Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:15, big al said:

My take on it is that Kelty in the seniors is another nail in the coffin for us having another senior club 2 miles away. I already know of some Cowden fans who have been to games/ hospitality and if they continue to have success those numbers won’t decrease anyway and casual fans who like football will maybe take the odd game in there instead of us. 

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:46, The Minertaur said:

Agreed.  If you've support Cowden for years you're not just going to jump across to Kelty because they have better facilities.  I can kind of understand the point about neutrals who may head to Central Park possibly heading to Kelty instead.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:20, PELE said:

Good luck to Kelty. I hope it all keeps going well for them, but despite the positive vibe coming out from their support, I cannot see the success continuing long term. The reason we are struggling is down to the excessive costs required to be in the SPFL. It is the same for many small clubs. Plenty of us struggle. Why would a small club like Kelty suddenly be any different? It's a small town with a small ground and small support. Most small clubs, like us, need someone putting money in or have really lucky cup runs every so often.

If Kelty reach the SPFL, see how many fans are willing to pay the increased entry fee. I believe their crowds and revenue are lower now than when in the juniors.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:22, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Kelty's crowds are actually up on last season despite having little in the way of away supports and battering teams 8, 9 and 10 nothing every week. They've also set up a women's team, are doing loads to increase their visibility in the community and are looking to improve their facilities. I'm not sure what the excessive costs to be in the SPFL are that other clubs including Kelty would be able to pay that Cowdenbeath couldn't? Given that you already get a minimum of £17,000 for BetFred Cup participation, money for the two other senior cups, etc would you be able to pay whatever you need to at whatever level you think you'd be at without that money?

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:12, cowdenbeath said:

Think i've only been at one of their league games this season v Heriot Watt crowd didn't kook too bad for a midweek with no away fans.

Off the top of my head I would say any increased costs for them being in the SPFL would be having to have proper stewards at games and extra travel costs to places like Elgin, Annan etc, although they do have to travel down to Berwick at present. I would think some of their players will be on League 2 type wages already so no difference in that respect I suppose.

Someone made a good point about their fans having to pay increased entry fee in the SPFL would be interesting if that would put some folk off if they were not doing so well but that's just something you would have to wait and see about.

Kelty had someone interviewed in an article in a Dunbartonshire local newspaper, in connection with Clydebank moving from the juniors to the seniors. In it crowds were stated to be 20% up on last season and their hospitality suites seem to have been largely soldout. (Whether it's overall or to the same point in the season, who knows, but it likely makes little difference as they've still to play a possible decider v LTHV like last season's trophy match v Bonnyrigg on last day). Of course this is before reaching LL. They clearly pay players already.

As noted there are higher costs in SPFL - most obviously some more travelling, plus more rigorous medical and stewarding requirements - but by the same token the prizemoney is something like 20 to 30 times that of winning EOSL plus you've got League Cup and Challenge Cup as well. They wouldn't necessarily have to put admission upto £12 straight away and in any case all the clubs which have ascended in recent times - northerly clubs, Gretna, Annan, Edinburgh City - substantially increased their attendances, and not just courtesy larger away supports.

During the closed season and subsequently they're building a 300-seat grandstand with new changing rooms and 100-capacity lounge underneath, between the pair of current covered terraces; a new 350-seat grandstand opposite replacing the old shed; and a 500-capacity covered terrace behind the goal with a 40-seat café diner and a 20-seat hospitality room. They seem to be clear where they're going and what they want/need when they arrive, so good luck to them, tbh.

Seven wins from six games.Given our points deficit and the punishing  run of fixtures avoiding the playoffs was always a long shot. We missed Gilfilan, had a goal chalked off for nothing and just ran out of steam the last half hour. Clyde are flying and must have a decent chance of promotion. They are organized, have no obvious weaknesses and they have Goodwillie. However despicable his past actions,he gives his all for the team and by all accounts his off-field  behaviour has been exemplary. Maybe he has turned over a new leaf, only he will know  As for us we played pretty well again but lacked a cutting-edge. The team is vastly improved from when Brown was manager and I would fancy us to see off our play off opponents if they were of a division two standard. The problem is they might be better than that.

What's the chances of tonight's game being on?

Hard to say - snowing quite heavily now and about an inch layer on pitch. Sleet and rain forecast for rest of day - so water logging could be possible. Wait and see how things develop just now until into afternoon

On 25/03/2018 at 21:13, big al said:

It looks obvious where he’s been hiding .......

Sherin was hiding in the bin that the angry Cowden fan who wanted to throw the bin at visiting fans couldn't even get one inch off the ground.

Good player, though

cp.jpg.7931e082b78365a8316236d2e1c343d5.jpg This looks like a postponement to me!

Just bring the sidelines in a few metres to form a ridiculously narrow pitch.  If we can do it for a hedge every week then a puddle should present no significant problems.

DAVE BREWSTER

The Board of Cowdenbeath FC were very greatly saddened to learn of the death of Dave Brewster who passed away at lunchtime today. Dave was previously a Cowdenbeath FC director and owner of the club along with his brother Alex. He was very well-known as a stalwart of Stewart's Melville rugby club where he played for many years with distinction. The Brewster family of course nowadays own the ground at Central Park plus run the stock car operations. They kindly gifted the ownership of the football club to Donald Findlay on behalf of the community not so long ago. Most of us saw Dave and spoke with him as usual just last Saturday as we left the ground and he was stationed at the turnstiles for the start of the Stock Cars. Over the past decade or so we had many dealings with Dave. There were challenges to be tackled but over that time a mutual respect and increasingly positive relationship developed. It was a great shock to us all to hear the news today. Our sincere condolences go out to Dave's brother Alex and nephew Scott as well as to all his family and friends.

#HonourThePastEnsureAFuture #Club135 www.club135.co.uk

Really sad news about Dave Brewster. He was a friendly guy, full of energy. Not that old either. He was a familiar face around Central Park in recent years, getting the place ready for the stock cars as the match approached full-time, as he was just last Saturday as we left the ground.

6 hours ago, PELE said:

Really sad news about Dave Brewster. He was a friendly guy, full of energy. Not that old either. He was a familiar face around Central Park in recent years, getting the place ready for the stock cars as the match approached full-time, as he was just last Saturday as we left the ground.

6 hours ago, PELE said:

Let's win it for Dave on Tuesday, then.

Archived