"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Who knows who it'll be.  But everyone went megalolz at us hiring McCann and that turned out pretty well.  Interestingly there was an interview on the ICT fan podcast with a Dundee fan about McCann and he said that he was a great caretaker manager but couldnt' sustain it at Dens.  So maybe we've picked a good time to say farewell to mcCann.  ALso, McCann has a solid gig doing punditry for Rangers TV as well as other work he does, apparently, so perhaps he didn't want to jack all that in.

I remember reading the report about McCann snubbing Falkirk for their managerial position, one of the reasons given (aside from the obvious of course) was that he'd accepted an advisor role with a top player agency. Probably why he would've turned down any suggestions at staying on permanently.

Who even is both available and affordable?

25 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I remember reading the report about McCann snubbing Falkirk for their managerial position, one of the reasons given (aside from the obvious of course) was that he'd accepted an advisor role with a top player agency. Probably why he would've turned down any suggestions at staying on permanently.

Who even is both available and affordable?

Absolutely no idea. As long as Gary Locke or Ray McKinnon is nowhere near it.

Since Robbo is staying at the club it wouldn’t surprise me if, as said a few posts ago, we go for a younger manager like we did with Robbo/Brewster back in the day.

I think the chances of it being someone who's never been a full manager before is very high.  I can't imagine that we didn't offer it to McCann first but considering Robbo/Gardiner will be picking the new head coach (and bare in mind that the club want a 'head coach') I do worry it'll be some Hearts jobber.  Gary Locke need not apply.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Interestingly there was an interview on the ICT fan podcast with a Dundee fan about McCann and he said that he was a great caretaker manager but couldnt' sustain it at Dens.  

FWIW any Dundee fan I've heard on podcasts have usually been bletherin' bastirts only giving soundbites to whatever the theme of the room is at the time. There was one who was on Terrace and then a Dundee one who, within the space of a week, completely changed his opinion of the same player. 

We hadn't played that week. 

Would Beuzelin be a good appointment?  Certainly seems to be an experienced coach.  

What about looking at Paul Telfer again or someone of that ilk?  The English non-league has been a good market for us in the past.  Perhaps someone who's managed at that level would be advantageous.  

Edited by Highland Capital

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Who knows who it'll be.  But everyone went megalolz at us hiring McCann and that turned out pretty well.  Interestingly there was an interview on the ICT fan podcast with a Dundee fan about McCann and he said that he was a great caretaker manager but couldnt' sustain it at Dens.  So maybe we've picked a good time to say farewell to mcCann.  ALso, McCann has a solid gig doing punditry for Rangers TV as well as other work he does, apparently, so perhaps he didn't want to jack all that in.

Everyone certainly did not. I read a few comments online from look at me-ers but apart from that I found that most were willing to wish for the best for McCann.

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Michael Beale has applied apparently. First team coach at Rangers and previously with Liverpool, Chelsea and Sao Paolo.

This will make the job for the boys appointment of Gary Locke even more depressing.

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In fairness to McCann, he come in and just gave everyone that little lift they needed and reset the clock a few months.

The issues were just that he had this development philosophy that we went all into in the transfer market. The first summer it failed and he needed to change tact and return to our core of 'jobbers' (O'Hara for example wasn't liked by him but ended up being essential) and go more direct. The second summer, all those guys left and we were all in on that concept and had nowhere to turn when it wasn't working out apart from trying to recruit a new team in Jan.

He may be a decent coach but I think it was irresponsible the level the club bought into everything he did with no b plan and were happy to chuck money around. I think the Dundee job at that time was probably a very poor one for a first time manager, there's an unprecedented level of control over everything and a bit of a void so you're in a situation where you arrive and are really beholden to those agencies and wyscout to get players in.

I get the impression though that he's the sort who would only really take a full-time job up the ladder and wouldn't be prepared to chuck his punditry career to grind (which tbf, is much more secure). I can't see him having much of a management career beyond one or two caretaker jaunts maybe.