"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Duku’s pish. Gave up half way through the season. He’ll fall over a lot and not make any run he doesn’t have to. There’s a decent player there but no application.

I thought he'd be a cert for a move to Ayr. A good move for him, this. 

He is unorthodox, to say the least. Does things that just look weird and at times you wonder if he's on the pitch by accident. Saying that, it worked early doors for him and he banged them in despite that.

He seems to have fallen victim to the Covid outbreak the club had in January and is rumoured to have been suffering long covid. In his subsequent appearances, he was honking. He was always unorthodox as I said, but he looked like he'd never played the game before and was genuinely hopeless. Unsurprisingly, his appearances were limited as a result. 

He did enough early doors to merit another crack at this level, so interesting to see how he gets on. Could he a great signing, could be a poor one. 

Unfortunately for us, we are in prime territory for him to have his starting run of form as part of our standard defeat against Inverness in the second game. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, pantene pro-V said:

You won't be if he takes the huff for playing second fiddle. Which he will. 

Aye what I heard was he was constantly late and didn’t bother his arse in training so was dropped then took the huff. Don’t know how true that is but he seems to have bit of an attitude problem.

I think we might go for two up top, which would make him a starter every week I’d imagine.

I take on board what the Raith fans are saying but I’m not overly concerned. He’s not been brought in to be our main attacking option, that’s McKay, so if he chips in with 6 or 7 goals then great and if he is pish then he is gone at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Well Dodds is renowned as an excellent striker coach, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

The conundrum that is Manny Duku, started off like a house on fire, caught covid and then disappeared , reputedly a disruptive influence  in the dressing room, you'll be his 23rd club since he started playing in 2003, so really says it all 

No disrespect to Dodds, but if McGlynn couldn't get the best out of him, I very much doubt Dodds will either

On the plus side, he's rapid and has a good shot on him.  In and around the box his unorthodox style can be beneficial, and he's tall enough to generate panic at dead balls.

Against that, his game without the ball is middling at best, and he is pretty poor with his back to goal. Part of that is not having the game intelligence to know what run to make that best helps his team mates, part of it is what might charitably be called lack of application - if the ball is so much as 3 yards either side of him, don't expect him to move to get it. 

For us, Gozie Ugwu was miles better when it came to play the number 9 role, and even he was fairly average. Duku got some goals early doors, but some of that comes down to the fact no one got to grips with us at the start of the season, and we found ourselves playing in acres of space.

In the end, he's a bit of a curate's egg. Definitely has good attributes about him and I wonder if he wouldn't be well suited to a second striker role feeding off of a proper number 9 and crosses into the box in a 4-4-2. However, in terms of a more modern forward role I think he's badly lacking tbh. None of us were sad to see him go, and it's telling that Ugwu, despite less goals overall and less appearances would have been the one of the two centre forwards who weren't loanees that we would have kept.

49 minutes ago, renton said:

On the plus side, he's rapid and has a good shot on him.  In and around the box his unorthodox style can be beneficial, and he's tall enough to generate panic at dead balls.

Against that, his game without the ball is middling at best, and he is pretty poor with his back to goa, part of it is what might charitably be called lack of application - if the ball is so much as 3 yards either side of him, don't expect him to move to get it. 

For us, Gozie Ugwu was miles better when it came to play the number 9 role, and even he was fairly average. Duku got some goals early doors, but some of that comes 

Raith fans describing Toddy’s season in reverse. He was hopeless at the beginning, missed so many glaring  chances then was dropped. He also had no idea how to link up with team mates. 
new coach arrives and Suddenly he starts banging then in. Still not great with link play but his finishing improved immeasurably. I can only assume Dodds was able to get the best out of him 

I’m liking a forward mix of Walsh dorran mackay duku if they can stay fit Add that to a pretty robust choice in midfield and things look a bit brighter. 

Daily Record reporting we’re also signing 19 year old Norwich City midfielder Reece McAlear on loan. Highly rated down there allegedly. 

We are putting a very decent squad together. Still need at least centre half, a right back and a winger/striker though. 

39 minutes ago, Ott said:

Raith fans describing Toddy’s season in reverse. He was hopeless at the beginning, missed so many glaring  chances then was dropped. He also had no idea how to link up with team mates. 
new coach arrives and Suddenly he starts banging then in. Still not great with link play but his finishing improved immeasurably. I can only assume Dodds was able to get the best out of him 

I’m liking a forward mix of Walsh dorran mackay duku if they can stay fit Add that to a pretty robust choice in midfield and things look a bit brighter. 

Todorov started the season extremely well. Scoring in the first three league matches then being dropped for Storey for some unknown reason.

Edited by PB1994

23 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

woohoo

I must say I think that would have been a strange signing for Dundee or St Johnstone. Very happy to have him here though as even though he is 35 I still think he is more than good enough for the Championship.

Interesting we go for another centre mid. Probably where we're strongest at the moment already. Can't see anymore midfielders coming in now. Not too enthused by gardyne. But he'll have strong competition for a place in the squad anyway.

A younger striker might be nice too. Getting a much older lot of attacking players so far. But yeah, squad coming together now. And mainly looking for defenders now.

25 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

Daily Record reporting we’re also signing 19 year old Norwich City midfielder Reece McAlear on loan. Highly rated down there allegedly. 

We are putting a very decent squad together. Still need at least centre half, a right back and a winger/striker though. 

We have Carson and Duffy at right back so I don’t see that being a position we go for. Centre back and maybe a left back is maybe something we look at.