Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

Can we expect to hear this week that we have a new manager? The anticipation is unbearable!

As others have mentioned, would love Murray but I reckon salary might be an issue (if he's even interested atall?). This Bollan isn't well liked chat may be true, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing for our side, in particular Fraser Mullen. I get the impression he won't stand for any nonsense.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Can we expect to hear this week that we have a new manager? The anticipation is unbearable!

As others have mentioned, would love Murray but I reckon salary might be an issue (if he's even interested atall?). This Bollan isn't well liked chat may be true, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing for our side, in particular Fraser Mullen. I get the impression he won't stand for any nonsense.

As I have said openly before I couldn't care less if the next manager is liked his CV and whether or not he has a track record of getting results is what matters given what's at stake for our club. 

Bollan would quickly get shot of silly laddies like Mullen or at least reign him in and try and put him on the straight and narrow at least

Said from the start before he was even rumoured that Bollan would be my first  realistic choice soley based on his average win rate and success in this league. Yes he may have a reputation but right now we need someone of experience who can get us of bottom and fast or you could counter his reputation on something more credible like the Lewis Milne article I shared of him delighted to be playing under Bollan. Perhaps his reputation is because he may like things done his way and quickly challenges big time Charlie egos. 

On the other hand Murray would be a coup in the sense of regarded as the next big thing for up and coming managers whilst at Dumbarton and he will still certainly have big ambitions whilst wanting to prove a point following his sacking from St Mirren but then again was it just a bit of luck at Dumbarton with a reasonable budget at his disposal.  Think he would be excellent if we didn't have the trapdoor as I believe he could build some strong foundations at the club but do we run that risk. 

Whoever comes in must put in one hundred percent of fixing the dark cloud surrounding the club these days and create a team who play for each other, get on well with each other  and kick out anybody who isn't willing to play for the jersey. No time for any passengers at the club anymore not whilst the board, fan's etc put their hands in their pockets. 

I don't think our team is that bad. A new manager coming in will hopefully give the players a boost. A few new older faces to help the young players would be a bonus.

Muirhead and Garden should be our front two. Brad smith has to play in the middle. It's left and right back where we seem to struggle. A new face in defence and midfield would help.

Personally, I would move Rutherford into midfield and also play three upfront, Muirhead, Garden and Connelly, with Morris on the bench and rotate the front three based on form. I think some of the players are a bit flat and disillusioned at the moment, but they are still good players. I am more confident than last season that it can be turned around.

It's not easy for younger players when things aren't working well and the fans get on their back. I don't think we are anything like as bad as some make out.

24 minutes ago, PELE said:

I don't think our team is that bad. A new manager coming in will hopefully give the players a boost. A few new older faces to help the young players would be a bonus.

Muirhead and Garden should be our front two. Brad smith has to play in the middle. It's left and right back where we seem to struggle. A new face in defence and midfield would help.

Personally, I would move Rutherford into midfield and also play three upfront, Muirhead, Garden and Connelly, with Morris on the bench and rotate the front three based on form. I think some of the players are a bit flat and disillusioned at the moment, but they are still good players. I am more confident than last season that it can be turned around.

It's not easy for younger players when things aren't working well and the fans get on their back. I don't think we are anything like as bad as some make out.

Have to agree. We have no fullbacks but where do we get them? Morris shouldn’t be anywhere near the team, or the bench. He’s had enough game time and shown nothing.

Midfield, or lack of has been our problem for the last few seasons. Every team in this league has better midfielders than us.

Our new man has his work cut out.

45 minutes ago, PELE said:

Personally, I would move Rutherford into midfield and also play three upfront, Muirhead, Garden and Connelly, with Morris on the bench and rotate the front three based on form.

I would move Rutherford out the door. He's not good enough. Harvey Swann is a much better option.

We don't have the midfield players to allow us to play a front three as was proved last Saturday. Muirhead and Garden would be my preference as a front two. Morris is struggling at senior level. 

6 minutes ago, vince sinclair said:

How about Rutherford at centre half? Trying to think out box here
We are so poor it’s embarrassing
But we’ve no emoji383.png
He had 2 great clearances in 1st half yesterday at CH position

Syme will  be suspended next Saturday so we might see Rutherford at CB then. 

49 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

I would move Rutherford out the door. He's not good enough. Harvey Swann is a much better option.

We don't have the midfield players to allow us to play a front three as was proved last Saturday. Muirhead and Garden would be my preference as a front two. Morris is struggling at senior level. 

For me, Swann should start every game.

10 hours ago, PELE said:

Trust me our team is that bad. Morris/rutherford/mullen/pyper/buchanan/Garden/Morris. Some of the stuff I seen on saturday was nothing short of ridiculous for "professional" football players. Basic fundamentals of football were forgotten on saturday. The team has zero confidence and zero resilience (aside from maybe 2-3 players rumsby for example)

Syme has been shocking this season. He should be our best player by a mile but clearly is not motivated or playing to his potential. 

If I was manager and with players at our disposal I would be looking at trying to play syme in midfield as a "blocker" a tracker as the boy cameron was running the show from runs from midfield. Play jamie pyper in centre half with rumsby - jamie has pace and is aggressive at least (sometimes too much so)

Id go mcgurn/mcnally right back (is he fit)pyper/rumbsy/left back swann (although not great at that position better than rutherford)

right midfield - whittaker (pace) syme/miller/ally smith (hard worker limited) with brad smith on left but playing more of a free role to support the striker (inside left)

muirhead up front on his own - whittaker pushed up as high as possible on right also. Theres Loads wrong with that team also - left back and basically a centre midfield player short in terms of quality but we are where we are.

I think that team would be hard to beat and set up to counter attack quite well. cowden cowboy my salary is £650 a week but as its cowden £450 will do.. free up £200 a week on a player...lol

16 minutes ago, NELLY said:

I think that team would be hard to beat and set up to counter attack quite well. cowden cowboy my salary is £650 a week but as its cowden £450 will do.. free up £200 a week on a player...lol

I'll do it for £400 a week ;)

4 hours ago, NELLY said:

Trust me our team is that bad. Morris/rutherford/mullen/pyper/buchanan/Garden/Morris. Some of the stuff I seen on saturday was nothing short of ridiculous for "professional" football players. Basic fundamentals of football were forgotten on saturday. The team has zero confidence and zero resilience (aside from maybe 2-3 players rumsby for example)

Syme has been shocking this season. He should be our best player by a mile but clearly is not motivated or playing to his potential. 

If I was manager and with players at our disposal I would be looking at trying to play syme in midfield as a "blocker" a tracker as the boy cameron was running the show from runs from midfield. Play jamie pyper in centre half with rumsby - jamie has pace and is aggressive at least (sometimes too much so)

Id go mcgurn/mcnally right back (is he fit)pyper/rumbsy/left back swann (although not great at that position better than rutherford)

right midfield - whittaker (pace) syme/miller/ally smith (hard worker limited) with brad smith on left but playing more of a free role to support the striker (inside left)

muirhead up front on his own - whittaker pushed up as high as possible on right also. Theres Loads wrong with that team also - left back and basically a centre midfield player short in terms of quality but we are where we are.

That team would maybe manage another 4 goals rest of season 

Archived