tokely, Tremarco et al 

If by some miracle we did sack Dodds it would be someone out of work or that requires very little compo paid 

Still amazed we have some fans who have faith in Scot Gardiner.  The man is a charlatan.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Caley Thistle have always been an old boy's club and the only thing that ever changes is who the boys are.  We're now under the Gardiner/Robertson regime 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Still amazed we have some fans who have faith in Scot Gardiner.  The man is a charlatan.

I'm not at all sure that there is a solid base to whatever is the core of your point.

"Charlatan" is quite the accusation. If you could could clarify, I'd be obliged.

Dodd's will get this season and next to get promoted.

I'm still confident we will finish in play offs, don't see us winning them, but that will be enough this season.

Dodd's can't be to blame for everything. Player clear out needed in summer, some very bad attitudes round Caley stadium. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I'm still confident we will finish in play offs, don't see us winning them, but that will be enough this season.

Dodd's can't be to blame for everything. Player clear out needed in summer, some very bad attitudes round Caley stadium. 

I doubt Dodds will be here next season.

It's the Managers job to coach and control a team in the right direction, if as you say there are some very bad player attitudes at the club then it is the Managers job to sort that out, the clue is in his job description title, Manager, if he cant, then................................................................................................................................................

Or am I stating the obvious?

You seem to have some inside information, care to name the players that are causing disruption with their attitude.

Edited by SandyCromarty

3 hours ago, Roland said:

How on Earth is that enough? This was our best shot of winning the league/promotion and we’ve blown it. Just finishing in the playoffs isn’t an achievement.

The time is now to get him out, hopefully get someone decent in who would get a bit of time to try and get some momentum together to even give us a tiny chance of promotion through the playoffs. As it stands we would be out in the first round, if we even finish in the top 4.

I cannot agree that just getting into the playoffs is enough. I don't expect us to win the title or even the play offs but we should be at least looking to do get promoted. To have an attitude of "Oh well, at the end of the day 4th is fine" isn't good enough. The club continues to haemorrhage money and crowds dwindle and better players leave. Unless we get promoted we are going to be stuck here for a long time (we've already been here longer than we planned after the 2016/17 season) or end up doing a Falkirk and have to adapt to life in the seaside leagues.

I've been saying for a while now that Dodds' tactics are very 90s and I think increasingly that is true.  4-4-2 with a big man/small man combination and two out and out wingers expected to cross the ball into the box at every opportunity seems more akin to a time when Dodds himself was a player.  Why did we do so well at the start of the season?  I think there's three factors here; first of all we were carried by having a decent squad.  Secondly there's perhaps a factor that due to playing such a dated style, teams weren't used to playing teams in this manner.  And the third is luck.  We beat Arbroath on the opening day 1-0 - but for the last twenty minutes they absolutely battered us.  On another day we would have lost that game.

Losing Gardyne was a blow and yes there have been injuries but that's only a small factor.  The biggest factor seems to be that we have no gameplan whatsoever.  Look at the good ICT managers of the past.  They knew how they wanted to play.  What is the style of the current side?  We don't seem to have one and frequently seem to be falling more and more into a side that just plays aimless long balls.  When we go behind Dodds seems to panic, getting even more direct and throwing on every attacking player at his disposal.  There's been times this season we've gone 2-2-4.  There was one game we ended playing 3-2-5.  On Saturday after Carson was sent off we went to a 2-4-3.  This doesn't seem like the behaviour of a manager who has much foresight as to how to get back into the game when we go behind.  It's often been said that Dodds is a good trainer but you can only get so far with that as a manager in your own right.

Then there's the recruitment.  It just seems to be so haphazard now.  I assume we've signed Pearson to replace Gardyne but what's Chalmers' role in this team?  What's Samuels’ role in this team?  And why on Earth on top of all of those was Joe Hardy signed as well?  We've needed at least one full-back since the start of the season.  Why has this still gone unnoticed by the club?

Some people might say finishing fourth is fine but that only masks the problems.  This club is going backwards big time on and off the field and these next ten games could define us for years to come.  Somehow get promoted and we can start getting back to where we once were.  Carry on as we are and I'm afraid we're doomed to become the next Falkirk or Morton or Clyde and are left to wander the wilderness for years to come.  We need the right man in the job now to steer us through this period and I'm increasingly seeing little to suggest that Dodds is that man.

Edited by Highland Capital