"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

25 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

To be honest, even with Kenny Cameron being an absolute penis, it was right for Hughes to go at the time he did. The 2015/16 was a bit of a hangover of the cup win and we’d lost plenty of top players and replaced them with some shite. I think the 2016/17 season was destined to be a bit shit, whether Yogi, Foran or anyone else was in charge. I just wish we’d given Foran a coaching role instead of appointing him straight away.

There seems to be an attitude with some fans like Hughes was hard done-by, doing a good job and should've been allowed to stay on forevermore.  He had a bigger budget than Butcher and had the club at a far higher stock, yet signed some absolute cloggers.  We were always going to have an inferior team that season, yet he spent the budget (which be constantly bemoaned as being too small) on people like Dani Lopez and Liam Hughes, which were probably two of the worst players I've ever seen play for us (says a lot when Nat Wedderburn wasn't even close being his worst signing that season!).  The football being played that season was also tedious, boring and actually pretty ineffective. 

There's been tales of him going AWOL after the United saga and if true (and I believe they are) would be very unprofessional on his part.  Things had gone stale and despite the great season the year before, it was time for a change.  The issue was not Hughes leaving - it was how he was replaced.

Edited by Highland Capital

On 20/09/2019 at 22:02, Dee Man said:

In what way do you belong in the top flight?

Thank you. 

Which prompts the question, why not?

Obviously as a fan of a 'has been' team you think that we, as relative newcomers in your opinion, have no right to be in the Premier again, we are used to this arrogance from fans of teams with history from a bygone age and we sometimes get it from the 'never been' teams, but we're here so live with it.

In the all time SPL table (around 98 until 2013) we are 9th. That’s ahead of teams like Dundee, St. Johnstone, Hamilton, Livi, Dunfermline, St. Mirren and Partick Thistle.

In the all time Scottish Premiership table (2013 onwards) we are 10th, narrowly behind Hamilton and County, yet ahead of Dundee, Dundee United, Hibs, Livi, St Mirren etc.

We’ve also had 3 top 6 finishes since 2012, won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe.

I wouldn’t say we ‘belong’ in the top flight. I’d only say there are about 7 or 8 clubs who I would class as ‘top flight clubs’ though. I’d say we are one of the many clubs who could be one of other 4 or 5.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Which prompts the question, why not?

Obviously as a fan of a 'has been' team you think that we, as relative newcomers in your opinion, have no right to be in the Premier again, we are used to this arrogance from fans of teams with history from a bygone age and we sometimes get it from the 'never been' teams, but we're here so live with it.

Firstly, don't take this the wrong way, but how the f**k do you know what I think based on my one sentence post?

Secondly, the only teams that belong in the top flight are the ones who are there right now, on merit. 

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Firstly, don't take this the wrong way, but how the f**k do you know what I think based on my one sentence post?

Secondly, the only teams that belong in the top flight are the ones who are there right now, on merit. 

This is correct. Absolutely every team in the league system is where they belong. Anyone who says their team belongs anywhere else is talking shite.

The city of Inverness does not deserve a Premiership team and in many ways neither do aspects of the club - those who disagree need to review how 'tin pot' we act. There is no model of sustainability. Financially we don't 'cut our cloth' accordingly and seem against playing or developing youngsters for the longterm.  We have poor footfall and an inability to expand the fanbase - those who may cite StJ as similar examples, those have at least they have a good off-field business structure to fall back on.

On paper ICT is no better than a Championship club (mid table) until things change - if we achieve higher fans should appreciate and enjoy the success and ventures into the top flight as a novelty and not the expected. There's a host of 'bigger' clubs with better stability in terms of finances, sustainability and community roots that have been out of the Premiership for longer than ICT and have never won a trophy in some fans lifetime.

10 hours ago, Warren Mears said:

This is correct. Absolutely every team in the league system is where they belong. Anyone who says their team belongs anywhere else is talking shite.

we belong at Telford Street / Kingsmills*

*delete where appropriate

That and it’s mental expensive. But yeah, there’s absolutely zero being done by the club to entice the stay away fans back. Or get new fans.

I feel sorry for the players. Guys like Walsh, Welsh, Keatings. They must run out and see all the blue seats and think ‘Jesus we’re playing well every week and no fucker in this town wants to know.’

What can the club actually do to get people back in though? It is expensive but in reality it’s the going rate for championship games these days, plus we can’t exactly afford to lower prices even if it was an option.

I may be blinkered in this as I will go to every game that I’m able to go and see but if people don’t want to go then they won’t go no matter what the club do, which I don’t even know what they actually could do.

I don't think it's significantly more expensive than it's been in the past. Maybe taking a couple of quid off the walk up prices since relegation would be an idea but season tickets remain good value overall. Definitely agree that the club could be doing more. They have details of previous season ticket holders and people who have bought tickets in the past. Could they not be contacting them via a mass weekly email to try and tempt them back? Or are we straying into GDPR issues here?

Edited by RiG

One of the biggest issues is that we seem to have people at the club responsible for PR, communications & community interactions yet over the years this has never improved or kept up with social media or come out with new ideas or formats. I get we have made cuts and maybe some multi-task but it has been a dedicated role in the past also, there are smaller clubs or even fan based formats run better than ours.

if the board & club cant be arsed to sell the product and market it locally then who will know about it. Unless you are already a fan or avid follower then there is nothing around town to highlight and advertise upcoming games and 1 shitty board at the side of the A9 only seen coming southbound on the bridge is not adequate. There is a whole town & city centre which seems to be deviod of any link to ICT - FFS visit Dingwall and even on the main street links to RC can be seen in shops and outlets.

37 minutes ago, RiG said:

I don't think it's significantly more expensive than it's been in the past. Maybe taking a couple of quid off the walk up prices since relegation would be an idea but season tickets remain good value overall. Definitely agree that the club could be doing more. They have details of previous season ticket holders and people who have bought tickets in the past. Could they not be contacting them via a mass weekly email to try and tempt them back? Or are we straying into GDPR issues here?

Correct, the club has maintained limited price rises over the past seasons on ST's.