"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I dont think anyone was actually treating that post seriously!

Worth mentioning Falkirk fans were emailing the SPFL when the Raith manager done a radio interview, so such pettiness does exist on here 😂

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning Falkirk fans were emailing the SPFL when the Raith manager done a radio interview, so such pettiness does exist on here 😂

Obe Falkirk fan. And it was HMRC he contacted I think. The SPFL are not responsible for policing furlough.

Highland Capital can correct me if I am wrong but I read that this morning and assumed it was too tongue in cheek to warrant reply. The ICT fans did too since none replied seriously.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

A Falkirk fan. And it was HNRC he contacted I think. The SPFL are not responsible for policing furlough.

Highland Capital can correct me if I am wrong but I read that this morning and assumed it was too tongue in cheek to warrant reply. The ICT fans did too since none replied seriously.

Sound.

Highland Capital is a well known fun sponge amongst the ICT support. It was him who campaigned against away supporters being allowed into the Main Stand after some of them were a bit noisy at one game.

21 minutes ago, RiG said:

Highland Capital is a well known fun sponge amongst the ICT support. It was him who campaigned against away supporters being allowed into the Main Stand after some of them were a bit noisy at one game.

Just standing up for the rule of law m8.

13 hours ago, RiG said:

I don't think they were making any noise, just that they were refusing to share the Werthers.

On 29/05/2020 at 08:09, RiG said:

Gargantuan podcast with Charlie and Ryan Christie dropped this morning. Great time with the easing of lockdown and the great weather but hopefully you will check it out! :lol:

https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/the-christie-legacy/

I listened to the whole thing and really enjoyed it.  I did a few issues with some things Charlie Christie said though.  I think he's letting his friendship with John Hughes cloud his judgement; he talks about how Yogi should've been given a new contract, but he got a three year deal the following season.  Christie talks about how we lost players for nothing like Shinnie and Watkins, well Hughes had the biggest budget in the club's history the following season and signed utter dross like Dani Lopez and Liam Hughes.  There's no doubt that Hughes is a good coach and overall did a good job but his time was up - the football in 2015-16 was largely ineffective, at times quite negative and he'd made enemies in the boardroom and of some of the players and don't forget his constant moaning in the press about not being given enough cash when he had a bigger budget than Butcher ever did.  Getting rid of Hughes isn't why the club is where it is - it's how he was replaced.

Christie also talks as well about how the town doesn't get behind the club.  For years, the club have acted like they're owed the support - it's got to work both ways.

Edited by Highland Capital

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There's no doubt that Hughes is a good coach

Isnt there? I genuinely dont know. His time at Raith didnt really imply he is a good coach but maybe it was just wrong club, wrong time and a toxic situation. He didnt last long at Livi or Hartlepool either.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Isnt there? I genuinely dont know. His time at Raith didnt really imply he is a good coach but maybe it was just wrong club, wrong time and a toxic situation. He didnt last long at Livi or Hartlepool either.

A lot of the boys in the Inverness team said he’s the best coach they’ve worked with. Guys like Tansey, Tremarco, Raven all said he brought them on leaps and bounds. 

But I think Hughes got very lucky with our squad as we had a very good team when he joined that Butcher had assembled and Hughes added a couple of players likeTansey and Ofere. Other than that his transfer dealings were absolutely rank rotten. 

TL;DR He’s a good coach but his recruitment is shit 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

A lot of the boys in the Inverness team said he’s the best coach they’ve worked with. Guys like Tansey, Tremarco, Raven all said he brought them on leaps and bounds. 

But I think Hughes got very lucky with our squad as we had a very good team when he joined that Butcher had assembled and Hughes added a couple of players likeTansey and Ofere. Other than that his transfer dealings were absolutely rank rotten. 

TL;DR He’s a good coach but his recruitment is shit 

Fair enough, it's just that without making any significant changes to the squad Raith went backwards / were no better under him. I would have expected a good coach, or at least a better one than Gary Locke, to get more out of them. Maybe they were just too honking to save.

Fair enough, it's just that without making any significant changes to the squad Raith went backwards / were no better under him. I would have expected a good coach, or at least a better one than Gary Locke, to get more out of them. Maybe they were just too honking to save.

They were just shite tbf but I don’t think it helped that he alienated a few different guys at the club and then threw them all under the bus after the St Mirren game.

However whilst guys like Bobby Barr hated him, Ryan Stevenson still claimed he was a good manager although I think he had retired by the time things started to get ugly.

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They were just shite tbf but I don’t think it helped that he alienated a few different guys at the club and then threw them all under the bus after the St Mirren game.

However whilst guys like Bobby Barr hated him, Ryan Stevenson still claimed he was a good manager although I think he had retired by the time things started to get ugly.

GL assembled a squad of shitebags (Bobby Barr being a prime example). He even swapped Vaughan for a clapped out Stevenson. Sometimes the initial manager dooms the team no matter who you bring in. Look at Hearts this season as a result of Levein.

I think Hughes is still a good manager. He lost it towards the end of his tenure with his rants about modern day players. All of which was true. I think the players escape a lot of the criticism due to Yogi's rants with folks thinking Yogi had lost it. That Raith team should never have been beaten by that Brechin team. It still amazes me and didn't turn out too well for Brechin!

With that being said I was glad he didnt get the Ayr job tbh.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Many of our players all rave about him as a coach - many say he was the best they ever worked with.  In terms of the managers we've had, as a coach he was probably the best, as a recruiter he was probably the worst.  He was only at Livi briefly and left to take over at Hartlepool who were miles behind when he took over and he did give them a chance of staying up but I think the renaissance came a bit too late.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Hes got a fucking cheek considering his boy supports Celtic.

Don't forget as well, when he was manager of ICT he'd often do his best to talk the team down.  "We're just First Division boys out there", "Hopefully *Insert bigger club here* have an off day and we take advantage" etc.  He was actually a decent manager for us, but his PR was absolutely rubbish.

Edited by Highland Capital

Just now, Highland Capital said:

Many of our players all rave about him as a coach - many say he was the best they ever worked with.  In terms of the managers we've had, as a coach he was probably the best, as a recruiter he was probably the worst.  He was only at Livi briefly and left to take over at Hartlepool who were miles behind when he took over and he did give them a chance of staying up but I think the renaissance came a bit too late.

Don't forget as well, when he was manager of ICT he'd often do his best to talk the team down.  "We're just First Division boys out there", "Hopefully *Insert bigger club here* have an off day and we take advantage" etc.  His PR for the club was absolutely rubbish.

To busy rattling the secretaries and office lassies if the rumours are to believed