Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ToB btw. emoji7.png

Week after week he looks like one of the best players on the park. Great going to a team like Raith where it's even the case when you play them. Absolute quality. Lucky for us he's not keen on going FT due to his personal career and we have him right up until the end of next season as it stands.

Hopefully that's extended too, one of the best I've ever seen play for us in my opinion. So far anyway. Absolute unit, great defender, amazing with the ball.

Watched TOB since he was wee'er than a corner flag (I actually mind him playing in a reserve game when he was 15 or so and he really was the same height as the flag when he was taking a kick:lol:

Good player glad he's doing well.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The_Judge said:

Looks very much like last season although this time it's Brown rather than Fox having difficulty getting points.  I feel for you and see your current predicament as the down side of a 10 team league.  Playing the same 9 teams over and over with little respite.  IF we had gone up last season we may very well have found ourselves in exactly the same position and I'd probably find it less enjoyable. 

Are there any Cowden fans who believe that dropping down to the LL wouldn't have been the end of your club? 

To the regular posters on here would you stop supporting the club if they dropped to 5th tier? 

I would still follow us in the Lowland League but I honestly don't know if we could survive in it.

Personally I think it will end off killing clubs from our league in the long run. Just need to look at the Shire this season stuck in mid table and going backwards after a decent try at winning it last season.

Shire were never really in contention last year, the money they got from the cups and the parachute payment helped boost their budget but they appointed the wrong manager and by sticking by him have effectively killed any chance they have of returning to the SPFL in the next few years.

The LL wont kill clubs, its not killing East Kilbride or The Shire - you just have to ensure that you live within your means and that will probably take some adjustment for a side dropping into the league but there is no reason at all why any of the current 42 SPFL clubs would shut up shop if run correctly.

10 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Shire were never really in contention last year, the money they got from the cups and the parachute payment helped boost their budget but they appointed the wrong manager and by sticking by him have effectively killed any chance they have of returning to the SPFL in the next few years.

The LL wont kill clubs, its not killing East Kilbride or The Shire - you just have to ensure that you live within your means and that will probably take some adjustment for a side dropping into the league but there is no reason at all why any of the current 42 SPFL clubs would shut up shop if run correctly.

Aye EK were always ahead but anytime they slipped up Shire also did and couldn't make up the ground, also they couldn't beat them when it mattered and also lost twice to Spartans.

I would say like the national league in England relegated clubs have to really get back up at the 1st go or your stuck there for ever or worse - ie York, Stockport, Halifax.

The big test for Shire will be in that league will be next season when the don't have a parachute.  Your probably right on their manager - main problem last season was a dodgy defence so he kept most of the side on in the summer while other sides around them strengthened their squads.

Its not just the drop in income off the SPFL you gates go down as well plenty of decent sides in the LL but crowds are poor with little or no travelling support. 

As I said earlier I would still watch us, I go to a lot of different Lowland League games anyway when we're not playing so know my way about:lol:

Yes as long as some people are willing to run the club

There is not a chance we will survive in the medium/long term if we drop down. We have unique circumstances compared to other clubs. Shame but it’s reality.

1 hour ago, onecowden said:

There is not a chance we will survive in the medium/long term if we drop down. We have unique circumstances compared to other clubs. Shame but it’s reality.

Agree. If we drop down to the LL there could still be  a club in some sense but not a very bright future would lie ahead and unfortunately yet understandably you would lose the likes of the chairman and sponsorship which in turn could finish the club if no one was willing to run the club. 

That is why it is vital fans, community etc back Club, 135 and other initiatives. 

It's absolutely crap being a Cowden supporter these days but there is no time for apathy if we want to sustain our club. Everyone needs to be up for this bumpy ride to ensure we back the club in this difficult time. 

Regrettably I share the view that Billy needs to seriously consider his position honestly if he is the man who can get us out of this mess or at least bring someone else in the dugout to freshen things up. There is nothing that gives me confidence that he is the man currently to take the club forward based on what I have currently witnessed this season and his experience thus far has counted for nothing for our club so far. I am only impressed in how he has set the club up in  defending but if you don't score that counts for nothing too.  Nothing personal towards the manager but clubs future and very existence will always come first. 

If we get beat at Berwick and especially fail to score Billy has to go  unfortunately as too much is at stake again with the trapdoor.  

It's a pain in potentially changing managers as there is no guarantees things can be turned around however as with Gary Locke if you bring in someone who can get the best out of players then that's good enough. 

Those are only my views purely based on the risk to the clubs future again which  is a very real one based on form this season and our current league position. 

48 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Agree. If we drop down to the LL there could still be  a club in some sense but not a very bright future would lie ahead and unfortunately yet understandably you would lose the likes of the chairman and sponsorship which in turn could finish the club if no one was willing to run the club. 

That is why it is vital fans, community etc back Club, 135 and other initiatives. 

It's absolutely crap being a Cowden supporter these days but there is no time for apathy if we want to sustain our club. Everyone needs to be up for this bumpy ride to ensure we back the club in this difficult time. 

Regrettably I share the view that Billy needs to seriously consider his position honestly if he is the man who can get us out of this mess or at least bring someone else in the dugout to freshen things up. There is nothing that gives me confidence that he is the man currently to take the club forward based on what I have currently witnessed this season and his experience thus far has counted for nothing for our club so far. I am only impressed in how we has set the club up in  defending but if you don't score that counts for nothing too.  Nothing personal towards the manager but clubs future and very existence will always come first. 

If we get beat at Berwick and especially fail to score Billy has to go  unfortunately as too much is at stake again with the trapdoor.  

It's a pain in potentially changing managers as there is no guarantees things can be turned around however as with Gary Locke if you bring in someone who can get the best out of players then that's good enough. 

Those are only my views purely based on the risk to the clubs future again which  is a very real one based on form this season and our current league position. 

If only we could find a player like Colin Cameron was when he first appeared.

Was at game on Saturday (first this season) as working and Kelty away , and sorry to say but Cowden were awful , no fight, no cohesion , no leaders , last time I saw them was against Hearts at central few seasons back and they played as well as Hearts , I really fear they ain't got enough to stay up and would probably even struggle against us , want to be playing you guys in football league not lowland so COME ON COWDEN !!!!!!!

21 hours ago, Jason King said:

This.

21 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Its not just the drop in income off the SPFL you gates go down as well plenty of decent sides in the LL but crowds are poor with little or no travelling support. 

As I said earlier I would still watch us, I go to a lot of different Lowland League games anyway when we're not playing so know my way about:lol:

Your crowds might even go up if you were competitive.  Under the current rules the odds are against a LL/HL team winning entry to tier 4 but I think the LL could become a cracking league in years to come.  Playing teams twice a season is a good thing.  Being more affordable is a good thing too.  I can understand how, having been in the various guises of Scottish professional leagues for so long, you'd feel it was a potential disaster but I was really heartened by the ES fan who said they're 5-0 victory at EK was the best footballing day out he'd had in a long time.

If you go to football for enjoyment and to support your local club does it really matter if it's at home to Elgin City rather than Spartans?   Would playing ES now really have any less prestige?

2 hours ago, The_Judge said:

This.

Your crowds might even go up if you were competitive.  Under the current rules the odds are against a LL/HL team winning entry to tier 4 but I think the LL could become a cracking league in years to come.  Playing teams twice a season is a good thing.  Being more affordable is a good thing too.  I can understand how, having been in the various guises of Scottish professional leagues for so long, you'd feel it was a potential disaster but I was really heartened by the ES fan who said they're 5-0 victory at EK was the best footballing day out he'd had in a long time.

If you go to football for enjoyment and to support your local club does it really matter if it's at home to Elgin City rather than Spartans?   Would playing ES now really have any less prestige?

Don't know about crowds we struggle to get a decent gate where we are if locals arn't keen on SPFL football I can't see them flocking to the LL if we had a chance of winning it maybe you would get more coming out for a big game.

It wasn't intended as a bash at the Lowland League nor is it a prestige thing  I just honestly fear for my club which I have watched most of my life, well over 40 years. I have seen enough games in the Lowland League to know there are a lot of decent sides in it.

I would say its getting stronger already from when it started out.

9 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Was at game on Saturday (first this season) as working and Kelty away , and sorry to say but Cowden were awful , no fight, no cohesion , no leaders , last time I saw them was against Hearts at central few seasons back and they played as well as Hearts , I really fear they ain't got enough to stay up and would probably even struggle against us , want to be playing you guys in football league not lowland so COME ON COWDEN !!!!!!!

Won't be much guys left at the club since you last seen us against Hearts Kyle Miller will be the only one left.

51 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Sky Sports News now comparing Sunderlands home record to our one between the 92 and 94 seasons.

What's the longest a senior team have went without scoring a goal? We can't be far off.

I saw on the inforwire section on here that Aberdeen didn't score any goals in their first 6 league matches back in 99/00.  We're currently 4 games without a goal (we had been 5 without a goal before it!)

Good on Billy for realising that it wasn't working and for being brave enough to say that he wasn't enjoying it.  His honesty is refreshing.

Now it's possibly the biggest managerial appointment in the clubs history.....good luck guys :lol:

Archived