"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

On 28/01/2018 at 08:57, Matty-RCFC said:

Speaking to one of my mates who’s one of you lot, says the two boys that played a part in the goal, + the other boy on the bench, are coming out of one of the best development sides since the Ryan Christie Liam Polworth era.

John Robertson recently made a claim that we have a cohort of contenders, but I must admit, i immediately thought of Mandy Rice-Davies

It's such a joy to witness the blossoming of young players, much more so than paying over the odds for journeyman itinerants, wouldn't you agree?

We have two players in the Scottish schools squad for the Centenary Shield, Mckay and Keiran Chalmers. Around the time of the open meetings with the board and management, I think Danny MacDonald said we had some of the best 16s he’d seen in his time at the club and he was involved with the youth set up when we had players like Graeme Shinnie and Stuart Armstrong in the set up. Of course, he’s always going to say that but hopefully we see some players making an impact.

On 1/12/2018 at 23:12, sophia said:

It was comedy gold.

The moment, the very instant of leather on leather, the seethe was instantaneously boiling and the "O" in "oh Polworth" was as tangible as it was audible.

It was premature articulation.

As for young Liam, as the stats testify, we might just have a star with a brightness about him.

A lot of us suffer from this.

1 hour ago, a9north said:

I see Van Der Weg has been let go by County, any good as cover for a defensive midfielder ?

Saw him on TV at the weekend , looked stiff , slow and cumbersome. Coyle's making the expected pigs ear of that job !

Apparently he can play both midfield and defence, just a thought,it's not like I'm his agent or anything,. He's been paid off by County so our wages might just about be enough to tempt him to act as cover in both areas until the end of the season. 

What do Inverness fans think of your club refusing to play us next weekend, meaning you will most likely have a midweek trip down the road instead of a Saturday one? And does anyone have any idea why the club refused?

Edited by DA Baracus

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What do Inverness fans think of your club refusing to play us next weekend, meaning you will most likely have a midweek trip down the road instead of a Saturday one? And does anyone have any idea why the club refused?

No idea. Apparently we had tried to get the Crusaders game played on the 10th / 11th and keep the original game against the Pars.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:44, RiG said:

No idea. Apparently we had tried to get the Crusaders game played on the 10th / 11th and keep the original game against the Pars.

Your game being off today makes this decision more bizarre and silly.

Baird was never going to be , or ever has been a 20 goal a season striker , he was brought in to contribute about 10 and also runaround a lot and be generally annoying to the oppositions back four. Bell is quoted as our high scorer in some papers so why did he not feature in the discussion. We also have Austin who looks like a new " Ted McMinn " given that he doesn't look like he knows what he is going to do next so how a defender would is anybodies guess. Given that Daniel McKay is still at school ! and is probably studying for his highers as we speak he is not the answer.  Doran , Oakley and Bell are the best we have currently , if and when Tremarco returns things will get better, if and when Mulraney sorts his sh-t out and contributes , things will get better , if and when Elbouzedi challenges for a place, things will get better, if and when our class midfielders manage to go without getting booked for more than 45 minutes , things will get better. Playoffs are the goal this season, I would love to see us there but I have my doubts and yes I would put us up against  Hamilton, County and the other Thistle any day of the week.

16 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Yes Bell is our highest scorer with 6 goals I believe but part of my post was the poor strike rate of Baird and Oakley, Bell has acquitted himself well since Geneva but he is still coming to terms with the more physical Scottish game, however I feel he will a great asset for us if he stays.

You mention that 32 year old Baird was brought in to contribute 10 goals, having scored three in 22 appearances I cannot foresee him attaining anywhere near the ten in the remaining  dozen or so league games. As I said,  running around the park at defenders is not what he is paid to do however much that may appeal to some, he should always be in a position to receive the ball and make inroads with it towards the goal not running wide against a left or right back. Old School maybe but that's how it works.

I know that pre season friendlies do not give a full account of a players ability but for me Elbouzedi was a stand out last summer so I was disappointed when he got injured, now that his month's loan to Elgin is finished  I can't wait to see him back in the team.

Many young players manage to combine and juggle studies with a professional football career so I don't for  minute  see that being a problem for Daniel McKay, I really want to see him  on the pitch more.

I also stand by my belief that we would struggle against lower premier opposition, go back to the RC friendly at Dingwall this season where we fielded a full first team, which included Elbouzedi, and we were well beaten and we really did look second best.

For me I think that it is inevitable that we will be in the Championship next season, and hopefully when he will have more time than he did t the start of this season John Robertson can bring us a couple of experienced strikers.

That is just not true at all.

Yes Bell is our highest scorer with 6 goals I believe but part of my post was the poor strike rate of Baird and Oakley, Bell has acquitted himself well since Geneva but he is still coming to terms with the more physical Scottish game, however I feel he will a great asset for us if he stays.

You mention that 32 year old Baird was brought in to contribute 10 goals, having scored three in 22 appearances I cannot foresee him attaining anywhere near the ten in the remaining  dozen or so league games. As I said,  running around the park at defenders is not what he is paid to do however much that may appeal to some, he should always be in a position to receive the ball and make inroads with it towards the goal not running wide against a left or right back. Old School maybe but that's how it works.

I know that pre season friendlies do not give a full account of a players ability but for me Elbouzedi was a stand out last summer so I was disappointed when he got injured, now that his month's loan to Elgin is finished  I can't wait to see him back in the team.

Many young players manage to combine and juggle studies with a professional football career so I don't for  minute  see that being a problem for Daniel McKay, I really want to see him  on the pitch more.

I also stand by my belief that we would struggle against lower premier opposition, go back to the RC friendly at Dingwall this season where we fielded a full first team, which included Elbouzedi, and we were well beaten and we really did look second best.

For me I think that it is inevitable that we will be in the Championship next season, and hopefully when he will have more time than he did t the start of this season John Robertson can bring us a couple of experienced strikers. and Oakley can do better. Running around and going wide pulls defenders out of position  and creates space for others to exploit. Oakley is better as a target man and holding the ball up than Baird.  So they both do different jobs for the team. Given our current resources, my starters would be Oakley and Bell backed up with Dorian and Tremarco to provide the width and pace  required  in today's game. We both want a20 goal a season centre forward, but so does every club and with our budget we won't get one quickly or easily. 

I too want to see more of young Mckay but as an impact sub for 20 minutes so that he has the time to mature physically and emotionally. Who knows what Elbouzedi can do but Id like to find out soon. 

I seem to have made a complete mess of my reply and mixed in up with

I had a keek at today's Courier in the supermarket and surprise surprise Inverness Caledonian Thistle do not appear on the back page again, as usual top spot goes to Ross County, I think it warrants a mail to the owners, Scottish Provincial Press, to rename the paper The Dingwall Courier.

Care to enlighten me about the supermarket thing? I haven t heard anything....