"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

I see some folk on CTO are picking people like Greg Tansey!  He was good for one season.  Others also picking Golabek.  He was a good player in his day but better than Shinnie?  No chance.

Loads of our fans try to be too nostalgic and pick players from when we were coming up the leagues. There are obviously guys like Tokely, Munro, Wyness etc that will make most teams, but our best period was very recently and a lot of players from that time should be in it IMO. Not Tansey though.

I was actually wondering about this. Is it the best players we have ever had or just a team of the biggest legends?

I mean I would have pretty much that whole 2015 team in my starting 11 apart from maybe Hayes, Andy Shinnie, Cowie and Rooney included.

That year we witnessed the best football we will ever see at the club with a hell of a trophy to boot.

I’m nostalgic like the rest of us but to try and say Bobby Mann is in the top two best centre backs we have ever had is bloody outrageous.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

I was actually wondering about this. Is it the best players we have ever had or just a team of the biggest legends?

I mean I would have pretty much that whole 2015 team in my starting 11 apart from maybe Hayes, Andy Shinnie, Cowie and Rooney included.

That year we witnessed the best football we will ever see at the club with a hell of a trophy to boot.

I’m nostalgic like the rest of us but to try and say Bobby Mann is in the top two best centre backs we have ever had is bloody outrageous.

I suppose the argument is that the question is 'how good were they in their time with us'.  Mann was brilliant for us (that passing - whoa!).  He would probably be too slow and hefty to play in the Premiership today but he was still a brilliant player for us.  I suppose it's down to how good they were at their absolute peak and how influential they were in the time they were here, regardless of how they'd play in today's game.

Edited by Highland Capital

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I suppose the argument is that the question is 'how good were they in their time with us'.  Mann was brilliant for us (that passing - whoa!).  He would probably be too slow and hefty to play in the Premiership today but he was still a brilliant player for us.  I suppose it's down to how good they were at their absolute peak and how influential they were in the time they were here, regardless of how they'd play in today's game.

Nanook’s back 😂

Xausa was decent. 17 goals from 41 says Wiki.

9 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I can't make up my mind about this. Mann, Munro, Dods, Meekings and Warren were all excellent centre backs in their own right. The latter two obviously achieved far more with ICT than any of the others and so it should be a no-brainer that they would make our best-ever team. At the same time, Mann's positioning, reading of the game and distribution from the back were absolutely superb; he stood out a mile in the second tier, and was the dominant member of a defence including Munro and Tokely, who both made the step up to the top flight pretty easily. Obviously Mann never played in the top flight with us, and I suspect that his fitness would have been found wanting  pretty quickly, but I always think that a younger, fitter Mann could have been one of the best centre halves in the country because he was such a natural in that position. So maybe, in choosing Mann (as I did), there's an element of nostalgia / legend-worship, but also an element of 'what if...?' and thinking about the player's potential rather than their actual achievements. Which might not be fair, but oh well.      

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Didn't Bobby Mann's wife, (a Policewoman), give some Caley fans dog's abuse on CTO years back when they criticised Bobby?

Cue Mantis the memory man.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I see some folk on CTO are picking people like Greg Tansey!  He was good for one season.  Others also picking Golabek.  He was a good player in his day but better than Shinnie?  No chance.

I was big fan of Golabeck as he always gave us 100% , but I'll never forget his tackle on Barry Wilson when Barry returned with Livingston the first time, the ref blew his whistle at the start and immediately Golabeck made a bee line for Wilson and body slammed him in the air, total feckin shock yet he didn't even get carded.

I was in the Garmouth Hotel bar the next day and there was Stevie Paterson as usual, I asked him about Golabeck's charge at Wilson and he said that it was his fault as all week at training and even before the game he had been telling Golabeck that he didn't want to see Wilson making a fool of him but he didn't bargain that he would take it so seriously.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Nah his testimonial match hasn't been arranged yet. 

Suspect it will be arranged after the Duncan Shearer Cup that we were told about 3 years ago.

On 04/07/2019 at 18:12, Tarmo Kink said:

Nominees for the ICT25 Dream Team

Goalkeepers: Mark Brown, Jim Calder, Ryan Esson

Right-backs: David Proctor, David Raven, Mike Teasdale, Ross Tokely

Centre-backs: Darren Dods, Bobby Mann, Stuart McCaffrey, Brad McKay, Josh Meekings, Grant Munro, Mike Noble, Gary Warren

Left-backs: Stuart Golabek, Richard Hastings, Graeme Shinnie, Carl Tremarco

Central midfielders: Ian Black, Paul Cherry, Charlie Christie, Ross Draper, Russell Duncan, Richie Hart, Liam Keogh, Mark McCulloch, Liam Polworth, Paul Sheerin, Greg Tansey, Iain Vigurs

Wide midfielders: Aaron Doran, Jonny Hayes, Roy McBain, Barry Robson, Davie Ross, Nick Ross, Danny Williams. Barry Wilson

Strikers: Martin Bavidge, Graham Bayne, Richie Foran, Billy Mckay, Paul Ritchie, Adam Rooney, Iain Stewart, Dennis Wyness

Unsure quite how Danny Williams and Brad McKay have made the list but there we go.

Edit - where is Ryan Christie?

Where do you vote?

11 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Didn't Bobby Mann's wife, (a Policewoman), give some Caley fans dog's abuse on CTO years back when they criticised Bobby?

Cue Mantis the memory man.

Rings a bell, but you know as much as I do... in fact more, if she’s a polis. Was it Lorraine by any chance?

10 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Rings a bell, but you know as much as I do... in fact more, if she’s a polis. Was it Lorraine by any chance?

It was around about the early noughties and it went on for some time with her defending Bobby and making a big deal over the sacrifices he made to play for us given that she was based in Dundee etc, hilarious at the time and Bobby must have been embarrassed.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Rooney, writhing about and shrieking like a woman in childbirth yesterday right in front of the stand, fud.

He's apparently done his ankle ligaments in so I think we can forgive him for not exactly laughing at that.

On 06/07/2019 at 22:46, The Mantis said:

Aye that was me 🙂 i made a comment on Caleythistleonline along the lines of i wasnt impressed with Bobby conducting his contract talks through the press ( which he had done at the time ) and she came on and slaughtered me for it.

2 hours ago, Oats said:

Aye that was me 🙂 i made a comment on Caleythistleonline along the lines of i wasnt impressed with Bobby conducting his contract talks through the press ( which he had done at the time ) and she came on and slaughtered me for it.

So you were the instigator, she certainly bit as many do.