Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

7 minutes ago, wulliemc said:

If Sheerin plays like he did in the last week every tuesday and saturday until mid may he can come round my house and i will cook him anything he likes.

And the rest of them.

Sheerin has a decent game but reality check required. He held the ball up at halfway with back to goal, and made a simple turn to his right and easily drifted away from his marker who looked like he was in quick sand. 

Thats not going to happen in other games. They were terrible yesterday.

Sheerin has some good attributes though, if only he was a bit fitter.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was pretty good against edinburgh too and both holds the ball well and is strong when he competes for the ball.

If he was here from game 1 we wouldnt be here?

Having 2 up front tells its own story. Game 1 of the season was away to elgin and we were unlucky not to win imo. Cant actually remember game 2 home v edinburgh when we won.

Since then its been 1 apart from the kamikaze 3 games after brown left.

Got the rewards yesterday for 2 up front again. If there is any chance of auto safety it has to be 2 up for the rest of the season.

If nothing else we now have a team that can be treated with respect in the playoffs. Elgin had to leave players back because we had a threat we havent had all season.

10 minutes ago, wulliemc said:

He was pretty good against edinburgh too and both holds the ball well and is strong when he competes for the ball.

If he was here from game 1 we wouldnt be here?

Having 2 up front tells its own story. Game 1 of the season was away to elgin and we were unlucky not to win imo. Cant actually remember game 2 home v edinburgh when we won.

Since then its been 1 apart from the kamikaze 3 games after brown left.

Got the rewards yesterday for 2 up front again. If there is any chance of auto safety it has to be 2 up for the rest of the season.

If nothing else we now have a team that can be treated with respect in the playoffs. Elgin had to leave players back because we had a threat we havent had all season.

Totally agree we need to win games so 2 upfront the way to go

2 hours ago, big al said:

Ron I really admire you contacting the greatest ever manager in Britain and it’s heartwarming he shows an interest and typical of his character after reading his books. 

12 behind Berwick though, bit unrealistic surely? It’s only 1 win and have to be honest, Elgin were terrible, especially at the back, and only started to threaten when Sutherland came on, and even he can’t be fit yet after being out for so long.  Edinburgh City looked a tougher team to beat the other night than Elgin. I’m pretty sure their away record is absolutely dire aswell. 

Maybe to put it in perspective, East Kilbride will be a stronger opponent in a possible play off than Elgin were.

I wouldn't argue at all with what you say, Al. We look like the team most likely to go down.  What has killed us was all these 1-0 defeats early on - hard to recover from that. I haven't been at many games, but the ones I have seen have been excruciating. - disorganised shambles. There are questions to be asked of Gary Bolan - about recruitment (some poor signings) and man-management (Muirhead and Syme consigned to the bench). Having said that, the team now - especially with the likes of   Cox, Sheeran and Blair Malcolm brought on board and other quite forgettable players shown the door. We are certainly more organised, and the spirit and fight in the side are light years ahead of what we have endured. We have had some really bad luck as well. All this is to say we seem to be coming out of the worst of all this and looking much more like a football team. Scoring on Tuesday evening after the goal drought then scoring three times on Saturday and holding on to win well are promising signs. Whether we can sustain a winning run is doubtful, but at least we might go into play-offs on the back of a bit of form. Even a few weeks ago we would have thought it was all over, but now it's not so clear cut. Credit is due to the management team - we need to get behind them and the team and see what they can do.

A great result on Saturday but just makes Tuesdays draw with City all the more frustrating.  I don't think we'll get out of 10th but a jammy win tomorrow means we're 9 behind with 8 to play.  

Bloody hell I'm talking about us winning 2 games in a row - we're probably not going to win again this season :lol:

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Nade to Cowden?

Not sure where this has come from, but I'm not sure that would be the best idea at the moment - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2363729/ex-hearts-star-christian-nade-charged-threatening-kidnap-baby-attacking-ex-girlfriend/

He's under "internal investigation" with us and I very much doubt he'll play again until after the case is finished (which is in May, possibly). He may well still do a job in this division but it's clear he's very much finished at Championship level.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure where this has come from, but I'm not sure that would be the best idea at the moment - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2363729/ex-hearts-star-christian-nade-charged-threatening-kidnap-baby-attacking-ex-girlfriend/

He'll be playing for Clyde next season then.

6 hours ago, wullie robb said:

Sheeran can't get a game at EOS Kelty,  yet he's good at Cowdenbeath? 

Sheerin was carrying injury for ages at kelty and got an op, just recovering and regaining fitness but Cargill,Daziel and Douglas scoring for fun so run in team was going to be tricky , Cowden need goals and Sheerin needing games so well worth a punt and looks like it will come good for both teams hopefully 

On 18/03/2018 at 16:32, Kierkegaard said:

Text from Sir A this morning. "That was a great result! Great to see the revival."

This guy is seriously interested about how the Blue Brazil are doing.

He's been in the game long enough to know that one game doesn't a revival make - but it has to start somewhere. We have to keep winning and Berwick need to keep losing, but there is now a glimmer of hope.

Sir Alex Ferguson.jpg

another cowden win... to paraphrase Sir Alex

5ab1aafaaee27_squeakybumtime.jpg.eee6a399b183e8b914cdc3b2a7213413.jpg

16 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Nade to Cowden?

Played against us for Raith Rovers in a pre-season friendly a few seasons ago. You might be amused to know that the ref asked the Raith bench to sub him before he was sent off due to his head having gone as Big Joe bossed him all game. :lol:

7 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Sheerin was carrying injury for ages at kelty and got an op, just recovering and regaining fitness but Cargill,Daziel and Douglas scoring for fun so run in team was going to be tricky , Cowden need goals and Sheerin needing games so well worth a punt and looks like it will come good for both teams hopefully 

He wasn't likely to get much game time in a team which is winning well every week. He is excellent though so far.

That's a massive 3 points.  Our first victory away from home this season - surely to christ the team is full of confidence right now?

Still to play - 

24/3 - Berwick v Edinburgh, Stirling v Cowden

27/3 - Berwick v Elgin, Cowden v Clyde, Stirling v Edinburgh 

31/3 - Annan v Berwick, Cowden v Stenhousemuir, Montrose v Edinburgh City

3/4 - Berwick v Stenhousemuir, Cowden v Montrose

7/4 - Berwick v Peterhead, Cowden v Clyde, Edinburgh City v Stenhousemuir

10/4 - Berwick v Stenhousemuir

14/4 - Elgin v Edinburgh City, Montrose v Berwick, Peterhead v Cowden

21/4 - Berwick v Cowden, Edinburgh City v Clyde

28/4 - Clyde v Berwick, Cowden v Annan, Peterhead v Edinburgh City

It's going to take one hell of a miracle for us to avoid the play-off.  Huge match this Saturday in Berwick while we really need to beat Stirling to put pressure on the teams above.  I can't see it happening but it's amazing to go into work with a smile on your face for once!

Can you imagine the 21/4 match away to Berwick if we still have a chance of overtaking them?  Scotrail will be putting extra carriages on the Newcastle route that day....

19 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

That's a massive 3 points.  Our first victory away from home this season - surely to christ the team is full of confidence right now?

Still to play - 

24/3 - Berwick v Edinburgh, Stirling v Cowden

27/3 - Berwick v Elgin, Cowden v Clyde, Stirling v Edinburgh 

31/3 - Annan v Berwick, Cowden v Stenhousemuir, Montrose v Edinburgh City

3/4 - Berwick v Stenhousemuir, Cowden v Montrose

7/4 - Berwick v Peterhead, Cowden v Clyde, Edinburgh City v Stenhousemuir

10/4 - Berwick v Stenhousemuir

14/4 - Elgin v Edinburgh City, Montrose v Berwick, Peterhead v Cowden

21/4 - Berwick v Cowden, Edinburgh City v Clude

28/4 - Clyde v Berwick, Cowden v Annan, Peterhead v Edinburgh City

It's going to take one hell of a miracle for us to avoid the play-off.  Huge match this Saturday in Berwick while we really need to beat Stirling to put pressure on the teams above.  I can't see it happening but it's amazing to go into work with a smile on your face for once!

Can you imagine the 21/4 match away to Berwick if we still have a chance of overtaking them?  Scotrail will be putting extra carriages on the Newcastle route that day....

As I mentioned on the match listing, I think if we can keep this momentum going, it's more likely that we will catch Edinburgh. They have just 2 home games left and 5 away and 6 of their 7 remaining games are against the top 6 teams. Not sure it will happen, but it wouldn't be a shock if they didn't win another game. We are 10 points behind them, but have a game in hand.

Wow Clyde have more chance of gaining a top 4 spot than Cowden have of staying up though we play each other twice and that will have a huge bearing of at least 1 unlikely event at one time coming to fruition so its sit tight and pray for both teams

1 hour ago, PELE said:

As I mentioned on the match listing, I think if we can keep this momentum going, it's more likely that we will catch Edinburgh. They have just 2 home games left and 5 away and 6 of their 7 remaining games are against the top 6 teams. Not sure it will happen, but it wouldn't be a shock if they didn't win another game. We are 10 points behind them, but have a game in hand.

I'd say Berwick would be our target.  After the next 3 matches they have a horrible run in.

Not that I think we'll catch anybody but it's great to have that little bit of hope before the inevitable 3-0 loss to Stirling on Saturday!

12 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Plus Berwick are absolutely rotten, they have won about 1 in 15 and have little quality. City have something about them.

Didn't realise they were on that bad a run!

Turns out it's 1 in 13 (victory of course over us) and they've only won twice in the league since October (excluding our matches)!

Archived