Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just announced on website. Renton, Martin Scott and resigning of Connelly, Muirhead, Pyper, Mullen, Buchanan, Smith, Miller , Swann and Cox.

Central Park was buzzing this evening with a hectic round of signing activity underway as manager Gary Bollan began assembling his squad for season 2018/19. Firstly two new recruits put pen to paper - midfield man Martin 'Jimmy' Scott who last season was with Stenhousemuir is pictured. Martin of course is a vastly experienced player who numbers among his previous clubs Hibs, Ross County and Livingston. Capped by Scotland at under 21 level, Martin can play in a number of positions and we offer him a warm Central Park welcome. Also signing on the dotted line was former favourite Kris Renton who returns after a season in League One where he helped Alloa win promotion. The big striker was Cowden's player of the year in season 2016/17 and we are very pleased to bring Kris back to the Blue Brazil.

Over and above Martin and Kris, Gary was absolutely delighted to be able to resign many of the players tonight that he wished to retain from last season - those players who were able to come in tonight to extend their existing contracts were Ryan Connelly, Cameron Muirhead, Jamie Pyper, Fraser Mullen, Robbie Buchanan, Brad Smith, Kyle Miller, Harvey Swann and David Cox.

More signing news is expected shortly.

The signing news is very encouraging. For the first time in a few seasons we are getting pen to paper before we get gazumped. I'm feeling a lot better about the season ahead. Any news on season tickets (prices etc)?

I genuinely don't know what to think of this. We've kept a lot of the boys who have spectacularly finished bottom of the league two seasons in a row, plus bringing one guy back in from the first time. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Renton and hope he does well, scoring a bit more than he did previously. As for Scott, I've not been impressed with him many times and must be getting on a bit?

Perhaps having a competent manager for this level in place for an entire pre season might do the trick. Fingers and toes crossed.

Delighted to see Connelly sign on though. Hopefully he gets himself back fit and possibly form a partnership with Renton.

Big year for Muirhead as well. He needs to give more which he's perfectly capable of. Would not have been gutted if he left - I'm sure Bollan won't stand for anyone not pulling their weight.

The signings are good. For me its all about improvement. Gary has kept the players who have improved under him. MULLEN/PYPER/SWANN etc and connelly and muirhead are still young and prospects. Brad Smith is a key player and Robbie Buchanan has got better under Gary no doubt. Cox has been a dissapointment for me and granted he has had an injury but his ability on the ball is so poor and I was expecting more.

As for the signings as said its all about improvement. I think renton is better than sheerin. Renton played in a team which got promoted to Championship so was clearly doing something right. Always liked the big lad for sheer effort and work rate and him and carrick were great together.

As for Martin Scott its a make sense signing. A guy with experience whom is physical and big, good in the air and can play centre mid or just off the left. I liked him as a trialist for us a couple seasons back but we signed david robertson instead(wow!).

We have experience in the side now with cox/scott/gilfillan and hopefully Mcgurn.

Is Mcgurn staying?

4 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I genuinely don't know what to think of this. We've kept a lot of the boys who have spectacularly finished bottom of the league two seasons in a row, plus bringing one guy back in from the first time. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Renton and hope he does well, scoring a bit more than he did previously. As for Scott, I've not been impressed with him many times and must be getting on a bit?

Perhaps having a competent manager for this level in place for an entire pre season might do the trick. Fingers and toes crossed.

Delighted to see Connelly sign on though. Hopefully he gets himself back fit and possibly form a partnership with Renton.

Big year for Muirhead as well. He needs to give more which he's perfectly capable of. Would not have been gutted if he left - I'm sure Bollan won't stand for anyone not pulling their weight.

Martin Scott is only 32! slow player but utilised right can be really effective for us.

Martin Scott was one of stenhousemuirs best players in the playoff game when fit he’s a asset at this level and has back to back promotions from league 2 You’re  squad looks better already... if he can do what he done at Arbroath you guys will be happy!!

Archived