On 2017-6-5 at 20:11, LondonHMFC said:

Go to Rome a fair bit to see Lazio, first and foremost, do not stay anywhere near the central train station (Roma Termini) an absolute hell hole of an area. 

I stayed on Via Cavour just across from the Opera House and had no problem at all with the area. Have stayed in much much worse areas in other parts of the world. Each to their own I suppose.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 14:25, git-intae-thum said:

Don't go to the vatican at the weekend. Its mobbed and you will be herded through the rooms like cattle. 

Last time we were their, you couldn't even stop to look in the hall of maps or sistine chapel.

Not an enjoyable experience.

I pre booked a timed entry ticket but didn't join a tour so was able to experience the whole of the Vatican at a leisurely pace - had a wee seat in the Sistine Chapel and saw various places around the site that the tours were bypassing.

Did pre-book a tour round the Coliseum and that was "here is this bit, NEXT, here is that bit, NEXT"

So I'd pre-book a timed ticket but not join a tour.

Without trying to sound like too much of a Brit abroad, are the hop on hop off bus tours any good there? 

Tbh, the historical centre is small enough to walk everywhere and I think you'd probably lose a lot of the experience doing it via bus.

If you do go for a bus tour, there's quite a few options, including a religious one for all the Bible bashers to see all the God shit

Tbh, the historical centre is small enough to walk everywhere and I think you'd probably lose a lot of the experience doing it via bus.

If you do go for a bus tour, there's quite a few options, including a religious one for all the Bible bashers to see all the God shit

Yep, easy to walk round and see all the historical stuff/main attractions with the exception of The Vatican; but it's overrated anyway.

Yeah, Vatican is more out the way but still a nice walk along the tiber on a nice day and gives you a chance to see Trastevere (a very cool former ghetto and now a trendy little suburb of Rome) and Castel Sant'Angelo which is connected via a secret tunnel to the Vatican in case Rome is ever under siege and the Pope needs to flee (Unlikely nowadays unless Rangers draw Roma or Lazio in European competition in the near future) .

On my last day in Rome. The metro & buses ate on strike so were chilling at the hotel until the next hotel shuttle runs.

Rome is an amazing place for sight seeing .the buildings are mind blowing. We booked our tickets for the Vatican and the Colosseum which bypassed the massive ques. We used the official websites too. 

There are scam merchants everywhere you go. At the Vatican we were told for an extra 40 euros each we could get into st Peter's square after the Vatican tour finished and it's the only way in. He said look we are official and pointed to a painting of the Vatican seal. I told him to bolt & we did enter the square after the sistine chapel anyway. Centhusiasm outside will offer you a picture with them make sure to better a price before hand I almost got caught out with that one. There are lots of africans trying to sell you hats  bangles water etc just blank them they will try sweet talk you before hand say it's free then ask for money for the baby etc they are annoying as f**k. I've also seen woman with kids on the metro they say a loud prayer and then ask for money everyone blanks them.

The metro is great you can get a ticket for 1 euro 50 cents that can be used on metro and buses for 100 minutes metro goes everywhere but we were warned by locals about pick pockets especially on the bus.

Terminus is a shitehole we saw 1 young asian girl giving cops a statement I think she had been mugged.

The Vatican was good but by end It was like being herded like cattle even without a guide. The Colosseum is amazing as is the Roman forum but you could do the Colosseum in an hour or so easy. Trevi fountain etc are all ok well worth a look.

Got to say I'm enjoying the holiday but it's the hottest place I've ever been to and the locals and customer service are shocking I now really dislike the Italians quite a bit total cu*ts if you need advice ask an elderly person much better chance.

My Celtic top has helped me a good few times too getting a convo about the footie is always good with the Italians tell them your Scottish not English helps a bit too.

Going to do the hop on bus in a bit too fkn hot to walk around today.

Chow

42 minutes ago, wulliamwallace said:

My Celtic top has helped me a good few times too getting a convo about the footie is always good with the Italians tell them your Scottish not English helps a bit too.

Image result for picard double facepalm

There isn't a big enough facepalm to describe the complete twattery of wearing a football strip on holiday, you may as well wear a big sign that says "I'm a c**t"

Away put your tampon back in. I'm proud to wear the hoops on my holiday & I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. I had a great time Rome is amazing the only downside is the locals are all rude twats.

Not normally one for football shirts on holiday but ended up buying Roma's away shirt when we were in Rome just for something lighter than a tshirt. Was a great decision looking back. Way better than walking around in a sweat-soaked tshirt in the searing Rome heat. Bought Orlando's away shirt in Orlando for the very same reason.

12 minutes ago, wulliamwallace said:

Away put your tampon back in. I'm proud to wear the hoops on my holiday & I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks. I had a great time Rome is amazing the only downside is the locals are all rude twats.

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Not normally one for football shirts on holiday but ended up buying Roma's away shirt when we were in Rome just for something lighter than a tshirt. Was a great decision looking back. Way better than walking around in a sweat-soaked tshirt in the searing Rome heat. Bought Orlando's away shirt in Orlando for the very same reason.

I'm guessing you guys have the collective intellectual capacity of a doughnut?

Tbh I found the Italians perfectly welcoming and happy to help.  Probably due to the fact I didn't walk about in a football top like a fanny and learned a few basic phrases.  As for beggars and people trying to sell you shite.  Name a major tourist attraction without them.

Also I went to that Cantina Lucifero that was recommended.  The best meal I've had in ages.  You know the foods gonna be good when it's ran by a fat guy.

Edited by Lofarl

• 5 years later...

Heading to Rome later in the year so hopefully ok to jump on this thread...

Omnia Travel Cards get absolutely shite reviews (are they indeed shite?) - I'm thinking of just buying a Vatican (etc) queue jumper and using public transport as and when we need it (most stuff within walking distance anyway) - any thoughts?

Looking to do the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Trevi & the Colosseum - presumably they're the must sees!? Is there anywhere else we should be looking to go?

And any food/restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated

Ta etc.

Edited by Ned Nederlander