"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dodds has to go for me.  He's proven he can't adjust to the ever changing circumstances during a game.  

I was saying to @RiG last night, either he's

1.) Telling the players to sit back and invite pressure when we go 1-0 up (or take the lead in a game, Queens last week for example)

2;) He and the 3 other coaches are just not telling them to push out and think he we're good enough to hold out (we're not)

or

3.) He and the 3 others coaches are just not seeing that the players are doing it.

It's one of those 3 scenarios and it's the reason we won't be in the Premiership next season.

I've also noted that our shape seems to be fluid continually with players out of position constantly and leaving us exposed,  prime example is Broadfoots charges up the park, I don't know if this is by design or players floating.

52 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dodds has to go for me.  He's proven he can't adjust to the ever changing circumstances during a game.  

I was saying to @RiG last night, either he's

1.) Telling the players to sit back and invite pressure when we go 1-0 up (or take the lead in a game, Queens last week for example)

2;) He and the 3 other coaches are just not telling them to push out and think he we're good enough to hold out (we're not)

or

3.) He and the 3 others coaches are just not seeing that the players are doing it.

It's one of those 3 scenarios and it's the reason we won't be in the Premiership next season.

And when we do concede after being 1 up the plan then becomes punt the ball as far up the pitch as possible and hope the ball bounces the right way for us.

I have never really been sure about Dodds but was willing to give him a chance to see if he could get us going but he hasn’t. He will never be sacked and I have no idea who you’d replace him with but I agree that he should go, if we want to challenge this season. It’s our best chance of going up.

22 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

And when we do concede after being 1 up the plan then becomes punt the ball as far up the pitch as possible and hope the ball bounces the right way for us.

I have never really been sure about Dodds but was willing to give him a chance to see if he could get us going but he hasn’t. He will never be sacked and I have no idea who you’d replace him with but I agree that he should go, if we want to challenge this season. It’s our best chance of going up.

Robbo 

17 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

There's a bit of a slovenly air about our coaching staff which I'm not sure the players can respect. But then again Dick Campbell's not exactly Mr Universe so maybe that doesn't matter

Arbroath have better strikers than us, before you even get to the managers.

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

All three goals on Saturday by Jack Hamilton on loan from Livingston.

Kevin Thomson is an up and coming manager. 

Yep, Hamilton & Wighton > McKay and Sutherland.

I mean the side Arbroath were playing on Saturday are shite, but it's still 3 great finishes.

38 minutes ago, TDog said:

Robbo 

Nah, he did a great job coming in after relegation but let’s not forget we were 9th in the table when he left. Yes we have loads of games in hand but I think his time was coming to an end anyway.

17 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Had a look on CTO just now and the majority bemoaning our performance on Sat with some heavily criticising Dodds,. 

Which is good to see, but doubt anyone on there will ever call for him to go.  I think a lot of our fans are happy just to have a club, not for it to strive to be better.

32 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Nah, he did a great job coming in after relegation but let’s not forget we were 9th in the table when he left. Yes we have loads of games in hand but I think his time was coming to an end anyway.

Agree with that but he is undoubtedly a better manager than Dodds, knows the league and most importantly, is already on the clubs payroll. 

As you said no chance Dodds gets sacked anyway 

Billy Mckay's one of the best strikers in the league and should be getting more goals than he is - the quality of service and off the ball running from others to create space is so poor that he's lucky to get one clear cut chance per game. I thought Pearson looked pretty lively on Sat despite not being on the pitch for long so hopefully he can help on that front once Mckay is back. 

Our PPG during the first round of fixtures was 2.33 which then dropped to 1.44 during the second round of games. The number of draws we are getting is killing any title chance we may have had. All too often we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Dodds may well be a good coach and certain players sung his praises last season but as a manager I am becoming less and less convinced with each passing week.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Our PPG during the first round of fixtures was 2.33 which then dropped to 1.44 during the second round of games. The number of draws we are getting is killing any title chance we may have had. All too often we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Dodds may well be a good coach and certain players sung his praises last season but as a manager I am becoming less and less convinced with each passing week.

Was the case in the season County won the league too if I recall, far too many draws.

FWIW, I don't think Robbo (even if he wanted to, which he doesn't) becoming manager again is the solution.  That said, we have a better squad than last season so he may have been able to do something with it.  He'd have fucked loved to work with Billy McKay every day in training.

There's no doubt that Dodds is an experienced and - in many regards - well-respected coach but I too am starting to doubt if he is really a manager.  We have a good squad and do think that has carried us up the league to some degree.  He's talked in the past about how he likes wingers with lots of crosses into the box but that's very dated now and big looping ones certainly isn't the way to utilise Billy Mckay.  At the start of the season, he had us playing a very direct 4-2-4 and while that probably took teams by surprise at the start of the season, folk have cottoned onto it now even if it has become more of a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1.  We do have players who suit a passing game - Allardice, Welsh, McAlear, Mckay, even Broadfoot to some degree, but as soon as we go behind it's just endless long balls.  Very frustrating and not usually very effective.  We never change the formation or the line-up - if I can guess the line-up almost every week, so will opposition managers.

We've dropped twelve points from winning position this season - that isn't the characteristic of league champions.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

He's talked in the past about how he likes wingers with lots of crosses into the box

The loss of Gardyne will have limited that tactically a lot. With the 2 new boys both been attacking players with pace we could get back to that idea without having to play Duku or Sutherland, or Harper as a winger.

1 hour ago, Juanhourjoe said:

The loss of Gardyne will have limited that tactically a lot. With the 2 new boys both been attacking players with pace we could get back to that idea without having to play Duku or Sutherland, or Harper as a winger.

Gardyne had the nous of experience and we profited by that.

I honestly hope these two young lads do well for us but the fact is they have been loaned out to gain experience for their clubs.

What we really need is an experienced attacking player or two right now, paying half salaries on young players as part of their clubs training programme is not the way forward if we want to get out of this league. 

25 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Gardyne had the nous of experience and we profited by that.

I honestly hope these two young lads do well for us but the fact is they have been loaned out to gain experience for their clubs.

What we really need is an experienced attacking player or two right now, paying half salaries on young players as part of their clubs training programme is not the way forward if we want to get out of this league. 

Maybe so. I do think they will improve our attacking prospects somewhat. As long as Billy's not out too long. Can't see another forward coming in though.

6 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Joe Chalmers has bad as Ayr fans say?

Joe Chalmers was overall okay for us. He did have a spell where he was very good.

That seems to be the exception to the rule though as he has reportedly been awful for everyone else. Which happens quite a lot.