Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Greg spence being released by Raith , would have him at kelty lol but maybe wants to play higher level ?? Could even spearhead inverkeithings attack in EOS as a local lad 

He will play for Hillfield Swifts again at some point. He was at the game on Saturday in preparation for signing;)

Although the team did well in the play offs. We cannot reward what is overall a failure. A clearout is most likely what shall happen.

Players I would keep or try to keep would be the following (dependant on how much each player wants money wise)

Mcgurn

Mullen - not his biggest fan but has grown into half decent right back. Would love to see Dean Brett back though

Harvey swann 

Gilfillan - imagine the travelling part may scupper this.

pyper - can play in 2 positions and is wholehearted - likely on low amount of money also. Squad player for me

miller - has performed better under bollan and is in his 24th season it seems like...lol

brad smith - our best technical player by a mile - shown by his goal and excellent 2nd half in play offs. Need more from him though.

Muirhead

connelly

buchanan - getting better for us under bollan

Sheerin - unlikely however.

Players we need badly. A strong centre half/ball playing central midfielder box to box/striker who can get 15-20 goals.

These dont come cheap thus dependant on budget if bollan can push the boat out on identifying that 3 core players and surround them with workers/pace he should have a decent team.

Boys like greig spence are outwith our pay grade now I would imagine. 

Massive summer ahead but like always imagine our squad wont be finalised until even into start of league games.. Thus some youngsters playing betfred cup games etc.

56 minutes ago, NELLY said:

Although the team did well in the play offs. We cannot reward what is overall a failure. A clearout is most likely what shall happen.

Players I would keep or try to keep would be the following (dependant on how much each player wants money wise)

Mcgurn

Mullen - not his biggest fan but has grown into half decent right back. Would love to see Dean Brett back though

Harvey swann 

pyper - can play in 2 positions and is wholehearted - likely on low amount of money also. Squad player for me

miller - has performed better under bollan and is in his 24th season it seems like...lol

brad smith - our best technical player by a mile - shown by his goal and excellent 2nd half in play offs. Need more from him though.

Muirhead

connelly

Players we need badly. A strong centre half/ball playing central midfielder box to box/striker who can get 15-20 goals.

These dont come cheap thus dependant on budget if bollan can push the boat out on identifying that 3 core players and surround them with workers/pace he should have a decent team.

Massive summer ahead but like always imagine our squad wont be finalised until even into start of league games.. Thus some youngsters playing betfred cup games etc.

Yes we do as a priority need a big, strong , centre half. There must be several guys who could do a job for us in the juniors.

Also a couple of midfielders and a striker. But everyone wants those. Just not the duds we had earlier on in the season.

Goodwin has released Kris Renton, thought he was unlucky not to get more game time  but unfortunately for Renton with us getting Ross Stewart from St Mirren he was not going to get much of a look in.

When he did play he did not look out of his depth so i would imagine if he played regularly he would get your 15-20 goals in league 2, but like every other club i suppose it will depend on your resources and obviously if he wants to return. 

Belated Congratulations on your play off success, cant put my finger on it why, but would have hated to see Cowden drop out of the leagues. 

18 minutes ago, Craigy said:

Goodwin has released Kris Renton, thought he was unlucky not to get more game time  but unfortunately for Renton with us getting Ross Stewart from St Mirren he was not going to get much of a look in.

When he did play he did not look out of his depth so i would imagine if he played regularly he would get your 15-20 goals in league 2, but like every other club i suppose it will depend on your resources and obviously if he wants to return. 

Belated Congratulations on your play off success, cant put my finger on it why, but would have hated to see Cowden drop out of the leagues. 

Would take big renton over sheerin for sure. Imagine boys like stenny would be interested in a lad like renton though. Again all about money. Renton was a great worker for us and chipped in with a good couple of goals. Dont see him as a 15-20 goals man though.

I’m surprised things didn’t workout for Renton at Alloa.....or maybe they did but Goodwin feels that he won’t have the same impact in the Championship, either way, someone in League 1 or 2 will get a real good Lower League Target Man.

Was really impressed with Renton each time I seen him play for you, I’d be surprised if he didn’t have other offers slightly higher up the food chain.

5 hours ago, NELLY said:

Mcgurn

Harvey swann 

Muirhead

connelly

You would keep 11? Plus presumably Malcolm if he could come back to us?

not much scope for changing the squad then, as probably only run with about 16 and kids

Shame Reilly is away.

No thanks to Renton. We don't want him back. Much rather have Sheerin.

Great if Malcolm stayed. Gilfillan too, if fit.

6 hours ago, PELE said:

Shame Reilly is away.

No thanks to Renton. We don't want him back. Much rather have Sheerin.

Great if Malcolm stayed. Gilfillan too, if fit.

Renton was our Player Of The Season last year and is more of a threat than Sheerin. Renton > Sheerin for me. 

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Renton was our Player Of The Season last year and is more of a threat than Sheerin. Renton > Sheerin for me. 

Sheerin had a few short spells in his first few games where he made a difference but overall I was disappointed. Not fit enough to play 90 mins either, even after getting 90 mins every week for the last part of the season.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Sheerin had a few short spells in his first few games where he made a difference but overall I was disappointed. Not fit enough to play 90 mins either, even after getting 90 mins every week for the last part of the season.

Renton every time for me although I do like Sheerin. Who could forget that spell he had against against Stirling.

17 hours ago, big al said:

You would keep 11? Plus presumably Malcolm if he could come back to us?

not much scope for changing the squad then, as probably only run with about 16 and kids

I would keep those 11 bearing in mind that 3-4 of them are squad players really in my eyes for example. Pyper/Muirhead/Connelly

If we were to sign 4 key players in positions mentioned with the nucleus of the 11 I have said thats a strong enough 15 for to have an improvement. I dont buy into the we are going for the title declaration being made by Donald again. Show me a team that will improve year on year and a team next season that can hold our own and if we can get top 4 that is a great achievement from where we have been the last few seasons.

I think Gilfillan is all down to injuries and how he feels about travelling. He played as an amateur im sure too so this guy deserves a HUGE amount of credit from all the fans. True Cowden favourite for sure now.

I personally dont think Malcolm would be worth the wage he would be looking for. Bollan will like boys that play different positions and he defo fits that mould. I dont see him being a core player in the 4 key signings I mentioned though.

Dougie Hill is available again but its unlikely as heard 2 league 1 clubs already offered him a deal. 

The other thing I forget about now is that we can no longer pay say squad players £50-60 a week. Due to minimum wage and new legislation it means we have to pay players more than potentially they would have got in past or that they are even worth! spose all clubs are in same boat however.

Archived