"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

On 03/02/2021 at 17:47, Highland Capital said:

Yeah those are good points.  People used to rave about Butcher's recruitment for example and it was good...but there was absolute rubbish too.  He might've signed Jonny Hayes, Gary Warren and Marley Watkins...but he also signed Gil Blumenshtein, Claude Gnakpa and the mysterious Andre Martins.

Andre Martins was decent tbf. Just very briefly.

On 03/02/2021 at 17:47, Highland Capital said:

Yeah those are good points.  People used to rave about Butcher's recruitment for example and it was good...but there was absolute rubbish too.  He might've signed Jonny Hayes, Gary Warren and Marley Watkins...but he also signed Gil Blumenshtein, Claude Gnakpa and the mysterious Andre Martins.

Robert Eagle and Dan Stratford.

I've wondered for a while if a 4-4-2 diamond would suit us now.  We seem very locked into the 4-2-3-1 again but I don't know if we've got the wingers to play that just now.  Harper and Duffy seem reasonable enough going up and down the flanks but I wonder if four in central midfield would give us a better hold on the game.  My thinking is have Welsh at the base of the diamond in-front of the back four, with Allardice and Carson either side and MacGregor (assuming Keatings is out) at the tip.  Vincent seems to go in and out of games and I think we need Carson's grit in the middle.  Storey and Sutherland both look more effective being played centrally, but in this system they could pull wide if needed.

Edited by Highland Capital

46 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've wondered for a while of a 4-4-2 diamond would suit us now.  We seem very locked into the 4-2-3-1 again but I don't know of we've got the wingers to play that just now.  Harper and Duffy seem reasonable enough going up and down the flanks but I wonder if four in midfield would give us a better hold on the game.  My thinking is have Welsh at the base of the diamond in-front of the back four, with Allardice and Carson either side and MacGregor (assuming Keatings is out) at the tip.  Vincent seems to go in and out of games and I think we need Carson's grit in the middle.  Storey and Sutherland both look more effective being played centrally, but in this system they could pull wide if needed.

Yeah I like this formation. I think it would work really well for us. It would give us a really strong and solid looking midfield and allow Storey and Sutherland to play in their favoured positions. 

6 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

https://ictfc.com/togetherness-ict-club-statement-on-virtual-tickets

Nearly 5k “virtual” tickets sold for our game with Hearts later this month, some effort that

Vast majority Hearts fans according to the article. I imagine you'll get a few more too. 

We've 2 games about 3 months, in the middle of the football season.  It's a good incentive for Hearts fans to give something back.

It's not a like for like scenario with Heart's situation in 2013, as fans of clubs (weirdly a few Killie fans were in tears over it on Twitter) seem to think.  Hearts have noticed Covid and the weather have killed our season stone dead, so they want to boost our coffers a bit.

Hopefully pre match we have a virtual hand holding ceremony as the Hearts fans and Caley fans join together and sing "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" in unison, before declaring a universal friendship between our two brethern clubs.  Then the match starts and Shane Sutherland stamps on Craig Gordon's bollocks behind the refs back and we win with a dodgy last minute penalty.

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We've 2 games about 3 months, in the middle of the football season.  It's a good incentive for Hearts fans to give something back.

It's not a like for like scenario with Heart's situation in 2013, as fans of clubs (weirdly a few Killie fans were in tears over it on Twitter) seem to think.  Hearts have noticed Covid and the weather have killed our season stone dead, so they want to boost our coffers a bit.

Uh huh. Covid and the weather. That's why Hearts fans are doing this. 🙄

Suuuurrrrrre it is, keep telling yourself that.

We ran a similar scheme and raised around £10k from it the other week. We didn't make ourselves look like complete bitches in the process though.*

*We're too busy doing that on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh. Covid and the weather. That's why Hearts fans are doing this. 🙄

Ok m8.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We’ve signed Anthony McDonald.

Happy with that signing. He looked impressive last time round for us and whilst not as good as Kai Kennedy he offers an attacking threat from the wide areas which we simply don't have just now. Doran prefers to check inside rather than hit the goal line for a cross, Storey runs in a straight line until he gets tackled and Sutherland is woefully ineffective on the flanks.

I'm pleased Anthony McDonald is back - he looked decent for us last time.  Not quite as good as Kai Kennedy was but still probably better as a winger than what we've got.  We could still do with at least one more body in though but apparently we don't have any more to spend.  

28 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:
9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
Uh huh. Covid and the weather. That's why Hearts fans are doing this. emoji849.png

On the assumption there is another reason, what do you think it is and why is it a problem?

I didnt say it was a problem. Its not a problem. Lets not take the piss though. Everyone with the slightest interest in Scottish football knows why Hearts fans are rallying round Inverness and it has not a single thing to do with Covid or the weather which are pretty irrelevant when games are closed door anyway 

If it was Queen of the South, or Raith Rovers, or Alloa, or, perish the thought, Dundee, very little would be incoming from Hearts fans who were largely threatening to boycott the rest of the division in the summer anyway.