"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

That's us signed OFW.
I'm almost scared to ask as I seem to recall some negative posts about him, but what kind of player are we getting? Decent enough signing for our level?

According to a recent interview he gave up here he could barely walk during our relegation season but we still played him every week. If that is true, which wouldn’t surprise me the was the club was run/managed that year, then he is a solid keeper for the Premiership. He will have his moments where he lets one in that he should save easily but if he didn’t do that he wouldn’t have been playing for us.

Fôn Williams’ mistakes didn’t just start in his second season, they started in his first ever game. The only time I ever saw him for Tranmere he made an absolute clanger too. He’d make some top saves but he made far too many mistakes in both seasons, not just the one where he said he was injured.

I remember in the first season, people were speculating he wasn’t being dropped so that he would go to the Euros and we would get a large sum (likely spunked on some jobber like Jake Mulraney).

I’d say he’s a bottom 6 level goalkeeper, but it has to be noted that in the past two seasons he has only played a season in America and a handful of Championship games. He hasn’t played since around November.

14 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Fôn Williams’ mistakes didn’t just start in his second season, they started in his first ever game.

Yup, he failed to organise a wall for the Astra free-kick that ultimately knocked us out of Europe, though I tend to blame Yogi for chucking him in to that game the day after we signed him. 

7 hours ago, CaleyStan said:

Yup, he failed to organise a wall for the Astra free-kick that ultimately knocked us out of Europe, though I tend to blame Yogi for chucking him in to that game the day after we signed him. 

I always look back on that game and think he could have got a stronger hand to ball.

Mmmm. Doesn't sound too promising.

Cheers for the replies lads.
He's not a world beater just not a bad keeper. Will do a job if the defence pick up on his quirks and cover it before it's an issue.

As already said, I wouldn’t blame his organisation of the wall, he should have stopped that free kick. Was such a weak hand he got to it and it cost us so much.

Considering Astra got to the group stages that year I never thought there was any big difference between us over both legs. Granted I was steaming for both so happy to be corrected.

We were the better side in Romania imo. I remember their keeper making a couple of great stops in the first half. 

We were the better side in both games IMO which is remarkable considering Devine, Wedderburn and Lopez started both games.

I agree their keeper was excellent, he’s a Romanian international who plays in Turkey.

Astra got their goal and sat on it. I don't think we ever got to see what they had to offer as an attacking side because they never had to show it. 

As with PB1994 though, I was in no state to be forming thoughts on how the game was going at the time. Must've seen highlights of the second leg because I barely remember being in Romania.

Twitter rumours that Anthony McDonald is likely to be returning to the club shortly.  This is based on Jamie McCart saying he will see McDonald again soon which could well be a #lads trip to Butlins but I hope it's because McDonald is returning to ICT.

33 minutes ago, jagster said:

Could be talking about Meeting up at Angus Beith testimonial? Would love to see him back.

Aye quite possibly that. Taking it with a pinch of salt just now but we are meant to be interested in getting him back again. Fingers crossed we do.

I imagine he’ll be mainly a 3rd choice back-up. Robbo stated that he’s worked with him before and liked him so it doesn’t seem to be just a blind gamble. He’s never really had a settled club and we’re usually quite a settling club for players. I hope he does well for us.

Edit - I also imagine that’ll be the last forward player we sign.