Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the current situation is difficult, I think we should see it as a window of opportunity.  Am I simply barking? Probably. But it's not as grim as it seems.  Last season was torture, right up until the dramatic finale.  I think we owe a great debt to Gary Locke and Billy Brown - they came in to a dire situation very late, but they managed to turn it around and keep us in the league. Gary was entirely upfront about the fact that if a better offer came along, he would take it. So, after pulling us back from the brink, he went back to Hearts, owing us nothing.  It was only right to offer the gig to Billy. He did his best with a group of youngsters, but he was honest enough to come to the conclusion that it was time for him to go.  I was once on " Off the ball" with Billy, and he struck me as a guy with a lot of integrity.

So why is this a window of opportunity? By walking away at the time he did, Billy made it possible for a new manager to come in with much more time to turn it around than Gary and Billy had.  So with the right appointment,  we could climb up the league. Gordon  McDougall once said to me that it took him too long to come to the conclusion that the most important job a chairman has to do is to pick a good manager. He had been tracking Mixu, who did a brilliant job of turning a young part-time team into title-winners. As well as being an excellent coach, he was a brilliant motivator. He made the lads believe that they could do it.

Ah, but how do we get another Mixu? that's probably asking too much: but we do have the opportunity to appoint a go-ahead manager who can (a) get us out of trouble and (b) build a team that can be competing at the top end of the league.  I'm with the Lichtie man: I don't buy the idea that nobody decent would be interested in managing Cowden. That simply isn't true. The word on the jungle drums is that the board are impressed by the quality of some of the applicants. If there is someone there with a bit of experience of achieving success with young players - maybe someone who can also bring in the kind of experienced midfielder we so badly need - then things can change in the right direction.  We do have some good youngsters at the club, who would respond to a manager who can inspire them.  Look what Petrie has done at Montrose. Such an appointment would lift the directors, the backroom staff and the fans, as well as the players. Believe. 

Innes&Mixuwithcup.jpg

Surely there is nobody anywhere who thinks Campbell would move to us as things stand?

Someone obviously seemed too, which is why I butted in.

Hope you get something sorted soon, I mean last year was funny because your fans seemed to believe you had a chance of winning the league and we took stick after the League Cup game from you but this year isn’t the same.

Been suffering for a good while now so hopefully it all works out. Cowden great day on train so you better. Get Berwick tae f**k please.

20 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Although the current situation is difficult, I think we should see it as a window of opportunity.  Am I simply barking? Probably. But it's not as grim as it seems.  Last season was torture, right up until the dramatic finale.  I think we owe a great debt to Gary Locke and Billy Brown - they came in to a dire situation very late, but they managed to turn it around and keep us in the league. Gary was entirely upfront about the fact that if a better offer came along, he would take it. So, after pulling us back from the brink, he went back to Hearts, owing us nothing.  It was only right to offer the gig to Billy. He did his best with a group of youngsters, but he was honest enough to come to the conclusion that it was time for him to go.  I was once on " Off the ball" with Billy, and he struck me as a guy with a lot of integrity.

So why is this a window of opportunity? By walking away at the time he did, Billy made it possible for a new manager to come in with much more time to turn it around than Gary and Billy had.  So with the right appointment,  we could climb up the league. Gordon  McDougall once said to me that it took him too long to come to the conclusion that the most important job a chairman has to do is to pick a good manager. He had been tracking Mixu, who did a brilliant job of turning a young part-time team into title-winners. As well as being an excellent coach, he was a brilliant motivator. He made the lads believe that they could do it.

Ah, but how do we get another Mixu? that's probably asking too much: but we do have the opportunity to appoint a go-ahead manager who can (a) get us out of trouble and (b) build a team that can be competing at the top end of the league.  I'm with the Lichtie man: I don't buy the idea that nobody decent would be interested in managing Cowden. That simply isn't true. The word on the jungle drums is that the board are impressed by the quality of some of the applicants. If there is someone there with a bit of experience of achieving success with young players - maybe someone who can also bring in the kind of experienced midfielder we so badly need - then things can change in the right direction.  We do have some good youngsters at the club, who would respond to a manager who can inspire them.  Look what Petrie has done at Montrose. Such an appointment would lift the directors, the backroom staff and the fans, as well as the players. Believe. 

Innes&Mixuwithcup.jpg

Well said Ron.

23 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Innes&Mixuwithcup.jpg

It’ s difficult to believe after what we’ve been watching. For the first half of the first half of the first game (away) to Elgin we played well and could have scored two or three. It’s been downhill since then. We don’t seem to have any plan in any game and every week it seems to get worse. I really cannot see us beating any team unless the new manager can work some wonders. We have too many poor players unfortunately.

Was very impressed with Montrose last week. No superstars but they played some good football. Our response was hoofball.

Whoever, the new manager is let’s hope he can get us sorted out. 

1 minute ago, __connor123 said:

I'm not touting Jason either I was just making a point that he might want the job. I didn't say I wanted him.

No probs I only mentioned it as I thought you were 316 and he was writting Jardine off.

just read last few pages

mentioned are

campbell - not going to leave erbroath for us at the mo

lennon- unlikely after last time

ellis- doesnt want utd managers job so surprised if he wanted ours or we could afford

ovenstone- not sure why he came here unless his training sessions are great but arent the fittest team in the league or full of innovative ideas so no thanks

dair- was at game but no managers experience, well respected local guy  i wouldnt want him to fail so please dont take it

irons-  has he been a gaffer since gretna? dont know so no comment

ian murray- an assistant in norway so would be surprised but on paper would be a great appointment

cameron- works with young guys at edu and i rated him first time so would be happy with

jardine- interesting 1, has done well really at edinburgh city .

bollan- not well liked in the game, heard stories from players played under him which suggest not a good fit with our young team.

daly- rumoured to come after fox previously before agreement ripped up? works with young players already so fits the bill for me but would hearts allow after fox debacle and would it put daly off? so unlikely to happen.

so my list from the p n b rumours would be

1 murray

2 cameron

3 daly

4 jardine

most realistic cameron or jardine

sure there will be others in the frame though

Interesting read on those who would welcome a Jardine appointment. 

I would still be cautious in terms of where City are just now under his leadership. However based on where he took Edinburgh City from to now is quite impressive and his philosophy of continuous improvement added with him building up Edinburgh over the years may be a good choice to build some sustainability at Cowdenbeath again but still a risky choice due to our current league position. 

My reading into his statement is perhaps he didn't like the Director of Football approach I. E Jeffries. He doesn't state and maybe to polite to say so that but he goes on to say about changes at City. 

He comes across as a decent bloke in this article and it seems he probably spent too long at City and took them as far as he could. However like previous appointments it's great if we have nice people associated with our club but if it's a choice between decent guy with limited success against a not so decent guy but with success on his CV I would probably go with the latter soley based that we cannot afford to rebuild from a relegation to the Lowland League. 

I seriously do not envy Donald or the board in making this appointment as there could be strong arguments on the best fit for this appointment. I guess whoever gets appointed it's a risk regardless of who they choose as no guarantees of success as that's football. 

Main thing is we will altogether have to support the next manager regardless of whether a popular or unpopular choice so long as they work there socks of for Cowdenbeath FC. and are enthusiastic about helping the club strive towards their long-term goals for the club 

Andy maybe the idea of Jardine is starting to grow on me slightly after previously writing him of completely  lot's of other good article interviews with him also on the net. 

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city/gary-jardine-i-d-been-thinking-of-leaving-city-for-a-while-1-4575929

Archived