Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

Regardless of what happens to us next season, I'd imagine Harvey Swann won't be with us. I've seen enough of him already to think he can make the grade at a decent level - composed, skilful, can pick a pass and possibly our most technically gifted player. Very good attitude too.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popped along to game yesterday and think my eyes have just stopped bleeding from the hurt they seen .Berwick looked like a team two or three divisions above you guys in fact it's like the boys were pulled off the street to play ffs, it's a game o fitty boys need to get the fingers oot erse and start playing with pride n passion instead o being scared , wish you guys awe the best but it looks grim as 

Sixteen games left and we probably have to win nine of them to not finish bottom. Since we have only won one so far it  doesn't seem likely. However I am a glass quarter full kind of guy so I still see some hope. I think everyone would agree that Malcolm has been  a good signing and if the others are of  the same quality then we can expect  things to pick up. I don't. really like Cox because  of that nasty streak he has but he is clearly better than  anything we have up front at the moment. Malone unfortunately isn't. He is just not fit enough. As fans we all have our own opinions on who should be in the team and who shouldn't but as others have said the best thing we can do is get right behind the players on the park and trust in the management team to get things right.

To avoid the relegation play off -

2016/17 - we ended with 35 points so 36.

2015/16 - East Stirlingshire ended with 32 so 33.

2014/15 - Montrose ended with 33 points so 34.

We're basically needing 25 points in the final 16 matches.  8 wins and some draws. Basically need to win half of our remaining matches.  If we had started the season at that rate we'd be sitting 5th just outside the play-offs.  Does anybody on here really think that we can do that?  Unless Cox starts banging in the goals and Robbie Buchanan continues popping up with tap-ins then I'll be amazed if we avoid 10th.  

Saturday's result was an embarrassing one - Berwick hadt lost 4 of their last 5 and hadn't scored a goal in any of the 5 games.  They come to Central Park and bang in 3 goals - the same total they'd scored in all competitions since NOVEMBER began.

Our next 3 matches are against Stirling (x2) and Annan.   Stirling are in awful form - 1 win in the last 9 games.  Wednesday night is a must win.  No excuses, no margin for error.   We must go in to the match against Clyde on the 17th of Feb with some sort of confidence!

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

To avoid the relegation play off -

2016/17 - we ended with 35 points so 36.

2015/16 - East Stirlingshire ended with 32 so 33.

2014/15 - Montrose ended with 33 points so 34.

We're basically needing 25 points in the final 16 matches.  8 wins and some draws. Basically need to win half of our remaining matches.  If we had started the season at that rate we'd be sitting 5th just outside the play-offs.  Does anybody on here really think that we can do that?  Unless Cox starts banging in the goals and Robbie Buchanan continues popping up with tap-ins then I'll be amazed if we avoid 10th.  

Saturday's result was an embarrassing one - Berwick hadt lost 4 of their last 5 and hadn't scored a goal in any of the 5 games.  They come to Central Park and bang in 3 goals - the same total they'd scored in all competitions since NOVEMBER began.

Our next 3 matches are against Stirling (x2) and Annan.   Stirling are in awful form - 1 win in the last 9 games.  Wednesday night is a must win.  No excuses, no margin for error.   We must go in to the match against Clyde on the 17th of Feb with some sort of confidence!

Best just to plan for the playoffs and get the best team our resources allow. If we pick up points on the way great, but there is no way the team we had out on Saturday is going to pick up many points.

52 minutes ago, big al said:

this squad is so bad, some were purring about fotheringham playing 45 mins a few weeks ago because he made a couple of forward passes. hes built like the gable end of a house and has the fitness of peter kay. 

At least Fotheringham could string a pass despite not being match fit compared to Saturdays performance. 

If it was me that was the manager special treats at full time  like pizza would be out the window when putting in performances like that on Saturday and made to train first thing on the Sunday morning 

Keep the faith though Al you might go down in history and get a second interview with EK TV again lol 

We still have games left to escape this mess, but we need to improve dramatically to even start to move in the right direction. I still believe we can get out of the mire, but if we don't win the next few matches then we will be relying on Clyde and City losing most of their remaining matches AND we will have to beat them in the remaining matches we have against them. I don't think City will lose most of their games, so it is desperation time now. Every game has to be treated like a one off cup final. We have some good players and the others can raise their game. Get Malcolm back in midfield and Muirhead upfront with Cox.

43 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

At least Fotheringham could string a pass despite not being match fit compared to Saturdays performance. 

If it was me that was the manager special treats at full time  like pizza would be out the window when putting in performances like that on Saturday and made to train first thing on the Sunday morning 

Keep the faith though Al you might go down in history and get a second interview with EK TV again lol 

It looks like it will be Cove or Spartans this time in the play-off final.

50 minutes ago, PELE said:

Yeah could be looking like a 4 horse race in the lowland League as it currently stands EK Spartans BSC Glasgow and even East Stirling are closing in but Spartans have two games in hand. Cove look certain to win the Highland League 

I hope a miracle can happen to avoid another playoff pyramid match. It's still possible to do so but we must start winning from this Wednesday and no excuses. 

24 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Yeah could be looking like a 4 horse race in the lowland League as it currently stands EK Spartans BSC Glasgow and even East Stirling are closing in but Spartans have two games in hand. Cove look certain to win the Highland League 

I hope a miracle can happen to avoid another playoff pyramid match. It's still possible to do so but we must start winning from this Wednesday and no excuses. 

Spartans have 3 games in hand over East Stirlingshire and BSC and 4 games in hand over East Kilbride. It's theirs to lose basically. East Kilbride only have 8 games left, as it is a small league.

Pretty confident it will be either Spartans or Cove, although Fraserburgh are still hanging in there.

At least we won't have to worry about getting a ticket for the away leg of any play off final this time. Interesting to know if Cove will be in their new ground by then. Sure it is due to be finished in a few months.

2 minutes ago, PELE said:

Spartans have 3 games in hand over East Stirlingshire and BSC and 4 games in hand over East Kilbride. It's theirs to lose basically. East Kilbride only have 8 games left, as it is a small league.

Pretty confident it will be either Spartans or Cove, although Fraserburgh are still hanging in there.

At least we won't have to worry about getting a ticket for the away leg of any play off final this time. Interesting to know if Cove will be in their new ground by then. Sure it is due to be finished in a few months.

Yeah think they have started building it in partnership with Aberdeen City Council. Hopefully we will see that one day for our club either a redovelopment of Central Park or relocate to a new stadium. Central Park could ideally be a modern sports hub for the town in partnership with the likes of Fife Leisure with the leisure centre being next door. 

Or perhaps we could be the first senior club in our leagues to have an indoor stadium that would solve weather conditions and perhaps attract new crowds as it would be a totally different football environment. 

1 hour ago, PELE said:

Cove will be desperate to get into the league with their new ground getting built.

1 hour ago, Cowden316 said:

Spartans were my pre season tip for the LL and i'm still sticking with them.  Wondering if BSC have shot their bolt after being long time leaders have been a wee bit up and down after a good start,  EK have picked up and the Shire have been on fire in recent weeks after a sluggish start.

25 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Yeah think they have started building it in partnership with Aberdeen City Council. Hopefully we will see that one day for our club either a redovelopment of Central Park or relocate to a new stadium. Central Park could ideally be a modern sports hub for the town in partnership with the likes of Fife Leisure with the leisure centre being next door. 

Or perhaps we could be the first senior club in our leagues to have an indoor stadium that would solve weather conditions and perhaps attract new crowds as it would be a totally different football environment. 

Not sure if Aberdeen City Council have anything to do with the new Cove ground. Re your bit about CP back in the 1960s the Fife County Council wanted to buy it I believe and make it into a Meadowbank Stadium type place how things could have been different at present if that had happened.

As the Oriam cost £33m I don't think we will have an indoor Stadium anytime soon:lol: 

Edited to add

Just had a look at the Cove OS and the council do have something to do with the new stadium.

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Cove will be desperate to get into the league with their new ground getting built.

Spartans were my pre season tip for the LL and i'm still sticking with them.  Wondering if BSC have shot their bolt after being long time leaders have been a wee bit up and down after a good start,  EK have picked up and the Shire have been on fire in recent weeks after a sluggish start.

Not sure if Aberdeen City Council have anything to do with the new Cove ground. Re your bit about CP back in the 1960s the Fife County Council wanted to buy it I believe and make it into a Meadowbank Stadium type place how things could have been different at present if that had happened.

As the Oriam cost £33m I don't think we will have an indoor Stadium anytime soon:lol: 

You better be careful Andy you are getting just as good as David's historic knowledge of the club. Interesting fact didnt know that about the proposal in the 60s.

According to Coves site Aberdeen City Council are working in partnership with them to build a new stadium in some sort of lease agreement. 

Thought my suggestion was overly ambitious if that is the kind of costs involved. 

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Good to see that a few supporters have rallied to the clubs push for the remaining player sponsors which were left for the 2nd half of the season. Still a few guys left for anyone interested.

Hopefully that will give the right message to the players showing our support with them hopefully returning the favour with decent performances and results. 

4 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Hopefully that will give the right message to the players showing our support with them hopefully returning the favour with decent performances and results. 

My sponsored player is away out on loan to Burntisland Shippy but I suppose its a boost of sorts knowing someone is interested enough to sponsor you:)

Cove sold Allan Park to Barratt Homes for about £3 million and are supposed to be leasing the new Ground from the council in return for allowing some sort of academy to also use it. I think it's a 4G pitch and they have the Balmoral Group sponsoring the ground. Not sure if they get all the naming money or not. I think the ground is not far from completion. The stand was being built last September time.

Cove's ground is still a long way away from completion but should be finished by the start of next season. Having watched them a few times, and last night in one of their biggest games of the season, I have no doubt we should beat that side.  Lets hope it doesn't come to that but it looks like there wont be any other way sadly.

Archived