"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

I've always been a bit wary of Gardiner due to his disasters at previous clubs even when some fans seemed to be lapping him up when he first arrived.  It's always been a matter of time until he put his foot in it somehow.

Just now, Highland Capital said:

I've always been a bit wary of Gardiner due to his disasters at previous clubs even when some fans seemed to be lapping him up when he first arrived.  It's always been a matter of time until he put his foot in it somehow.

Yep, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, mostly due to the amount of seethe he can create, but he has previous, and he isn't helping himself here.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, mostly due to the amount of seethe he can create, but he has previous, and he isn't helping himself here.

I remember when he first came in he was coming out with a load of stuff that was mostly low hanging fruit.  He was amazed the club had no city centre presence.  I don't think that's particularly unusual.

Just now, Highland Capital said:

I remember when he first came in he was coming out with a load of stuff that was mostly low hanging fruit.  He was amazed the club had no city centre presence.  I don't think that's particularly unusual.

It's an Old Firm thing for sure.  The clue was in the question there I suppose, given he supports one of them.  But yeah, you don't exactly go to Princes Street and see a Hearts and Hibs shop, likewise when you walk along Union Street you don't see an Aberdeen one.  

Was he implying there should be some kind of The Caley shop selling merch?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's an Old Firm thing for sure.  The clue was in the question there I suppose, given he supports one of them.  But yeah, you don't exactly go to Princes Street and see a Hearts and Hibs shop, likewise when you walk along Union Street you don't see an Aberdeen one.  

Was he implying there should be some kind of The Caley shop selling merch?

There hasn't been a Hearts shop in Edinburgh city centre for years.  A city centre shop was one of his ideas but it's hardly an original idea.  I seem to recollect him saying something along the lines of when he went to the centre of Inverness "you'd never know it had a professional football team".  But again, you could say that about most places in Scotland (and probably Britain).

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

There hasn't been a Hearts shop in Edinburgh city centre for years.  A city centre shop was one of his ideas but it's hardly an original idea.  I seem to recollect him saying something along the lines of when he went to the centre of Inverness "you'd never know it had a professional football team".  But again, you could say that about most places in Scotland (and probably Britain).

To be fair I 100% agree with him on that point especially on a Saturday when there is a home game on.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

To be fair I 100% agree with him on that point especially on a Saturday when there is a home game on.

Again though, you could say that about lots of places.  The location of the ground doesn't help.  Not saying it's right that that's the way it is, but this is a very low hanging fruit statement to make.

Guest Axle Grease
10 hours ago, Snafu said:

I don't believe for one second you have sat down and read either statement, but more likely needed the Daily Record dumb down translation to understand. :lol:

Get a job writing statements 

18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Used to be a Celtic one until it burned down. I was out of town that day, Beauly probably, no, Tain, definitely Tain.

18 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

The best example of this I have seen was in Trondheim when we played Rosenborg. The ground is not near the town centre and the day before the game looked like any pedestrian centre anywhere in Europe.

However on game day the streets were transformed with a display of small black and white flags with the club crest displayed outside shops and on lampposts . A simple and probably time consuming thing to do (Unless each shop had responsibility for their area) but it was highly effective and noticeable from the day before.

Used to be a Celtic one until it burned down. I was out of town that day, Beauly probably, no, Tain, definitely Tain.
The rangers one was next to the orange shop wasn't it. In Inverness

23 minutes ago, weirdcal said:
27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The rangers one was next to the orange shop wasn't it. In Inverness

Vague memory of it. Used to be a Rangers Social Club but it went bust. It's now a Mosque. :)

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

😄 Naah, your were definitely seen arson about in Inverness. 

1 minute ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Even better was "Super Caley go ballistic in a manner quite atrocious". Nice twist on an old favourite. 

15 minutes ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Any thoughts on the Daily Record calling you "the Highland minnows" this morning? I enjoyed that.

I think we are more worried about what are CEO is going to be saying rather than a newspaper.

16 minutes ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Any thoughts on the Daily Record calling you "the Highland minnows" this morning? I enjoyed that.

Can't say it bothered me. Anyone getting upset by a Keith Jackson article is doing life wrong.

After we won the title in 2003/04 we were initially denied promotion because we didn't have a 10,000 all seater stadium.  We proposed to ground share with Aberdeen but this was rejected.  However, following that we lobbied within the SPL (as it then was) and managed to persuade the clubs to rethink and we were eventually promoted and the rules on stadiums were relaxed, allowing us to properly redevelop our stadium for the top flight.

Between 2002 and 2013 we had four managers leave our club to take over at other larger clubs (|Paterson to Aberdeen, Robbo to Hearts, Brewster to Dundee Utd, Butcher to Hibs).  Each deal netted us a six figure sum, we very likely took in more than half a million pounds during that time just from these deals and every time we improved as a team afterwards.

If we were in either of those situations again, does anyone think that we'd have the same level of influence or be able to strike deals as positive for the club?  No chance.  People won't negotiate with us in good faith, why would they?  If we don't like their offer we'll just leak the WhatsApp messages.

Regarding an inquiry, I think the whole affair has been a shambles and in theory an inquiry would be a good idea but in reality, what's the point?  Say the inquiry came back and said that nothing improper was done, would our board, or the Rangers board or the Hearts board accept that?  No they won't.  If it comes back and says the whole thing was a big stitch up, then what happens then?  We kick out the chairman of 30 clubs?  The fact is that the accusations from our board and others are wooly and ill defined and any further inquiry would very likely be inconclusive.

The whole affair has dragged the name of the club through the mud, allied us with the nutcase fringe of Scottish football and served to reduce our standing and influence.  And for what purpose?  Absolutely none.  A complete failure on all levels by the club.