"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Scottish Cup 4th round replay extended highlights on Saints tv just now from the 91-92 match.  Following a 2-2 draw at Telford Street, over 10000 at McDiarmid Park for the midweek replay, including an incredible 3000 or so from The Highlands. 

Was Caleys sub Ian Polworth father of Liam, now at Motherwell?  And obviously Ryan Christie's Dad as well, who was a cracking player.  Did Paul Deas go onto play for Caley, seem to think Sergi Baltacha might have taken him there, but might be thinking of some other young Saints player?

I don't think he did. I recall he faced ICT a few times as a Livi player and I'm fairly sure he scored a ridiculous 40 yard effort at Almondvale one time.

16 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I was a young lad when this was played and went to it with my dad. We wrre on a mixed supporters bus of County & Thistle fans. IIRC it was seen as a big game for the Highlands and we went to Perth to back the Highland league club. 

I remember caley lost but what was the score again? 

3-0 Saints.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was 2 days old when that game was played, if you want to feel old.

I wasn't there obviously, just going on tales passed down through the generations :whistle

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

I don't think he did. I recall he faced ICT a few times as a Livi player and I'm fairly sure he scored a ridiculous 40 yard effort at Almondvale one time.

Ah ok, mixing you up with Livi then. Seem to recall you had a great rivalry with them for a few years as you were the two 'big' clubs rising through the leagues together.

Sergie maybe took Clayton Robertson and Allan Smart then, did they both play for Caley?

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Ah ok, mixing you up with Livi then. Seem to recall you had a great rivalry with them for a few years as you were the two 'big' clubs rising through the leagues together.

Sergie maybe took Clayton Robertson and Allan Smart then, did they both play for Caley?

Yeah we did. We (mostly) matched each other stride for stride in the lower leagues until around the old Division 1 when Livi went on a massive spending spree and basically cherry picked most of their challengers best players over the course of half a season or so like McCulloch, Wilson and Xausa from us and Tosh, Andrews and Burns from Raith as well as the Airdrie guys like Broto and Fernandez.

@The Mantis will likely be able to help you with the second part of your message :)

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Sergei probably took Caley backwards as he started treating Highland League clubs with too much respect, generally had a defensive style of play, and even committed a few howlers himself at the back.

Iain Polworth, he of the embarrassing goal celebration, is Liam's dad. Never heard of Clayton Robertson. Smart played for Caley in season 93-94 and scored the only goal in Caley's final trophy win, the North Cup. Think he came from Balbeggie Juniors/amateurs. He caused a bit of excitement when he signed but to say he was never popular with the Caley fans is a bit of an understatement. He started season 94-5 with Caley Thistle but incredibly got signed by Preston NE then went on to have a decent career with Carlisle and Watford. So he was the original in a long line of ICT Jake Mulraney/Joe Chalmers types of player who  make you wonder if you really know anything about football.

In that Scottish Cup tie at Telford Street, Paul Deas had to pay to get back in after Charlie Christie tied him in knots. There were 9500 at the replay and many Caley fans in the home sections, conveniently wearing blue. The away end (1800 I think) was full a good 30 minutes before kick off and some home fans apparently found one or two of the other stands full when they turned up at the last minute. Herchie hit the post late on which nearly gave us a deserved goal and something to celebrate, but we were ripped apart at times on the big park, especially by Allan Moore down the right against big Mark McAllister who is Bill's son. We played some great football though.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Scottish Cup 4th round replay extended highlights on Saints tv just now from the 91-92 match.  Following a 2-2 draw at Telford Street, over 10000 at McDiarmid Park for the midweek replay, including an incredible 3000 or so from The Highlands. 

Was Caleys sub Ian Polworth father of Liam, now at Motherwell?  And obviously Ryan Christie's Dad as well, who was a cracking player.  Did Paul Deas go onto play for Caley, seem to think Sergi Baltacha might have taken him there, but might be thinking of some other young Saints player?

Perhaps you are thinking of Paul Cherry?

Polworth snr certainly played for Caley after, I think, being released by Aberdeen.

As for the game, I remember it well and our bus after we enjoyed some hospitality, swept past all the vehicles on the A9 slip road and a general air of panic overtook us as we hurried to the turnstiles.

If we hadn't cheated the traffic, we wouldn't have made it into the ground.

I recall a screamer of a goal into the top corner.

Aye Paul Cherry came to The Caley from St Johnstone but that was Steve Paterson who signed him. 

I remember Paul Deas played for County for a short while. Think it was later on though. Maybe the 1st Division days.  He never played for The Caley.

45 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Sergei probably took Caley backwards as he started treating Highland League clubs with too much respect, generally had a defensive style of play, and even committed a few howlers himself at the back.

Iain Polworth, he of the embarrassing goal celebration, is Liam's dad. Never heard of Clayton Robertson.

Found him!  I was mistaken, he went to Clach. Forward to 5:30 in this video:

Smart played for Caley in season 93-94 and scored the only goal in Caley's final trophy win, the North Cup. Think he came from Balbeggie Juniors/amateurs. He caused a bit of excitement when he signed but to say he was never popular with the Caley fans is a bit of an understatement. He started season 94-5 with Caley Thistle but incredibly got signed by Preston NE then went on to have a decent career with Carlisle and Watford. So he was the original in a long line of ICT Jake Mulraney/Joe Chalmers types of player who  make you wonder if you really know anything about football.

He scored the winning goal in a play off final at Wembley to clinch promotion to the English Premiership as well.

In that Scottish Cup tie at Telford Street, Paul Deas had to pay to get back in after Charlie Christie tied him in knots.

Deas was one of the few local lads that Alex Totten gave a game too. Kinross lad I'm sure.  He was okay, but a bit lightweight, and probably not quite good enough for premier league standard.  Christie could and should have graced a far higher level. 

There were 9500 at the replay and many Caley fans in the home sections, conveniently wearing blue. The away end (1800 I think) was full a good 30 minutes before kick off and some home fans apparently found one or two of the other stands full when they turned up at the last minute. Herchie hit the post late on which nearly gave us a deserved goal and something to celebrate, but we were ripped apart at times on the big park, especially by Allan Moore down the right against big Mark McAllister who is Bill's son. We played some great football though.

Inverness did okay in the replay, but from watching the extended highlights, only 3-0 maybe flattered them a wee bit.  A great cup tie over the two matches though, played in front of two near enough full grounds!

50 minutes ago, sophia said:

Perhaps you are thinking of Paul Cherry?

Polworth snr certainly played for Caley after, I think, being released by Aberdeen.

As for the game, I remember it well and our bus after we enjoyed some hospitality, swept past all the vehicles on the A9 slip road and a general air of panic overtook us as we hurried to the turnstiles.

If we hadn't cheated the traffic, we wouldn't have made it into the ground.

I recall a screamer of a goal into the top corner.

Had forgotten Cherry went to Inverness as well. He was a real fans favourite at St Johnstone.

24 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Inverness The Caley! did okay in the replay, but from watching the extended highlights, only 3-0 maybe flattered them a wee bit.  A great cup tie over the two matches though, played in front of two near enough full grounds!

Could have been more, between Moore missing one on ones and big Roddy Grant 😂 Haven't watched your highlights, seen them often enough over the years. We had a decent penalty shout at least by 2020 namby pamby standards and hit the post. So could have been less too 😉 Still, if your auntie had baws.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He mentions "fatally flawed" often, which the situation within the SPFL has been, but appointed and maintains faith in Gardiner. Seems like a decent guy who has bought Gardiner's self proclaimed value.

There was quite a lot of points that made me very uneasy.  Claiming Scot Gardiner could be the best signing the club have ever made really didn't sit well with me at all, nor when he described the Caley Stadium as 'fabulous' (it's a dump).  Most of all, I really didn't like the way he said on a number of occasions how he was 'just an amatuer'.  I'm sure he's a nice man, I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but that interview made me really really really nervous.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Now that Hearts have been confirmed as being relegated to the Championship surely Stendel will walk? And if he does...

The last time a successful manager left Inverness for an Edinburgh club it turned into a bit of a disaster for him.

Where is Robertson based? Think I read somewhere that he has a flat in Inverness, but is his family in Edinburgh or close to it?