"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Let’s see what you say in January and/or after scoring stops at 9 or 10 goals.

That’s all we need from him to be honest.

It looks like we are going to be playing 4-4-2 this season, so it will be Duku and McKay up front mostly and McKay is the guy we are wanting/hoping/expecting to score the majority of our goals.

I must say I only watched him a few times for Raith, which was in the first half of the season, and he did look very good. I believe all of the opinions from Raith fans are all pretty reasonable so hopefully he can produce for a whole season, and we do have a bit of a reputation for players coming up north and becoming much better/consistent, but as I’ve already mentioned if he chips in with a few goals then that would be a good signing for us.

28 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Did anyone watch the stream of the game? If so how was it?

Vastly improved. A properly-operated camera on the west side of the pitch and another one in the north stand. Auld is a clear, unfussy commentator who knows the players well and it was great having Tokely there to provide some proper insights into what the team was doing well and what could have been done better, even though his pronunciation of some of players’ names was bizarre and he seemed convinced that Wallace Duffy (who wasn’t playing) is called Murray Wallace. I’ve got a season ticket this year but I’ll be lucky to make more than a handful of home games, so it’s a relief to know that I won’t be sitting through tracking shots of the officials’ bald spots to the accompaniment of Wikipedia entries being recited.

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've noticed this is the line taken by the Wyness Shuffle twitter account too. He's played one competitive game for you against a league one side. In the first half of last season, Manny Duku had his most prolific period outwith his time in either of the 8th or 9th tier of England. He was a lone forward in a team who were playing aggressive, expansive football where he was given plenty of opportunities. For whatever reason, things changed in January: it's been confirmed he had COVID but after returning to the same team he couldn't find the net at any point and was left out in favour of Gozie Ugwu, Jamie Gullan and Lewis Vaughan - all of them scored more goals during that period and Duku never threatened anything (same goes for Timmy Abraham who came in from Fulham).

I've had a wee listen to his interview on the Wyness Shuffle and he claims it was down to a "lack of communication" on the part of McGlynn and that the second half of the season was "the worst time of his career". You'd struggle to find a Rovers fan who has much of an overriding feeling of anything other than "meh". His goals in the first half of the season were vital in our campaign last season but he was never someone irreplaceable like Hendry. 

It might well be the case he bangs in 25 goals for you over the piece and leads you to glory. Fair play to the guy if he does. We're too busy focusing on Lewis Vaughan getting a good run this season.

Tbf, if Duku ran more than five yards for more than two balls tonight, the TWS account was always going to tweet something like that, after the largely dismissive feedback the Rovers supporters gave on him after he signed for us.  don’t think anyone really assumes after one game that he’s going to be the messiah and that Rovers supporters are either incapable of recognising a decent player or else consumed with bitterness at losing him; it’s more just trying to be really positive about the new season and also, to some extent, sending a wee message to Duku himself.

Tbf, if Duku ran more than five yards for more than two balls tonight, the TWS account was always going to tweet something like that, after the largely dismissive feedback the Rovers supporters gave on him after he signed for us.  don’t think anyone really assumes after one game that he’s going to be the messiah and that Rovers supporters are either incapable of recognising a decent player or else consumed with bitterness at losing him; it’s more just trying to be really positive about the new season and also, to some extent, sending a wee message to Duku himself.
The guy never showed up for the last 5 months of the season.

10 hours ago, foreverarover said:
11 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

The guy never showed up for the last 5 months of the season.

(rests chin with finger tips loosely touching)

and how does that make you feel?

Yep, was a great finish, apparently we played some really good stuff.  Still missing McKay and McDonald so we actually have depth probably for the first time since we were relegated.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Thought Duku looked good last night. He had a couple of chances in the first half that he could maybe have done better with but his finish was excellent.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, was a great finish, apparently we played some really good stuff.  Still missing McKay and McDonald so we actually have depth probably for the first time since we were relegated.

Watched that goal just now, and that’s exactly the kind of thing Manny is capable of…nicely finished from a lovely little chance. Why he just disappeared, even with the COVID discussion and such, was puzzling for a forward that had those flashes of brilliance. Well, hope he does well for you, except against us that is.

The 4-2-4 (and it really is 4-2-4) we've played the last two games won't work in the league.  As soon as we lost the ball yesterday we looked extremely vulnerable on the counter-attack and the two in midfield will be slaughtered by better teams. 

I've liked the look of Manny Duku so far (especially on Tuesday) but I do wish he'd not go down after feeling the slightest breeze.  He hit the deck and stayed down for ages while we were attacking in the second half yesterday only to get up and be totally fine after the ball went out of play.  What was the point in that?

Edited by Highland Capital

23 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I've liked the look of Manny Duku so far (especially on Tuesday) but I do wish he'd not go down after feeling the slightest breeze.  He hit the deck and stayed down for ages while we were attacking in the second half yesterday only to get up and be totally fine after the ball went out of play.  What was the point in that?

Manny left hearts in throats for the first few games until his enjoyment of short rests became clear. Don’t know if the physio is updating him on other scores or what, but Duku will keep him in business, usually once in the first half. It was a bit anticlimactic when he missed games for a hammy and an ankle injury.

On 18/07/2021 at 11:55, Highland Capital said:

The 4-2-4 (and it really is 4-2-4) we've played the last two games won't work in the league.  As soon as we lost the ball yesterday we looked extremely vulnerable on the counter-attack and the two in midfield will be slaughtered by better teams. 

I don't know what the point is but you had better get used to it. Happens at least once a match with him. 

On 18/07/2021 at 11:55, Highland Capital said:

I didn’t watch the Stirling game but I do agree. Against Peterhead I thought there were quite a few times in the first half where they always seemed to have at least one extra man free in the final third. Luckily they weren’t good enough to take advantage of that but in the Championship I could see the opposition creating a lot of chances. I personally prefer a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 as it gives you that extra man in midfield who can sit back.

One positive from Saturday was Gardyne who showed some nice touches and played a few cute passes for the likes of Duku to chase. Suspect when Mckay comes back we'll see a bit more potency in attack given their previous link up at County.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

I didn’t watch the Stirling game but I do agree. Against Peterhead I thought there were quite a few times in the first half where they always seemed to have at least one extra man free in the final third. Luckily they weren’t good enough to take advantage of that but in the Championship I could see the opposition creating a lot of chances. I personally prefer a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 as it gives you that extra man in midfield who can sit back.

4-3-3 (with three strikers) would suit us I think, especially if we're going to continue with Carson at right back.  You could play at least one of Doran, Gardyne or Walsh in the front three as well.  I think a midfield three of Welsh, Allardice and one of MacGregor, Carson or McAlear would work.  Could even imagine Gardyne playing in there.  The two goals we scored on Saturday were well taken, but I think that's more down to the personnel than the system.   

Is 3-4-3 an option?  Seems to be very in-vogue just now and would allow us to play Duku, Sutherland, Mckay and Walsh at the same time, but would have the defensive solidity as well.

Goal aside, I thought Shane was poor on Saturday.  He kept trying the Scott Allan reverse shroo ball all game and it didn't come off once.  Tomorrow night I'd drop him for Doran.  Welsh went off on the 40 minute mark on Saturday but from where I was sat he didn't appear to be injured.  Has anyone heard different or was it a tactical tweak? I really liked McAlear and if Welsh is injured then I'd maybe start him, although you'd want Allardice in from the start too to try and nullify Vigurs.

What was more alarming was the fact that we have the widest pitch on the planet, 2 natural wingers playing, yet we tried to play everything through the opponent's 2 narrow banks of 4.  Would it not have been better stretching them to the wide areas and pulling the defence out of position more?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

One positive from Saturday was Gardyne who showed some nice touches and played a few cute passes for the likes of Duku to chase. Suspect when Mckay comes back we'll see a bit more potency in attack given their previous link up at County.

At this point, that's what Gardyne does.  He doesn't have the legs to dictate games like he used to, but he still has enough in glimpses to change games.  Enjoy him, before he inevitably retires to become a coach at County/offshore worker for Global.

I didn't think Welsh looked like he was running very freely when he came off.  Hopefully just a precaution but we could've done with him taking a penalty.

I'm still unsure of Broadfoot.  He was decent on Tuesday, but on Saturday I got the impression that he'll be roasted against anyone with pace.  His ball playing out from the back was good, but Devine looked more solid when he replaced him in the second half.