"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve been told that all of our players are essentially up for sale (for the right price of course). You’d have to stump up a few quid to get him, but you might get him a lower price that one would ordinarily expect.

Every player in every Scottish team is up for sale.

I don't think it's as drastic as HC says. It's not like we're having a closing down sale. As per any point in our history if a club comes in with a decent offer for a player of ours then we are likely to entertain it and it will be no different with White.

If Partick meet our valuation of the guy we are just less likely to stand in his way than we might have been in the past (before we would ultimately relent).

So with this recruitment I'm assuming are we building for the Championship not the Premiership? While its great we dont miss out and get left behind without options for recruitment at a sensible budget we also have to hope we dont spunk all our cash on a squad without having room to being in some higher quality if we gain promotion.

It's a process that is known to work for clubs.  Motherwell sign a lot of guys from down south too and they do alright.  Played in Europe for God knows how many years in a row.

Just because Falkirk made a quite hilarious cunt of it, doesn't mean other clubs shouldn't do it.  Clubs worth their salt scout these guys and perform due diligence on them (injury history, if they're known mentalists likely to get sent off every week).  I'd wager Falkirk didn't do any of this on the jobbers they signed.

I've said it on here loads of times, players from down south, on the whole, are better than the ones up here, and they want less money.

22 minutes ago, sick boy said:

see Robertson going down the Paul Hartley road of signing random diddies from the english non-league.

Our last lot of random diddies from the English non league got us to the top half of the Premiership having cigared the Championship on the way with version 1.0 of the ICT Non Scottish diddy contingent. And as you know a lot of them also won us the Scottish Cup.

If you've got a good scouting set up and a decent manager it can work wonders. We were paying peanuts for folk like Vincent, Watkins and Williams. As Scarf says it just happened you had an absolute mess of a manager in charge. That's probably more to do with it.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It worked for us last time.  Paul Hartley is just a terrible, terrible football manager.

This plus never actually watching a player himself before signing them.

41 minutes ago, RiG said:

Our last lot of random diddies from the English non league got us to the top half of the Premiership having cigared the Championship on the way with version 1.0 of the ICT Non Scottish diddy contingent. And as you know a lot of them also won us the Scottish Cup.

Did any of your last lot of random diddies come from the eighth tier of English football though?  You need three promotions from there to even make it to the National League.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

It's a process that is known to work for clubs.  Motherwell sign a lot of guys from down south too and they do alright.  Played in Europe for God knows how many years in a row.

Just because Falkirk made a quite hilarious c**t of it, doesn't mean other clubs shouldn't do it.  Clubs worth their salt scout these guys and perform due diligence on them (injury history, if they're known mentalists likely to get sent off every week).  I'd wager Falkirk didn't do any of this on the jobbers they signed.

I've said it on here loads of times, players from down south, on the whole, are better than the ones up here, and they want less money.

fair point, but the 8th tier? cmon mate

19 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Did any of your last lot of random diddies come from the eighth tier of English football though?  You need three promotions from there to even make it to the National League.

my point exactly

Yep.  Falkirk just get a list of free agents, fly them up, sign them and do this model-like photo shoot with them and all their fans start fingering themselves before the manager has even seen them play, and they all turn out to be utter fucking shite. 

The best of that bunch for me was Marley Watkins.

Thing is that with our budget signing players is what it is and we have just to accept it.

Fact is a lot of these boys we sign turn out just fine and move on to more money, I would expect Coll Donaldson to move for at least £150,000 to £200,000.

Selling players at the right price is the business we're in right now. 

Wasn't Watkins one of our lowest paid players?  I'm sure I heard he was £400 a week or something.  And what a great move it was for him too - playing for the likes of Bath and Hereford to being our star man and setting him up for an eventual move to the Championship.

4 hours ago, Forfinn said:

To be more than fair and not at the WU.

As I said on an earlier I don't ever see your club going big in the transfer market, with all Roy's money and considering your last disastrous foray in the PL I would have thought you would have been looking at at least three experienced top six players right now instead of the likes of Joe and Coll who admittedly have done well in the championship.

Or are you giving it the make do and see how you get on for the first part of the season?