Motherwell

Morton

Berwick Rangers

Queen's Park 

Edinburgh City

I reckon we're getting Motherwell away if last season's format is continued. I believe Edinburgh City use Meadowbank Stadium this season.

Edit - they're using Spartans ground.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year we drew Kilmarnock, Morton, Albion Rovers and Clyde so it's little different this season tbh in terms of location and calibre of opposition. Quasi-derby the only improvement.

At the end of the day as an unseeded part-time team we're very unlikely to progress: best chance probably beating the 2 part-time opponents, draw with one of the seeds and win the shoot-out. In reality the chances of that are quite low, especially depending on the order of the games and who we play at home... so content to treat it as an extension of pre-season.

Away to Cappielow last time so better to be home this time, which would mean a visit to Fir Park and perhaps make a wee bit from the gate.

Probably have a better chance of beating QP at home and Edinburgh City away than vice-versa.

Having said this no doubt we'll probably end-up with Morton (A), Motherwell (H), Queen's Park (A) and Edinburgh City (H) :lol:.

still annoyed at missing out on Hibs or Hearts. Ach well, I'll take a wee trip to Cappielow and maybe Hampden although the Well were good hosts to us last season..

well1.thumb.jpg.5c38a80d15d7f48407666aa26269f3dc.jpg

... better weather this time please though! 

All of the away days are good or something different. Don't be surprised if at least one of our home ties is switched to Airdrie after The Stone Roses gig fucks up the pitch.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

All of the away days are good or something different. Don't be surprised if at least one of our home ties is switched to Airdrie after The Stone Roses gig fucks up the pitch.

Suits me.

Last season we visited Hampden twice. On one of those occasions we gave a good account of ourselves and were proud of our efforts. On the other we watched a bunch of imposters disgrace the club.

On 2017-6-9 at 23:39, sammyreidloyal said:

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there son.
Memories of Warren Hawke v Derek McInnes

You've missed the point. It's Berwick away. Whatever the result turns out to be is of secondary importance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased with how it's worked out for QP. The first game will be little more than a sighter for Gus. Hopefully a bit tighter at Cappielow and then better than fair chances of two wins to run us into the new league season. I expect we'll still be trialling during this period too.

I really like this format and hope it stays. It was abandoned back in the seventies when the bigger clubs found it wasteful but for the diddy teams it's a great way to warm up for the league. Much better than Friendlies.

Delighted with the away trip to Edinburgh City because Ainslie Park is about 10 mins from my flat. Would have loved an away day down to Berwick too but never mind.

8 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

On the above, you can't play trialists in the league cup I'm sure, so that's the only real negative that I take from the changes to this competition. You need to have your squad signed up by July 15th, no easy feat.

A bunch of ringer trialists would diminish the credibility of the group stages. By virtue of being organised and not using the 'wait and see' strategy that served us rather poorly last season, we've already got a squad pretty much ready for the group matches.

Our target then has to be getting out of the group, which should be achieved by taking at least nine points. 

Best boozers in Berwick before/after the game chaps? Not been in many a year!

I aim to drink enough beer to disable a highland cow on the way down there on the train right enough so anything will do!

Archived