Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on Bollan would be that it is not a particularly good appointment tbh.
I'm not bitter about Bollan's stint in charge, disappointed though and happy to see him leave.
In his defence, we played some great football and absolutely strolled the playoff games (minus the first 70 against Annan) last season.
However, he took over a very good, although under performing, side from DC and didn't reverse the trend. Rab Douglas spitting the dummy out at GB's arrival didn't help either though, soooo many goals lost through our replacement keeper.
Last season Bollan bottled it and started going all defensive when we were way out in front. Only returning to the goal scoring formation on the last day of the season.
He seems unable to change tactics during a game, probably why he uses subs so infrequently.
He also alienates players, Foxy and Sanny had near 18 years between them at the club and couldn't wait to get out. Douglas refusing to play for him, TOB, Denholm and sWanky shipping out when they could. Dylan Easton, his own signing, allegedly putting in a transfer request after just a few weeks at the club. You get the gist.
That said, only time will tell. Hope it works out for Bollan and Cowdenbeath.

3 hours ago, NELLY said:

As for pIf layers coming in it may depend on 1 or 2 leaving or going out on loan or something (if out on loan surely to junior clubs)

the discussion about renton is baffling. He was very good for us and got a move up to a higher league (must have been doing something right) He is 5 times better than what we have currently. Its all about realism when signing players. He is a player who realistically we could get.. (IF alloa willing to let him go) Whom would others sign within a realistic world as a striker/centre midfielder. Fusco wouldnt sign he is happy at brechin. I would envisage someone like martyn fotheringham would be a good signing for us. Has ability he is at montrose but dont think he starts every week and has worked with bollan (maybe they dont like each other though who knows)

We have to be realistic some players wont want to join us because of our situation we are in- bottom of league/facilities/destination etc etc.Loads of factors.

Foxy......:lol: you guys have no idea do you?? :thumbsdown

I hadn't realised up till now that 'likeability' was the number 1 criterion for assessing a manager.  We need to be pragmatic here. What we want is a manager who will lift us out of the relegation zone. Liam Fox was likeable, as was Billy Brown.  Gary Bollan has a decent success ratio in previous jobs and knows the lower leagues inside out. He will quickly identify what is needed and will have ideas about who he can realistically bring in to the club., given our financial position.

If, in order to get the team fully fit and properly organised GB has to play the role of Vladimir the Impaler, so be it.  If some players don't perform because the manager is a tough guy  - precious souls - horse them right out the door.  This club is facing a crisis. What players tend to like is a manager who gets the team winning games. If he's likeable, that's a bonus. We're talking about survival, not about a beauty contest.  Alex Ferguson is on record as saying that a manager's first task is to exert control over the dressing room. He also said that he didn't care whether the players liked him or not, but he wanted them to respect him. 

I hadn't realised up till now that 'likeability' was the number 1 criterion for assessing a manager.  We need to be pragmatic here. What we want is a manager who will lift us out of the relegation zone. Liam Fox was likeable, as was Billy Brown.  Gary Bollan has a decent success ratio in previous jobs and knows the lower leagues inside out. He will quickly identify what is needed and will have ideas about who he can realistically bring in to the club., given our financial position.
If, in order to get the team fully fit and properly organised GB has to play the role of Vladimir the Impaler, so be it.  If some players don't perform because the manager is a tough guy  - precious souls - horse them right out the door.  This club is facing a crisis. What players tend to like is a manager who gets the team winning games. If he's likeable, that's a bonus. We're talking about survival, not about a beauty contest.  Alex Ferguson is on record as saying that a manager's first task is to exert control over the dressing room. He also said that he didn't care whether the players liked him or not, but he wanted them to respect him. 

Several players did perform but didn't respect him, then got dropped. Foxy and Sanny are very good examples, possibly Easton this season.
Tendency to play his favourites week in week out, irrespective of performance.

GB isn't too bad at bringing in good players though. Cox, Lister, Bain, Adam, McCallum, Millar, Easton among his better signings. A few duds too but an acceptable hit rate I would say.

55 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Foxy......:lol: you guys have no idea do you?? :thumbsdown

trust me foxy is wayyyyy better than what we have. Come and watch us and im sure you will agree. Maybe we can send mullen/miller or ally smith to you on loan free up a wage..

ahh ok im guessing they dont get on.. my bad. 

trust me foxy is wayyyyy better than what we have. Come and watch us and im sure you will agree. Maybe we can send mullen/miller or ally smith to you on loan free up a wage..
ahh ok im guessing they dont get on.. my bad. 

Foxy will not sign for GB. That was the gist of the post.
Rumour again, but GB allegedly banned Big Rab from attending Foxy's testimonial, which GB didn't attend.
I also suspect Foxy would have been gone a year earlier if it hadn't been his testimonial year last season.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Rumour again, but GB allegedly banned Big Rab from attending Foxy's testimonial, which GB didn't attend.
I also suspect Foxy would have been gone a year earlier if it hadn't been his testimonial year last season.

makes sense.. My post about that player was a realistic target for cowden players to sign. He aint realistic now because of his relationship with GB. Long story short with Gary Bollan dont piss him off eh..lol

makes sense.. My post about that player was a realistic target for cowden players to sign. He aint realistic now because of his relationship with GB. Long story short with Gary Bollan dont piss him off eh..lol

Unfortunately for Bollan, the McLean/Ferguson managerial style isn't overly effective at part time clubs.
Players are generally on a year to year contract and the football isn't their main income. If the manager drops them due to a disagreement they'll most likely sit it out until their contract expires or the board shift them on as a waste of wage.

6 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Bollan's struggles suggest to me things get stale quickly, man management-wise, tactically and in training. I'd expect an upturn in form from Cowden as he organises things, but he seems one-dimensional and I wouldn't be surprised if you're still in trouble come the end of the season when the novelty wears off and teams begin finding his side out tactically again. I certainly don't think Cowden have the 'quality' that they did last season to see em through. It's an awful squad.

This.

Bollan will get the team organised, and for a team in bad form even something as basic as that is a major improvement - as we saw ourselves when he came it.  Problem is, the man is constitutionally incapable of changing things up during a game when Plan A isn't working, and flat out refuses to make any substitutions before about the 87th minute.

39 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Allegedly

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Unfortunately for Bollan, the McLean/Ferguson managerial style isn't overly effective at part time clubs.
Players are generally on a year to year contract and the football isn't their main income. If the manager drops them due to a disagreement they'll most likely sit it out until their contract expires or the board shift them on as a waste of wage.

makes sense

According to website 44 applications and some good quality ones  amongst them. The board will have interviewed at length those most promising so we have to trust their judgment. I'm sure they were already aware of everything that has been posted here about Bollan and will have factored that in before making  their decision. It will be interesting to see what team is selected on Saturday.

2 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

According to website 44 applications and some good quality ones  amongst them. The board will have interviewed at length those most promising so we have to trust their judgment. I'm sure they were already aware of everything that has been posted here about Bollan and will have factored that in before making  their decision. It will be interesting to see what team is selected on Saturday.

Gary Bollan was the pick so I'm guessing the standard of applications wasn't that high.

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

very good point sir

Archived