"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

I think you're right actually now you mention it, it was on High Street. There was a wee ICT shop for a while, was that up in the centre right at the back? I've lived here most of my life, got a memory like a bloody sieve though. Dissolved too many brain cells in a mis-spent youth!
It was on the high street, think CEX is in where one was, could be wrong, been a year since last in Inverness and god knows how many since orange and rangers had shops there
I'm sure there was an image of it before doing the rounds.

Was the ICT shop not up the back of old eastgate side. Just after the clock?

On 15/05/2020 at 08:50, welshbairn said:

Puff pieces for Edward Mountbatten nearly every issue, and backing every loony tory facebook campaign against the Council. For as long as I've been here, which isn't that long.

The Courier is absolutely rubbish now.  Mostly seems to be regurgitated press releases and just reproducing what was said at the UK government Covid briefings with no proper analysis at all.

Edited by Highland Capital

11 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The Courier is absolutely rubbish now.  Mostly seems to be regurgitated press releases and just reproducing what was said at the UK government Covid briefings with no proper analysis at all.

Used to like the Tuesday edition because of a big history piece opposite the leader page. Boy's retired now so there's only the football and not much of that outside Caley and County.

Wish the West Highland Free Press would do an Inverness edition, that's a proper local paper.

Edited by welshbairn

I heard a while ago that the Courier (or the entire SPP network) had outsourced their sub-editing department to India.  I don't know if that's true but I imagine the paper's on it's knees these days. 

Edited by Highland Capital

Isn't the Courier about 60% adverts nowadays anyway? I normally get a look at the Friday edition when I head up for an ICT game but there doesn't seem to be much news for a newspaper.

I applied for a job at the Inverness Courier a few of years back.  Got an interview and when I turned up it turned out the job was to work in the advertising department...which was ironically false advertising as the advert had clearly stated it was for journalism!  I did the interview anyway (even though I knew it wasn't for me).  They never got back to me...

They had a reporter job going there a while back, so I applied for it.  Didn't get an interview as Napier isn't part of the NCTJ clique but this time I did get a reply - a rather condescending email from the editor. 

I don't think I'll apply a third time...

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I applied for a job at the Inverness Courier a few of years back.  Got an interview and when I turned up it turned out the job was to work in the advertising department...which was ironically false advertising as the advert had clearly stated it was for journalism!  I did the interview anyway (even though I knew it wasn't for me).  They never got back to me...

They had a reporter job going there a while back, so I applied for it.  Didn't get an interview as Napier isn't part of the NCTJ clique but this time I did get a reply - a rather condescending email from the editor. 

I don't think I'll apply a third time...

They did you a favour, and I'm sure you went onto better things.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I heard a while ago that the Courier (or the entire SPP network) had outsourced their sub-editing department to India.  I don't know if that's true but I imagine the paper's on it's knees these days. 

Hope so.

The building they lease would make a great bar/restaurant

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Used to like the Tuesday edition because of a big history piece opposite the leader page. Boy's retired now 

That would be Bill McAllister the long time labour man who would periodically drop in a wee side bar type piece that would generally be what some would refer to "yer da" observations and almost always snp bad.

That the editor saw fit to juxtapose harmless historical musings with crabbit political polemic was tin pot in the extreme.

As for Nicky Marr and her crushingly boring middle class weekly show off piece, that's chronic.

Lorraine Mann was a good read though and she was ahead of her time in eliciting letters from elements of the right wing readership

11 minutes ago, sophia said:

That would be Bill McAllister the long time labour man who would periodically drop in a wee side bar type piece that would generally be what some would refer to "yer da" observations and almost always snp bad.

That the editor saw fit to juxtapose harmless historical musings with crabbit political polemic was tin pot in the extreme.

As for Nicky Marr and her crushingly boring middle class weekly show off piece, that's chronic.

Lorraine Mann was a good read though and she was ahead of her time in eliciting letters from elements of the right wing readership

Can't remember if it was Nicky Marr or Lorraine Marr who got caught plagiarising whole articles without giving the credit.

Bill's wee etcetera pieces were 50/50 in my experience, sometimes spot on and taking on the editorial line.

Edited by welshbairn

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can't remember if it was Nicky Marr or Lorraine Marr who got caught plagiarising whole articles without giving the

I think it was Lorraine Mann.  She basically regurgitated a story from the Sunday Post as I recall.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

A long time ago my dad owned the Inverness Courier, if things had gone differently it could’ve been me you’d all be slating. emoji23.png

I doubt it, you come across as a knowledgeable and credible guy.

And I'm sure that in yer Dad's days the paper would be politically neutral and stand on it's own two feet and not go begging the public for money blaming Covid 19 while getting paid by the Government for furloughing staff.

Edited by SandyCromarty

Scottish Cup 4th round replay extended highlights on Saints tv just now from the 91-92 match.  Following a 2-2 draw at Telford Street, over 10000 at McDiarmid Park for the midweek replay, including an incredible 3000 or so from The Highlands. 

Was Caleys sub Ian Polworth father of Liam, now at Motherwell?  And obviously Ryan Christie's Dad as well, who was a cracking player.  Did Paul Deas go onto play for Caley, seem to think Sergi Baltacha might have taken him there, but might be thinking of some other young Saints player?

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Scottish Cup 4th round replay extended highlights on Saints tv just now from the 91-92 match.  Following a 2-2 draw at Telford Street, over 10000 at McDiarmid Park for the midweek replay, including an incredible 3000 or so from The Highlands. 

Was Caleys sub Ian Polworth father of Liam, now at Motherwell?  And obviously Ryan Christie's Dad as well, who was a cracking player.  Did Paul Deas go onto play for Caley, seem to think Sergi Baltacha might have taken him there, but might be thinking of some other young Saints player?

I was a young lad when this was played and went to it with my dad. We wrre on a mixed supporters bus of County & Thistle fans. IIRC it was seen as a big game for the Highlands and we went to Perth to back the Highland league club. 

I remember caley lost but what was the score again? 

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I was 2 days old when that game was played, if you want to feel old.