10 minutes ago, wulliamwallace said:

Taking my gf to Rome in a few weeks time for a short break. We have 3 full days to go sight seeing & would like to go see all the usual sights, Vatican city etc.

Has any one been and do you have any tips/advice at all ? 

If you want to go to the vatican Id recommend pre-booking a tour. It means you skip the queues and get a guided tour of the highlights rather than wandering around all day.

Other than that, the usual places are well worth seeing, apart from the Spanish steps.

If you have time and want something a little different, have a look at the catacombs. They're just outside Rome but well worth a bus ride out to see, if you have the time. Theres also an old chariot racing stadium nearby which is pretty cool

I was just about to post something similar but @Mr X has beat me to it. The Spanish Steps were a waste of a very long trek in 30 odd degree heat. I have no idea what the whole fuss is about. The other sights are worth looking at though. And there's a wee gelateria near the Trevi Fountain that is worth a look if you like weird and wonderful flavours of ice cream. They do basil, truffle, mozzarella etc ice creams and if I remember right the prices aren't outrageous despite its location.

Also worth pre booking tickets for the colloseum. Lets you dodge the initial big queue plus gets you access to the forum. Pretty sure it's valid for two days too.

Castel Sant'Angelo is also a very impressive building. One of my favourites. Just round from the Vatican and it's where the Pope would flee if Rome was under attack via an escape tunnel from St Peters. Piazza Navona and Trastevere are also worth a visit

My favourite city in the world tbh. Can spend hours just wandering around aimlessly

Thanks guys, some great advice there. I have now booked tickets in advance for the Vatican and the colloseum tours. We are thinking about going to the coast for a day if we get time too. What's the best way to get around & did you get a taxi from the airport ? 

Looking for stuff to do or see at night too.

Thanks guys, some great advice there. I have now booked tickets in advance for the Vatican and the colloseum tours. We are thinking about going to the coast for a day if we get time too. What's the best way to get around & did you get a taxi from the airport ? 
Looking for stuff to do or see at night too.

We got a taxi from the airport - mental driver [emoji2]

The other two depend on where you're staying. Our hotel was a couple of stops further out from the coliseum on the underground so we tended to use that to get around. At night we went out around the hotel which had loads of bars and restaurants that were more local than touristy. Although we did have a meal one night at a restaurant right opposite the coliseum, which was really nice and, of course, an amazing view. That was nearly 15 years ago mind.

Don't go to the vatican at the weekend. Its mobbed and you will be herded through the rooms like cattle. 

Last time we were their, you couldn't even stop to look in the hall of maps or sistine chapel.

Not an enjoyable experience.

As someone else said, take the train out and have a wander round Ostia Antica. You can wander in and out the ruins and escape the crowds. (Don't miss the ancient tavern...the bar is still standing....although its not been open for business in a while.)

Only been once but thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was great and so much history to see.

I reckon human progress was set back at least 1,000 years by the fall of Rome.

Rather flippant but one sight that has stayed with me was the incongruous one of Roman legionaries on mobile phones against the backdrop of the Colosseum!!!!

Go to Rome a fair bit to see Lazio, first and foremost, do not stay anywhere near the central train station (Roma Termini) an absolute hell hole of an area. 

As others have said, Spanish Steps aren't up to much, never saw the fuss personally. Colosseum is incredible, as is the Vatican. Never done the tour, but meant to be quite interesting. 

Libri&Bar Pallotta near Ponte Milvio is a lovely little bar which has a library attached, lots of Lazio/Roma history in there. Well worth a trip out if you have time. 

Thanks again guys I'm buzzing for this trip now. We arrive on Tuesday night and are staying at the Sheraton hotel not quite in the city center but I got a good deal on it. The nearest thing to it is the gay village so we might try it for a laugh believe its an open air night club. Were booked in for the Vatican tour at 12:00 on the Wednesday. I thought about going early to catch the pope but unless he is wearing the hoops and gives it a chorus of Rome is green and white from the balcony I'm not that bothered about seeing him or the crowd. I know about the dress code but I've heard there is no back packs allowed in the vatican city either ? I love a bit of history and I'm buzzing for the colloseum and the Sistine chapel. Rome looks amazing.

What have the Romans ever done for us ?

Go to Rome a fair bit to see Lazio, first and foremost, do not stay anywhere near the central train station (Roma Termini) an absolute hell hole of an area. 
As others have said, Spanish Steps aren't up to much, never saw the fuss personally. Colosseum is incredible, as is the Vatican. Never done the tour, but meant to be quite interesting. 
Libri&Bar Pallotta near Ponte Milvio is a lovely little bar which has a library attached, lots of Lazio/Roma history in there. Well worth a trip out if you have time. 

Yep, as most folk have said, the Spanish Steps aren't anything exciting.
Trevi fountain is cool but gets annoying hearing police blowing whistles at folk constantly.
Colosseum is incredible and the audio tour is really good and informative and lets you get around it at your own pace as opposed to a guided tour. Enjoyed the Pantheon as well, cool building.
The Vatican starts off quite interesting and is pretty impressive, but after an hour I was bored out of my mind. Also the sheer amount of folk they cram in there on tours is ridiculous to the point you're packed in there like sardines and it's just a massive rabble, and nobody can hear their tour guide.

Dress code wise for the Vatican is the standard for religious buildings really. You technically can wear shorts that don't show too much leg but often depends on the mood of the guard you come across. Safest to either just wear trousers or at least have a pair on you to change. Unless you wanna end up like the countless tourists that end up buying a sarong from a nearby market stall and having to wrap it round yourself like a skirt!

Avoid vests and skirts too (presumably aimed at your Mrs but you never know)

Dress code wise for the Vatican is the standard for religious buildings really. You technically can wear shorts that don't show too much leg but often depends on the mood of the guard you come across. Safest to either just wear trousers or at least have a pair on you to change. Unless you wanna end up like the countless tourists that end up buying a sarong from a nearby market stall and having to wrap it round yourself like a skirt!

Avoid vests and skirts too (presumably aimed at your Mrs but you never know)

I think shorts are acceptable but ideally at least knee length I'm sure was the criteria. I thought I'd play it safe and just wore my jeans when we visited. Lesson learned: Jeans and Rome in the searing heat in June are a brutal combination.

I think shorts are acceptable but ideally at least knee length I'm sure was the criteria. I thought I'd play it safe and just wore my jeans when we visited. Lesson learned: Jeans and Rome in the searing heat in June are a brutal combination.

Get a pair of the light slacks all the Italians wear!

But yeah, best bet is wear reasonably long shorts but keep something in your bag just in case someone gets pissy about you showing your ankles. Least then you'll only need to wear it indoors rather than melt outdoors

22 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

It gets bad as you go along the streets right beside the railway lines, but you don't need to go too far in the other directions to get into reasonable areas that are no problem at all to stay in.