"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Anybody else not too happy about replacing OFW with Ridgers? Going for promotion with a keeper who has never played in the Championship and only really had one season playing in the Premiership, for a relegated St Mirren no less, doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

56 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Anybody else not too happy about replacing OFW with Ridgers? Going for promotion with a keeper who has never played in the Championship and only really had one season playing in the Premiership, for a relegated St Mirren no less, doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

It's a cost cutting exercise. Fon Williams is on a hefty salary and we can't afford to maintain it. Don't be surprised if others are moved on over the coming weeks to get the wage bill down.

John Baird and Mark Ridgers. What are you doing, Inverness? I always liked your approach in the market, unearthing gems all over the place. Baird is solid enough and should get double figures goals... a very real chance Ridgers will cost you the same number at the other end.

21 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Ridgers signing, amongst other things doesn't fill me with confidence of a quick bounce back for ICT ^_^

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

John Baird and Mark Ridgers. What are you doing, Inverness? I always liked your approach in the market, unearthing gems all over the place. Baird is solid enough and should get double figures goals... a very real chance Ridgers will cost you the same number at the other end.

By all accounts we're not expecting to go back up this season. We're simply looking to sort out the mess of the last couple of years and get ourselves sorted for a real push next year. I'd like to think that we could still work our way into the play offs but the moves so far aren't exactly filling me with confidence. Whilst we have a solid core of players from over the last couple of seasons most are on quite high wages and we need to shift some of them on and bring in replacements on the cheap. How I wish we still had the scouting setup we had under Butcher unearthing players like Hayes.

15 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Was he starting a lot for you last season? Or was he more of an impact sub?

He needs to play every week in my opinion. Got more and more inconsistent on the goals front the longer he was with us. Very streaky. Will go for weeks not being able to hit a barn door and then have a decent spell . He'll certainly run about a lot though.

I used to coach Scott at Clach. A superb finisher even at 14 year old. Think ICT snapped him up the year after then released him at under 19 level and he dropped back into the HL.

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:26, jagfox99 said:

Ridgers signing, amongst other things doesn't fill me with confidence of a quick bounce back for ICT ^_^

While it could be argued that a goalkeeper is only as good as the defence in front of him there were times when I despaired of OFW with cross balls when he looked as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, so his departure, if it does happen, wouldn't put me up nor down.

As for Ridgers, he has been about the block in his short career almost never achieving 1st choice but he deserves a shot and hopefully it may pan out for him.

McNaughton in the papers today saying that we said we'd offer him a deal then withdrew it without speaking to him.  I don't think we should've offered him a new contract tbh, but it's another one to add to the list of players and staff we've been treating like utter shite.

The club are acting like the last 10 years hasn't happened and that is cause for concern imo.

- Hiring John Robertson and a general return to hiring ICT old boys, such as Danny McDonald etc. Even going back to Errea as kit supplier;
- Not binning the likes of Brian Rice and Scott Kellacher who have played as big a part in our failings over the past couple of years as Hughes and Foran have;
- Unimaginative signings (i.e. players who have proven to be average at best in the league we are trying to get out of);
- Scouting the Highland League for players;
- Complete lack of communication with loyal staff and players;
- Not having a squad, or even a decent starting XI, at this point of pre-season.

None of these things would be worrying on their own, but when taken as a group they serve to signal a regressive attitude which differs markedly from the approach which allowed us to bounce straight back into the top league last time we were relegated. I think the boardroom changes that have played out over the past few months have allowed the dinosaurs to get their hands on the levers of power which is only going to be bad for the club.