"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I'm not totally against bringing back former players in theory but I wouldn't want Tansey back.  All he had for us really was one and a half good seasons.  In 14-15 he was outstanding, the perfect foil to the more robust Draper and was like a metronome keeping things ticking over.  He wasn't the best central midfielder we ever had but he was a big part of that team.  Then came the whole Aberdeen saga and his form fell like a stone.  

He was absolutely rubbish in his first spell with us and rubbish in his last six months of his second.  He was rubbish at Aberdeen and has done little since at St Mirren and County as well as being constantly injured.  What we need is a robust ball-winning midfielder and that is not what he is.  I'd rather he stayed in the past.

Sean Welsh?

Sean Welsh?

I’d have him more of a playmaker.

My big issue this season is how much our midfield is looking like it is going to rely on Welsh playing. He’s a magnificent player, for this level, but his injury record is horrific. Can we really see him going the full season without an injury? Especially when he’s not had a proper pre-season.

On 29/07/2019 at 19:26, micaley68 said:

Dyed in the wool Caley fan,  spent my formative years travelling the Highland league grounds following the club I loved. Was initially against the merger (was actually involved in securing the services of a lawyer from Perth to possibly block the motion) but eventually came around to the possibilities of what could be about to happen.

Many of my closest friends and travelling companions never came around and to this day curse the name ICT.

Might seem strange but our biggest and fiercest rivals both on and off the park were neither Thistle or Ross County but the once mighty Elgin City??? My how the mighty have fallen.

still mighty never defeated

15 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

It’s pretty common knowledge that McInnes was fucking raging when we blocked Tansey from leaving late on. I said ‘I think’, so I never stated it as fact but there isn’t much else to explain McInnes signing Tansey after an awful season and stealing Miles fucking Storey from our hands at the last minute. Aberdeen were obviously pissed off with us.

Of course Del with his limited budget and attempt to stabilse the Dons as Scotlands 2nd team at that point was happy to spend his budget just to 'get one over ICT'' 🙄. He signed those players for several reasons, Tansey for his creative play and ability to pass so he could play alongside Shinnie and allow McLean to push further forwards and Storey because he actually had a decent return of goals in a struggling team and had the pace to offer something different in the Dons defence - something all Dons fans will tell you under Del they lack. The reasons for both their struggles at the Dons are different - but some of this is attributed to ICT itself. 

While I understand fans desire to always defend and support the club, its somewhat worrying the unconditional loyalty and unwilling to criticise as this is primarily one of the reasons over the last few seasons that the board have treated the fans with such contempt and failed to deliver on most promises while introducing spin that has made many fans turn against some of our better players over that time - citing greed, attitude, desire, commitment etc.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

What we need is a robust ball-winning midfielder

Agreed, but over 3 seasons we have lost 3 - Draper, Vigurs & Chalmers - each with similar but different attributes and all to the same club. The likelyhood of finding another to replace again will be a tough task - I think we all had hopes that Trafford could develop into that role but I think its beyond him. But without someone dominant in the center of the park its going to put a lot of focus on our defence - its an unglamorous role which nobody really notices or recognises but as soon as your team misses someone with those attributes its a real struggle.

Of course Del with his limited budget and attempt to stabilse the Dons as Scotlands 2nd team at that point was happy to spend his budget just to 'get one over ICT'' [emoji849]. He signed those players for several reasons, Tansey for his creative play and ability to pass so he could play alongside Shinnie and allow McLean to push further forwards and Storey because he actually had a decent return of goals in a struggling team and had the pace to offer something different in the Dons defence - something all Dons fans will tell you under Del they lack. The reasons for both their struggles at the Dons are different - but some of this is attributed to ICT itself. 

While I understand fans desire to always defend and support the club, its somewhat worrying the unconditional loyalty and unwilling to criticise as this is primarily one of the reasons over the last few seasons that the board have treated the fans with such contempt and failed to deliver on most promises while introducing spin that has made many fans turn against some of our better players over that time - citing greed, attitude, desire, commitment etc.

You’ll struggle to find someone that criticises the club more than me. However, to suggest it’s the clubs fault that Tansey had a sudden dip in form after another team came in for him, and then had a sudden career downfall, is absolutely ridiculous.

Edit - to also suggest it’s partly ICT’s fault that Miles Storey and Tansey failed at Aberdeen is also embarrassingly ridiculous.

Miles Storey failed because he was absolutely shite. Tansey failed because he was pretty shite for ICT beforehand, and wasn’t the player he had been. The likes of Mckay, Draper etc supposedly had ‘injuries’ and they’ve been alright.

9 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Agreed, but over 3 seasons we have lost 3 - Draper, Vigurs & Chalmers - each with similar but different attributes and all to the same club. The likelyhood of finding another to replace again will be a tough task - I think we all had hopes that Trafford could develop into that role but I think its beyond him. But without someone dominant in the center of the park its going to put a lot of focus on our defence - its an unglamorous role which nobody really notices or recognises but as soon as your team misses someone with those attributes its a real struggle.

Not sure I agree there.  I'd have Vigurs as more as a playmaker.  Chalmers was more of a sideways ball player.  We've not had someone properly robust in there since Draper.  I imagine Trafford was signed to fill that void, but he's not a patch on him.

I was at the game. It was the first time I’d seen the Brazilian lad and despite playing as a deep lying midfielder he played really well and scored a good goal. Daniel Mackay looked good as did Todorov (when he got the ball). Doran was quite quiet but I wasn’t impressed with Carson whatsoever. Looks really slight and couldn’t pass to save himself.

Carson looked the type that's only too happy to allow the game pass him by when he came on against us.I know you lot seem to rate the injury prone Sean Welsh, but central midfield looks to be a glaring weak point for you guys from an outsiders perspective. James Vincent isn't the player you need to be challenging. I'm sure he was decent for you last time (Cup hero and all!) but he's another that just lets games pass him by. And the less said about Trafford the better.

ETA: Can I ask what's the script with Doran? Always struck me as a very able player. Without disrespect, didn't expect him to be plying his trade at Inverness in the second tier of Scottish football at age 28.

Edited by Ludo*1

I wasn’t disappointed at all when Dundee signed Vincent. He just wasn’t very good and apparently John Hughes was going to release him anyway. He seems to have been signed for nostalgic reasons. I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest he’ll be a good signing. He should’ve stayed in the past.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

ETA: Can I ask what's the script with Doran? Always struck me as a very able player. Without disrespect, didn't expect him to be plying his trade at Inverness in the second tier of Scottish football at age 28.

Years of horrific injuries and long periods in rehab have taken a toll. Still has the vision but not the pace or maneuverability from years ago. Still a capable player but given his history there's unlikely a lot of clubs banging his door down to take the risk unfortunately. 

15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Not sure I agree there.  I'd have Vigurs as more as a playmaker.  Chalmers was more of a sideways ball player.  We've not had someone properly robust in there since Draper.  I imagine Trafford was signed to fill that void, but he's not a patch on him.

Agree with this. What's Lee Cox up to these days...

I'd be stunned if we take Tansey for White. I loved the guy during (most of) his second stint with us but he is wrecked and will surely be heading back south again. If Saints want to come in with a decent financial offer I am sure we would entertain it.