"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

19 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

Other than the Morrisons along from the Train Station (from Google Maps), is there any off licence on the way to the train station, from the ground? Just for getting the train back down a week on Saturday. Much appreciated in advance.

Obviously way too early for this post, but I’m giidy as f#ck for it ha!

18 hours ago, RiG said:

There is a Co-op in Church Street about 5 minutes from the station. More drink kept in chiller cabinets there than Morrisons.

What RiG said. BTW your post seems to imply walking in after the game on Longman Road, the A82. Everybody I know goes the other way, under the bridge and along the shore. If I'm up by train I go to the Innes Bar, which you walk past anyway, and then get the 1845.

I see we had a trialist called Taylor Thain on the bench against Wick.  If LinkedIn is to be believed, he's a Forres Mechanics player who was previously with Kettering Town and Joondalup United who play in Perth (the Australian Perth!). 

Edited by Highland Capital

33 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Joondalup are an Australian club and it looks like he was brought up there. He’s only about 17 I think so will be one for the U18s if he’s signed.

So they are.  I thought I'd heard of them before somewhere but he listed them as Peterborough for some reason.  

Funny game. Thought Saints controlled it until the second Inverness goal, after which the hosts managed the game well and balanced that with a real threat going forward with the subs Robertson introduced. 

Inverness were well organised in the first half but Saints passed the ball really well until it came that final ball and I'm not sure selected the right pass once. Very frustrating to move it so nicely, then not test Ridgers once. 

Looks like some promising young players coming through at Inverness too. 

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Funny game. Thought Saints controlled it until the second Inverness goal, after which the hosts managed the game well and balanced that with a real threat going forward with the subs Robertson introduced. 

Inverness were well organised in the first half but Saints passed the ball really well until it came that final ball and I'm not sure selected the right pass once. Very frustrating to move it so nicely, then not test Ridgers once. 

Looks like some promising young players coming through at Inverness too. 

Machado looks a real talent. I reckon he'll get a fair amount of game time this season. 

Was a good performance yesterday totally did not expect that. St Johnstone controlled the game untill our 2nd goal but they just didn't manage to test us that much pretty naive from our young RB Nicholson pulling the St Johnstone players arm. I thought Nicholson didn't have the best of games. But that's not a bad thing cause he will learn from it.

Was good work from Tom Walsh for our first goal laid it on a plate for Keatings who smashed it in the back of the net.

Todorov had a great game IMO looked pretty decent at CB & worked hard playing up front too. Was a great header from him for the 2nd goal. 

Brilliant work from Roddy McGregor for the third goal he found Mitch Curry who did a decent cut back to Machado who was in the right place at the right time & he took his goal brilliantly it was a pretty decent finish into the bottom right corner. Machado looks a real talent & I have no doubt he will get game time this season McGregor & Brown also look like they could be up for a first team challenge this season . 

Won't be getting too excited about a friendly game but me & my friend left Grant St Park in quite an upbeat mode.

It was a good game much better then our normal boring pre season games against the Highland league teams. 

Edited by Super Caley Man

It's very rare we play one Premiership side in pre-season let alone 3, so that's been a refreshing change. 

Our results have been good, but it's more the general play that I've been the most impressed with. Against all three we've had to defend for long spells and still not lost, on Friday against St Johnstone, we looked extremely dangerous in the 2nd half and should've scored more than 3.

Folk saying they're not getting carried away when we beat a better team than us are usually the same folk who say it's only a friendly when we lose to a worse one.  These games are vital and I think pre season is more of an indicator of how a team will do in the season than they think.

It's very rare we play one Premiership side in pre-season let alone 3, so that's been a refreshing change. 
Our results have been good, but it's more the general play that I've been the most impressed with. Against all three we've had to defend for long spells and still not lost, on Friday against St Johnstone, we looked extremely dangerous in the 2nd half and should've scored more than 3.
Folk saying they're not getting carried away when we beat a better team than us are usually the same folk who say it's only a friendly when we lose to a worse one.  These games are vital and I think pre season is more of an indicator of how a team will do in the season than they think.

For these young boys like Machado, MacGregor, Harper, Brown etc these friendlies will likely be the among the hardest games they’ve played. It’s good to see them get all this experience of mens football as we’ll probably need them all this season.

I agree with your point about pre-season. It has to be noted that between 2012 & 2015 (aka our golden period), in pre-season, we played Charlton, Birmingham, Fleetwood and Raith twice (when they were in the Championship which is far better than typical HL opposition). Then between 2015 & 2018 we played entirely HL opposition apart from County, St. Mirren and Elgin. Having good tests in pre-season might be better than people think.

One of the guys I was at the Hearts game with pointed out that Machado was up against Hearts first choice full-back. That’ll be the toughest game both in terms of the playing and physicality that he’ll have ever had so t wasn’t too surprising he didn’t have much influence. All a learning experience.

MacGregor looked quite sharp in the Hearts game and could see him, along eih Daniel McKay, being the players to get most time on the pitch this season.

People may have seen this already on Twitter or CTO, but the new ICT Fan Podcast The Wyness Shuffle has just launched - episode 1 previewing the new season is available now:

22 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

For these young boys like Machado, MacGregor, Harper, Brown etc these friendlies will likely be the among the hardest games they’ve played. It’s good to see them get all this experience of mens football as we’ll probably need them all this season.

I agree with your point about pre-season. It has to be noted that between 2012 & 2015 (aka our golden period), in pre-season, we played Charlton, Birmingham, Fleetwood and Raith twice (when they were in the Championship which is far better than typical HL opposition). Then between 2015 & 2018 we played entirely HL opposition apart from County, St. Mirren and Elgin. Having good tests in pre-season might be better than people think.

Indeed.  the only way you get better, in any sport, is by playing against players betters than you.  Playing against shite like Forres, Rothes and Elgin every summer is good for fitness, but it doesn't get you sharp for the league cup and start of the league campaign.