GE 2017 - predictions & likely outcome.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

SNP 45, Cons 7; LibDem 4; Lab 3 because I think anti-SNP tactical voting is going to get its act together this time.

No chance will the Unionist parties be that high and the SNP be that low.

No chance at all.

As I've said before, the council elections use a different voting method, have a lower turnout than a general election and are for completely different things.

It's like comparing suncream and fighter jets.

The only show in town will coast it.

Tory majority 25

In Scotland

SNP 51

Tory 5

Lib Dem 2

Slab 1 (But not in Edinburgh - Murray is gone).

Was tempted to put Slab at zero but am feeling generous towards them today.

Lab - hold a lot of seats. There were/are some amazing value bets for Labour holding lots of urban seats at the start of the campaign e.g Cardiff Central was 5/4 etc. If the Don't Vote/young voters do indeed vote then it's certainly game on for a hung-parliament, but will they? 

Tories small modest gains - mostly in marginals, and leafier towns/villages that once were Lab/Lib Dem. That "in the quiet of the polling booth" quote from Amber Rudd will probably be about right for most of the Guvnor population. I think the UKIP/Leave vote in the north of England etc won't necessarily go Tory and even itself out to both Lab and Tory. You might have a few auld Tories sitting out this election too; maybe not that many, but a few might thanks to the manifesto/campaign.

Lib - possibly even lose seats. Absolutely disastrous campaign from them and picked the wrong horse by campaigning on Brexit. They weren't to know I suppose as it was shaping up to be all about Brexit until mostly everyone began to realise how awful May is and her policies/campaign. Farron is terrible too with his poor man's David Brent quotes and ''I were just a northern lad'' is shit, and parochial. 

Greens - can't see them gaining seats, but think their share of the vote will go up.Been impressed with the two leaders whenever I have seen them, but people may like a lot of what they say, a lot will end up opting for Labour. I think they were hoping to win Bristol East (or West?) but imagine that'll stay Labour - if the polling is right.

UKIP - 3% on the day? Think they are polling about 5-6% but they'll no doubt get squeezed on the day especially in marginal constituencies where it is a wasted vote. They'll keep their hardcore 'we want our country back' voters.

Tory majority of 20-50.

2 hours ago, Fide said:

No chance will the Unionist parties be that high and the SNP be that low.

No chance at all.

I think the Tories will take Mundell's two adjacent seats in the borders and Dumfries. West Aberdeenshire looks gone as well, and they'll pip Tuba boy to East Renfrewshire. I think (or it might be blind hope) that both Robertson and Wishart will hang on through a probable influx of help from central office and their own personal vote. So Tories at +4 to 5 seats. Lib Dems looking good in Edinburgh West, but might lose Orkney and Shetlands? Call them at two out of three of O+S, Edi West and East Dunbartonshire. Looks like we will be stuck with Murray for the forseable and East Lothian was a pretty low majority so call them at two as well.

So all in all, I reckon SNP 50, Tories 5, LD 2 and Labour 2.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

I think the Tories will take Mundell's two adjacent seats in the borders and Dumfries. West Aberdeenshire looks gone as well, and they'll pip Tuba boy to East Renfrewshire. I think (or it might be blind hope) that both Robertson and Wishart will hang on through a probable influx of help from central office and their own personal vote. So Tories at +4 to 5 seats. Lib Dems looking good in Edinburgh West, but might lose Orkney and Shetlands? Call them at two out of three of O+S, Edi West and East Dunbartonshire. Looks like we will be stuck with Murray for the forseable and East Lothian was a pretty low majority so call them at two as well.

So all in all, I reckon SNP 50, Tories 5, LD 2 and Labour 2.

Wouldn't it be utterly tremendous though if the SNP took all 59 seats?

I remember prior to the 2015 election folk on here were predicting anywhere from mid 20s to mid 40s for the SNP, in the main.  I still think the SNP will bag at least 55.

1 minute ago, Fide said:

Wouldn't it be utterly tremendous though if the SNP took all 59 seats?

I remember prior to the 2015 election folk on here were predicting anywhere from mid 20s to mid 40s for the SNP, in the main.  I still think the SNP will bag at least 55.

In fairness, The pollsters were pretty decent in Scotland in '15. The had the SNP around the high 40s/low 50s and they came out at around 50% of the vote. This time I reckon they'll poll around 43-44%, with that goes lost seats. How many is subject to local variables but a re-adjustment is inevitable. Coming in around 45 to 50 seats is still a fucking dominating position to be in, if they can get it.

9 minutes ago, renton said:

In fairness, The pollsters were pretty decent in Scotland in '15. The had the SNP around the high 40s/low 50s and they came out at around 50% of the vote. This time I reckon they'll poll around 43-44%, with that goes lost seats. How many is subject to local variables but a re-adjustment is inevitable. Coming in around 45 to 50 seats is still a fucking dominating position to be in, if they can get it.

Agreed, but you know EXACTLY how the mainstream media and Ruth Davidson and chums will twist the SNP getting sub 50 seats.

6 minutes ago, Fide said:

Agreed, but you know EXACTLY how the mainstream media and Ruth Davidson and chums will twist the SNP getting sub 50 seats.

Aye, but it's unlikely to make a huge dent in proceedings.

Would absolute love it if the Tories were the largest party and the SNP put Corbyn in as PM. Along with a raft of powers to the Scottish parliament (including a permanent Section 30 to hold a legally binding referendum when ever we chose).

That should throw not only the Tories in Scotland over the edge, but also Blairite Labour members like Dugdale. Add England seethe at Nicola holding the strings!

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Tory overall majority of 60 seats.

SNP win 46 seats.

It'd be highly amusing if the Tories came out with the exact same majority they went in with.

Archived