"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah Carson has a bit of bite about him.  Trafford and Vincent just look really slow and cumbersome.  There's no dynamism in the middle of the park with those 2 there.

Was just reading a post on CTO I agreed with, which is rare.  Why bring on Curry ahead of MacGregor?  The latter is our own players and has looked dangerous whenever he's been on the ball.  Is this Robbo being guilty (again) of 'nepotism' towards his own signings, rather than his inherited ones?

Is Curry better than MacGregor, no where near it as far as I can see.

Apparently MacGregor played 90 mins on Saturday against Nairn Saint Ninian. 

1 hour ago, micaley68 said:

Might seem strange but our biggest and fiercest rivals both on and off the park were neither Thistle or Ross County but the once mighty Elgin City??? My how the mighty have fallen.

Yip - Hellgin Shittee and the S*****o were the "enemy" for many years - especially in my 70's "heyday". I too stayed away for almost the first three seasons but the "bug" bit and although I still refer to the team as Caley I am ICT through and through.

6 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

!8 year old fledgling midfielders are rarely central midfield apprentices. 

Rarely, but not never. The best player on the park yesterday was a 16-year-old making  something like his fifth first-team start for Dundee. He was the deepest-lying of their central three and was able to release McGowan and Byrne to press our defenders, as well as looking pretty dangerous when he got forward too. It should be pointed out that their 3-5-2 formation did give him a bit more freedom to carry out that role, and I also think that he's going to turn out to be a really exceptional player, and we perhaps don't have anyone among our young players capable of playing such a role.  But it's not impossible. 

22 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Rarely, but not never. The best player on the park yesterday was a 16-year-old making  something like his fifth first-team start for Dundee. He was the deepest-lying of their central three and was able to release McGowan and Byrne to press our defenders, as well as looking pretty dangerous when he got forward too. It should be pointed out that their 3-5-2 formation did give him a bit more freedom to carry out that role, and I also think that he's going to turn out to be a really exceptional player, and we perhaps don't have anyone among our young players capable of playing such a role.  But it's not impossible. 

Think that either you and I could have patrolled the hole between our  non-existent midfield and the lone and ineffective White being fed by misdirected hoofs from our besieged defenders. I bet he ended up with a sore neck but no sweat stains. Anything is possible. Some contestant teams actually beat the Eggheads.

13 hours ago, micaley68 said:

Dyed in the wool Caley fan,  spent my formative years travelling the Highland league grounds following the club I loved. Was initially against the merger (was actually involved in securing the services of a lawyer from Perth to possibly block the motion) but eventually came around to the possibilities of what could be about to happen.

Many of my closest friends and travelling companions never came around and to this day curse the name ICT.

Might seem strange but our biggest and fiercest rivals both on and off the park were neither Thistle or Ross County but the once mighty Elgin City??? My how the mighty have fallen.

Likewise. Paid that lawyer a few hundred in the long run. 100% ICT now though.

Got mates who don’t go but what a ride they’ve missed over the last 25 years.

13 hours ago, micaley68 said:

Dyed in the wool Caley fan,  spent my formative years travelling the Highland league grounds following the club I loved. Was initially against the merger (was actually involved in securing the services of a lawyer from Perth to possibly block the motion) but eventually came around to the possibilities of what could be about to happen.

Many of my closest friends and travelling companions never came around and to this day curse the name ICT.

Were you in that double decker bus that some of the staunch Caley fans hired which you got to pull up outside the Telford St ground against the outside wall, and then the guys would  take turns to bawl abuse through the wee top deck slidey windows? before long all of the windows would steam up.

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Were you in that double decker bus that some of the staunch Caley fans hired which you got to pull up outside the Telford St ground against the outside wall, and then the guys would  take turns to bawl abuse through the wee top deck slidey windows? before long all of the windows would steam up.

No I wasn't on the bus at that game, at the time that was supposed to be a demonstration of the sheer frustration and bitterness between the Caley rebels and the board of directors caused by the proposed merger.

But looking back now after all these years that has to go down as one of the funniest moments I personally witnessed at Telford street.

Before all the windows kept steaming up the unforgettable banner "So you thought you could ban us Mr Falconer?" Was held up to the delight of the rest of us in the Howden end.

Can't imagine what Jim Falconer (rip) must have thought when that went up. He must have believed that he had managed to silence the rebels by handing out banning orders but possibly never realised the lengths some of the boys would go to to try and save their club.

13 minutes ago, micaley68 said:

No I wasn't on the bus at that game, at the time that was supposed to be a demonstration of the sheer frustration and bitterness between the Caley rebels and the board of directors caused by the proposed merger.

But looking back now after all these years that has to go down as one of the funniest moments I personally witnessed at Telford street.

Before all the windows kept steaming up the unforgettable banner "So you thought you could ban us Mr Falconer?" Was held up to the delight of the rest of us in the Howden end.

Can't imagine what Jim Falconer (rip) must have thought when that went up. He must have believed that he had managed to silence the rebels by handing out banning orders but possibly never realised the lengths some of the boys would go to to try and save their club.

As I recall the rebels hired the bus for at least a couple of games? and yes it was hilarious and definately brought a lot of attention.

History Lesson - I was referring to the Caley and Thistle fans who decided to go and add to Uncle Roy's coffers after the merger. I think that you will also find that many of the pre-merger Caley and Thistle fans had allegiances to "bigger teams" - mainly the Old Firm and Aberdire. Only warning in regard to any historical research is to avoid the Fairy Tale titled "Against All Odds".

These posts are looking like the perfect ending to the 18/19 thread !!!

Just now, TheScarf said:

It's fairly common knowledge that most County fans have Rangers or Celtic leanings.  Including most of them on here.

When ICT got near the SPL most people stopped having a big team. Beating Celtic in 2000 helped. It just took County a few years longer. Many of their posters up till fairly recently  still had big team avatars.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's fairly common knowledge that most County fans have Rangers or Celtic leanings.  Including most of them on here.

I think the same applies to some Caley fans, there was many references in our early days that the Caley Thistle strip was similar to Rangers, and remember Billy Urquhart who enjoyed a few years at Rangers before he returned to Caley, plus it was common that Rangers played HL teams pre season some years back so that was a great influence on fans in our area..