"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

26 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I don't suppose we'll ever know the reason Warren left, there's all sorts of totally uniformed speculation on his departure over wages, managerial fall outs etc etc, all the usual dross we get when a stalwart moves on.

My personal take is that given his contribution to the club I  felt he still had a role to play, I used to see him at every development game I attended assisting with coaching so why couldn't he continue along that route, I saw in  a club news release that Charlie Christie  was coaching the U17's  when I thought his role was Commercial Manager, surely there would have been room for Warren in that role.

Anyway it's all water under the bridge now.

As I said earlier I don't have a short memory and I Thank Him for his marvelous contribution over the years. 

It's public knowledge, isn't it?  His wage is too high.  Robertson has stated that publicly, well informed local journalists have also confirmed it.  Same reason Davies is away from County.  Nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with cost.  

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's public knowledge, isn't it?  His wage is too high.  Robertson has stated that publicly, well informed local journalists have also confirmed it.  Same reason Davies is away from County.  Nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with cost.  

We've allegedly paid up his contract in full to get rid of him. 

On 21/06/2018 at 17:44, Ludo*1 said:

Jordan Roberts any good? Unlikely we will sign him, but he's attached to the agency that we do regular business with and is free hence the link.

Jordan Roberts' finest moment in an ICT jersey

Assistant will almost certainly be Barry Wilson (if rumours are to be believed). Can't see anyone apart from Tremarco being the captain. He's the only guy we have in the side over the age of 30 now.

I appreciate what you're saying but in my experience there are no well informed journalists in football, they would like to give the general public that impression but in the main they are fed what the club wants them to know, another allegory is the impression that all newspapers have a journalist on the ground at most senior stadiums when in fact they depend on feeds from one or two local journalist hence why you see many papers and media with a similar story , journalist do not wander through changing rooms etc and garner news, they are herded into a room and given the guff the club feels is enough.
Remember Walter's Smith viewed  put down dismissal of Chick Young with Andy Roxburgh and you have the picture.
You are quite correct that Robertson stated Warrens high wages, here is Roberston feeding the P & J mid may;

Robertson said: “I spoke to Gary a few weeks back and discussed the club’s budget situation. With the cuts we are facing again, I explained the best solution for the club would be to move Gary on as he is on a Premiership wage and appearance fee.

“But I also made it clear I recognised he was under no obligation to go anywhere unless the move benefitted him and his family. I’ve said, if he stays, the club would have to honour his deal.

So from that, to me anyway, the door was left open with the ball at  Warren's feet and from Rig's earlier post it may well be that Warren left with a lucrative purse which cost us. IMO he probably would have taken a cut if he had been offered a coaching role which would have advanced his coaching aspirations.

BUT, it's all supposition and at the end of the day who the feck knows 

I’d suggest that you have no experience of the real world of sports journalism if you don’t think any are informed.

On your point about the same story appearing in multiple outlets, it’s quite simple. Either it’s because it’s news, and nobody can take out an exclusive on it which wouldn’t allow it to be mentioned elsewhere, or it’s because the freelancer who wrote it has sold it to multiple outlets. Journalism is no different to photography in that regard - how often do you see the same picture taken by a freelancer used in different papers?

There are press rooms, but there’s also plenty of opportunity to pick the phone up and talk to players/managers and officials, or grab a word with them after games.

The sooner people get the Trump-esque belief that the media just make things up to further an agenda against them out their head the better. Scottish sports media has flaws, but it’s no different to the rest of the world in that.

There was a rumour a few years ago that when Brewster left for the second time Alan Savage wanted to replace him with John Robertson and Barry Wilson but David Sutherland vetoed it, one of the things leading to Savage being sidelined.  Could be that he's a driver behind getting Barry Wilson in?

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

I can take it you're a journalist, and probably one of the thousands of media studies degrees that Stirling Uni pumped out into a fast decreasing business, hence your vehement defense of a trade which doesn't always come out smelling of roses, my wife and I some years ago were subjected to constant pressure and at times abuse from journalist's from red tops and broadsheets searching for muck on a dead friend of our's because he left a large sum of money, we even had photographers hiding in the bushes of the front garden, we declined to give any info and yet a story  was run on all of the papers which was so far from the truth that what it did was produce  filthy lies of a good man's life. 

So you see I have experience of front line journalism and I know the length journalists will go to sensationalise even the most benign story.

As Professor Blomberg told me when he was going through a rough patch with Greenpeace, 'Good News doesn't sell papers'.

As for journalists tapping management and players there is easy access online to a players/management /coaches template contracts which I'm sure you've read where it outlines communicating with media and all that the club expects.

As I said earlier you only have to access that video of Walter Smith and Andy Roxburgh taking the piss out of Chick Young which demonstrates the low esteem in which sports journalists are held, if that's not sufficient for you how about Fergie's seven year ban on the BBC which left other journalists tippy toeing into the Old Trafford press room.

That's why sports journalist's spend hours trawling websites like this for stories, how else did you as a supposed Dumbarton fan manage to come across my post in the close season??????

Scottish sports journalism is a joke as most of the posters on here will be more than willing to tell you.

:lol: Wrong.

You're basically tarring the entire journalism industry with one brush because of a bad personal experience you had X number of years ago. I've had bad experiences with plumbers, but it doesn't mean I assume that they're all rogues.

Of course some players and managers hit out with the same sort of stock patter, but there are plenty who don't. The key (as with anything) is getting to know them.

Edit: Just a wee addition to this. To get an interview with a pretty well known capped Scotland player a few months ago I emailed his club's press officer, got an email back saying go ahead and giving me his details. I don't doubt it's different if you're trying to speak to Raheem Sterling, but in Scotland clubs are usually pretty decent.

I'm not even sure I'll bother entertaining your 'supposed Dumbarton fan' comment. I've been posting on here since I was in school and I couldn't really be much more transparent about who I am. It's a multi-club forum, so don't be shocked when fans of other clubs reply to your comments.

Some aspects of Scottish Sports Journalism is garbage, I agree. But some of it is really decent. Like any other industry really.

Edited by Ross Forbes

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Half time France v Arg so lets see how football clubs regard sports journalists.

Fergie banned the BBC for seven years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Graham Spiers had to resign from the Herald due to Rangers threatening legal action against the paper for one of his totally inaccurate reports.                                                    The BBC's Chris McLaughlin was banned from Ibrox in 2015. Celtic and Rangers have banned jouralists for years.                                                                                                                         Newcastle United banned the Telegraphs Luke Edwards for inaccurate reporting.                                                                                                                                                                                               Crawley Town, Port Vale, Rotherham and Nottingham Forest have all limited the actions of individual journalists.                                                                                                                          Swindon Town have banned all media.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Liverpool some years ago banned all Sun reporters.

Etc Etc etc.

The thing is that with social media Clubs now run their own facebook and twitter accounts to inform fans and do not as they did in the past rely on journalists to do that job.     

Another failing with the written sports journalists is that they have no direct financial benefit to clubs unlike the radio and TV media who pay for their coverage,  in fact it's quite the opposite in that the journalists cost the clubs with their free access to games and freeloading the hospitality at half and full time.

Enough said for me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

If you're quite prepared to trust a club account as your only source of news then fair play. I trust that you believe everything that every political party puts on their Twitter accounts too?

Sports journalism and football clubs have a symbiotic relationship. The club like any other business wants the press to publish positive stories about them (trust me on this, I've been on both sides of the fence at DFC and work in PR at the moment) and the press want access to the club to get the best stories. Social media is huge, but it's also ignored by a surprisingly high percentage of the population.

In most cases (Liverpool and The Sun being an exception) clubs banning journalists is a sign of having something to hide. The BBC and Rangers being a key example of that.

Anyway, I'll let you guys have your thread back - but if anyone's interested in an 'Ethics of Modern Sports Journalism' sub-forum then sign me up!

Edited by Ross Forbes

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

If you're quite prepared to trust a club account as your only source of news then fair play. I trust that you believe everything that every political party puts on their Twitter accounts too?

Sports journalism and football clubs have a symbiotic relationship. The club like any other business wants the press to publish positive stories about them (trust me on this, I've been on both sides of the fence at DFC and work in PR at the moment) and the press want access to the club to get the best stories. Social media is huge, but it's also ignored by a surprisingly high percentage of the population.

In most cases (Liverpool and The Sun being an exception) clubs banning journalists is a sign of having something to hide. The BBC and Rangers being a key example of that.

Anyway, I'll let you guys have your thread back - but if anyone's interested in an 'Ethics of Modern Sports Journalism' sub-forum then sign me up!

Being a blacksmith was a thing.

On 29/06/2018 at 09:56, RiG said:

Assistant will almost certainly be Barry Wilson (if rumours are to be believed). Can't see anyone apart from Tremarco being the captain. He's the only guy we have in the side over the age of 30 now.

I was told Scott Kellacher by a pretty good source.

19 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Fergie banned the BBC for seven years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Graham Spiers had to resign from the Herald due to Rangers threatening legal action against the paper for one of his totally inaccurate reports.                                                    The BBC's Chris McLaughlin was banned from Ibrox in 2015. Celtic and Rangers have banned jouralists for years.                                                                                                                         Newcastle United banned the Telegraphs Luke Edwards for inaccurate reporting.                                                                                                                                                                                               Crawley Town, Port Vale, Rotherham and Nottingham Forest have all limited the actions of individual journalists.                                                                                                                          Swindon Town have banned all media.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Liverpool some years ago banned all Sun reporters.

Worst. Poem.  Ever.   Doesn't even rhyme.

5 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Any news on the possible new ass manager for us?

To be announced in the papers tomorrow morning.