"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I see they have started demolishing the Rose Street two tier car park for the new hotel. 

And the planning application has gone in for....*checks notes*....another hotel on the site of The Ironworks. Something like 4 or 5 new hotels for Inverness city centre.

10 hours ago, RiG said:

And the planning application has gone in for....*checks notes*....another hotel on the site of The Ironworks. Something like 4 or 5 new hotels for Inverness city centre.

If you include the new one in Rose street that will make five hotels in the Academy street area, Station, Travelodge, Penta and the two new ones.

And all will be empty in the coming months.

I read an article last year about the over reliance on tourism in Edinburgh might come back to bite the city economically.  That referenced the growing movement to avoid air travel and reduce carbon footprint.  Obviously the virus has the potential to have a similar impact but multiplied many, many times over.  I can see a lot of Edinburgh businesses going bust because of this and from what i hear the same will be true in Inverness.  I'm not sure if Air B&B is as big a thing in Inverness as it is in Edinburgh but a lot of landlords are going to be facing serious losses from rental flats here.

15 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

If you include the new one in Rose street that will make five hotels in the Academy street area, Station, Travelodge, Penta and the two new ones.

And all will be empty in the coming months.

Absolutely ridiculous. Inverness will become a mini Edinburgh at this rate. There's precious little to go into the city centre for in the evenings outside of pubs / bars. At least a good live music venue gave some variety. Binning the Ironworks would be a ludicrous move.

39 minutes ago, RiG said:

Absolutely ridiculous. Inverness will become a mini Edinburgh at this rate. There's precious little to go into the city centre for in the evenings outside of pubs / bars. At least a good live music venue gave some variety. Binning the Ironworks would be a ludicrous move.

The Foundry is soon to open and you have the refurbished Blackfriars across the road and the Phoenix I believe is up for sale though there is planning approved to change the upstairs floors into flats.

The Ironworks is an entertainment asset to the city and I believe it will be relocated.

The two main tourists hubs for visitors in Scotland is firstly Edinburgh and then Inverness with it's proximity to the Loch and the "monster". Plus Inverness is the start and end of the North 500.

I wish they were coming to see the Famous Caley.

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I read an article last year about the over reliance on tourism in Edinburgh might come back to bite the city economically.  That referenced the growing movement to avoid air travel and reduce carbon footprint.  Obviously the virus has the potential to have a similar impact but multiplied many, many times over.  I can see a lot of Edinburgh businesses going bust because of this and from what i hear the same will be true in Inverness.  I'm not sure if Air B&B is as big a thing in Inverness as it is in Edinburgh but a lot of landlords are going to be facing serious losses from rental flats here.

Did a Google and there are an unbelievably 9,638 airbnb listings for Edinburgh with over 300 in Inverness.

You could be right re airbnb establishments going to the wall as I can't see the gov supporting them with loans/grants due to many of them not paying business rates.

I know a lot of B & B owners are up in arms about the airbnb movement but lets face it a lot of them close in the winter and are off to sunnier winter climes with cash they have taken and not declared. Pot/Kettle black.

Edited by SandyCromarty

9 hours ago, RiG said:

Never ever underestimate the capabilities of the Highland Council to be as stupid as possible.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Talk of a lock down being announced by Boris at tomorrows briefing.

It's looked inevitable for the last week or so.  I can't see any other way to stop the spread other than this to be honest.

Edited by Highland Capital

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It's looked inevitable for the last week or so.  I can't see any other way to stop the spread other than this to be honest.

Twenty thousand troops now mobilised.

Yet this morning two tour buses parked outside the Penta Hotel.

On 17/03/2020 at 09:54, SandyCromarty said:

I think like may others you've got your head in the sand.

- Not at all, I'm just not one for scaremongering and cowering. If I die, I die. I'm not going to run about and cry like an idiot. Again, if you want to, that's your choice. 

Of course people die all the time, whether it's natural causes, heart attacks or cancer, thats the normal way of things in life.

But thousands are dying earlier due directly to this virus and it will continue for many months.

- Erm, thousands of people die early due to cancer and heart attacks. Just like this virus killing people off, that's just a part of life. 

Businesses are closing, thousands out of work, stock markets in free fall and a recession looming.

That's not normal by any stretch of the imagination or denial.

Name the business' that have closed down and put thousands out of work directly due to this. A recession isn't normal? Where have you been living, exactly? 

A Dele Classic

Edited by SandyCromarty

That'll be that classic you replied "Really?" to then went into hiding over. 

You're now on your clubs page going on about TA members being put on notice that they might be required and complaining about tourist buses. 

You're an absolute mental case who should have his Internet connection cut. 

That'll be that classic you replied "Really?" to then went into hiding over. 
You're now on your clubs page going on about TA members being put on notice that they might be required and complaining about tourist buses. 
You're an absolute mental case who should have his Internet connection cut. 
A bellend of the highest order is Dele.

As flattering as it is, all this talk of bellends from 'Worktheshaft', I'm not that way inclined mate. 
Perhaps this can put to an end you quoting me all over the forum gurning for my attention. 
Thank you. 
Perhaps when you stop filling ICT topics with endless drivel I'll consider it.

On 20/03/2020 at 08:34, Dele said:

On we go in that case. See you in Gen. Nonsense in about ten minutes. x

If we all die at least me & many other ICT fans have actually seen their club lift a major trophy unlike you & many other Dundee fans.