"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Have to agree with PB1994 here, half of the team that will probably start v Brechin has won the Scottish Cup, played in the Europa League and cigared their way the top 6 for 3 years running.

I'd be utterly shocked if we finish outside the top 4.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

I didn't see much better than what we already had, but this was only 14 games rather than a whole season. Very soon our entire back four is going to need replacing and we could do with a decent option in the middle of our defence right now.

I suspect we don't have the budget to have options however nice they would be to have. If he isn't better than what we already have then there isn't any point getting him in. That said I do wonder if we might need to move some players on to save cash on wages so Laing might well return if he is signed up on a lesser deal than one of our current defenders if they are moved on.

I would imagine that we will operate with a small first team squad padded out by youngsters and loan signings. I doubt we'd have many potential first teamers in reserve. Guess much will depend on whether this rumoured investment from Savage comes to anything.

Last game I saw him in was the win we had At Dens in the penultimate game of the season. We played really well in that game but Mckay looked extremely shaky, like he'd just learned how to play football from a 'How To' ladybird book and every time he was involved he was trying to remember what to do.

We offered Blair Yule a deal but he thought it was too much of a gamble to move to full time football without the new manager having seen him and didn't want to come for a trial.

https://caleyjagsnews.com/2017/06/21/news-yule-signing-for-inverness-would-have-been-a-gamble/

Seems fairly sensible from Yule, be interesting to see how he does with Arbroath.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We offered Blair Yule a deal but he thought it was too much of a gamble to move to full time football without the new manager having seen him and didn't want to come for a trial.

https://caleyjagsnews.com/2017/06/21/news-yule-signing-for-inverness-would-have-been-a-gamble/

Seems fairly sensible from Yule, be interesting to see how he does with Arbroath.

He seems to be in the same boat as Rory McAllister in the sense that his day job pays very well and can combine the two.

19 minutes ago, RiG said:

I suspect we don't have the budget to have options however nice they would be to have. If he isn't better than what we already have then there isn't any point getting him in. That said I do wonder if we might need to move some players on to save cash on wages so Laing might well return if he is signed up on a lesser deal than one of our current defenders if they are moved on.

I would imagine that we will operate with a small first team squad padded out by youngsters and loan signings. I doubt we'd have many potential first teamers in reserve. Guess much will depend on whether this rumoured investment from Savage comes to anything.

Although I don't think we are as financially worse of as we were the last time we played in the 2nd tier, I would probably think on the balance of things with us still having some high earners on the books and the need to bring in more players probably on low wages. Laing would probably a little bit expensive for us anyway as I doubt we could match wages with the likes of Partick Thistle or Dundee if they wanted to sign him and of course he would be playing Premiership football.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Scott Boden is awful.  I'd be stunned if he starts the season with us, from the minute he's played for us he's looked completely lost and incapable of making an impact.  He was like that in matches against Alloa and Elgin City as well.  

Harsh. He notched 2 in an 8-1 win at Buckie pre season.

1 hour ago, caleyjaggi said:

P&J saying Baird deal done and we're going to have Joe Chalmers and David Ferguson, released by Motherwell, training with us from tomorrow. Also two young lads from England featuring as trialists soon.

Joe Chalmers at left back v Raith was undoubtedly the worst 45 minute display I've seen in a bairns shirt

If we're bringing in Mark Ridgers in that'd suggest Owain Fôn Williams is away. Even then though, bringing another keeper in seems a little strange given that we already have Ryan Esson (even if he is getting on a bit) and what looks like a really good prospect in Cameron Mackay who spent much of last season at Elgin. There's also Daniel Hoban who's quite young, but has looked decent in the Development League. I'd rather the budget was spent on outfield players which in a number of positions are badly needed.