Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that the dust has settled on another awful season it's time to look at the squad and see what we have.  Who do we try and keep?

GK

David McGurn - keep

Blair Penman - leave

Joe McGovern - keep

DF

Bryan Gilfillan - keep

Jordan Horby - not seen enough 

Matthew McInally - I quite like him but he couldn't get in the team ahead of Mullen and Malcolm at right back recently

Jamie Pyper - decent enough back up I'd say.  Too prone to lapses in concentration

Scott Rumsby - leave.  Seriously disappointed in him this season

Shaun Rutherford - :lol: Bye bye

Harvey Swann - keep on a 10 year deal

MD

Kyle Miller - keep

Fraser Mullen - keep as a right back

Ali Smith - how often did he even play? Is he still at the club?

Brad Smith - I can't decide with him.  He's been awful every time I've seen him but popped up with a couple of big goals. Is he worth keeping? Impact sub?

Robbie Buchanan - I absolutely can't stand him.  He's utter pish in every game I've seen him - slow, can't control the ball and is too lightweight....but our top scorer and apparently was excellent playing on the left wing?

Ben Reilly - keep.  

Jack Whittaker - I've never seen so no comment!

FW

David Cox - hard worker but badly lacking in composure in front of goal.  I'd say keep though for now!

Cammy Muirhead - keep

Ryan Connelly - keep. Fingers crossed he gets back to fitness and his development hasn't been affected too much by the injury

Loan players

Blair Malcolm - going by the Ross County website he signed a 1 year contract extension at the start of the season so his contract is up.  County going down might mean he's given a chance to prove himself there or they may want to free up some money for new signings. I'd love him back though. Excellent player for this level.

Jordan Sheeryn - I really love his workrate and he did well in his short time with us.  If we could keep him then I'd be happy.

A big job for Bollan anyway.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:07, cowdenbeath said:

I was speaking to the chairman outside the back of the stand before the game and we were talking about the crowd as he said if we had half of them turning up every week we wouldn't be in this league looking at a play off which was a fair point.

True of just about every part time team though sadly Andy. 

It was great to be back on the terracing in the glorious sunshine watching an eventful game which ended in our favour. All of that for just £10 as well. If that doesn't encourage more locals to come along more often just about nothing will.

On 12/05/2018 at 19:39, PELE said:

I wondered what you were playing. I thought it was Waltzing Matilda!

I played Beethoven's Ode to Joy for the players in the dressing room. They gave me a standing ovation (at least that's my interpretation, since they were standing anyway...)

4 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

So now that the dust has settled on another awful season it's time to look at the squad and see what we have.  Who do we try and keep?

GK

David McGurn - keep

Blair Penman - leave

Joe McGovern - keep

DF

Bryan Gilfillan - keep

Jordan Horby - not seen enough 

Matthew McInally - I quite like him but he couldn't get in the team ahead of Mullen and Malcolm at right back recently

Jamie Pyper - decent enough back up I'd say.  Too prone to lapses in concentration

Scott Rumsby - leave.  Seriously disappointed in him this season

Shaun Rutherford - :lol: Bye bye

Harvey Swann - keep on a 10 year deal

MD

Kyle Miller - keep

Fraser Mullen - keep as a right back

Ali Smith - how often did he even play? Is he still at the club?

Brad Smith - I can't decide with him.  He's been awful every time I've seen him but popped up with a couple of big goals. Is he worth keeping? Impact sub?

Robbie Buchanan - I absolutely can't stand him.  He's utter pish in every game I've seen him - slow, can't control the ball and is too lightweight....but our top scorer and apparently was excellent playing on the left wing?

Ben Reilly - keep.  

Jack Whittaker - I've never seen so no comment!

FW

David Cox - hard worker but badly lacking in composure in front of goal.  I'd say keep though for now!

Cammy Muirhead - keep

Ryan Connelly - keep. Fingers crossed he gets back to fitness and his development hasn't been affected too much by the injury

Loan players

Blair Malcolm - going by the Ross County website he signed a 1 year contract extension at the start of the season so his contract is up.  County going down might mean he's given a chance to prove himself there or they may want to free up some money for new signings. I'd love him back though. Excellent player for this level.

Jordan Sheeryn - I really love his workrate and he did well in his short time with us.  If we could keep him then I'd be happy.

A big job for Bollan anyway.

Not much room for improvement there, you’re keeping most of the players!

we will have to be a lot more ruthless to improve. This squad has had a plenty long enough chance.

we will have to be a lot more ruthless to improve. This squad has had a plenty long enough chance.

Again, this. Miller for me especially needs to go. He's stale much like what Milne was before he left - he'll do a job elsewhere. Mullen is not a good player although credit where it's due - he's performed admirably at RB.

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

It was great to be back on the terracing in the glorious sunshine watching an eventful game which ended in our favour. All of that for just £10 as well. If that doesn't encourage more locals to come along more often just about nothing will.

It was so much better than the EK game last season.  Great in the sunshine, great atmosphere.  Not so long ago Cowden would have crumbled if we were down 2-1 at half time, especially having been ahead. A change of tactics at half time meant that we played football on the deck and  the lumbering Cove defenders couldn't deal with it. (The clue was in the first five minutes when two big defenders panicked when Robbie ran at them.)  We also got Brad Smith on the ball in the second half, and he was a handful.

Gary Bollan and Mark Fotheringham definitely made a difference and saved our season. The players definitely played for the manager, who had command of the dressing room. I'm pleased that GB has been signed up for next season - for the first time in ages we have a manager in place right away before the new season starts. Gary will already know in his own mind who he wants to keep and who he will let go. He's been around the blocks enough to know who he will try to sign to replace those who leave.

If we could get even 5 per cent of that big crowd to return, it would make a difference. No point in moaning about the town not supporting us - we need a strategy to engage people. We could start by looking at what Kelty Hearts are doing right - they seem  to be very forward-looking. In the mobile phone age, we have to have a strong social media engagement - that's how lots of people communicate these days. We also need a good recruitment policy. Craig Brown told me that there are good players (and managers) out there in the juniors, who might be tempted to have another go at senior level (like Kris Renton and Darren McGregor did). Imagine if we had a front pairing of Jordyn Sherin and Mitch Megginson - last season we could hardly buy a goal.

Anyway, we are savouring another great escape - but we can't keep doing this. There's a good spirit at the club - now's the time to build on that.

Anyway, we are savouring a

great escape. We can't do this again.

12 minutes ago, big al said:

100%

Based on Saturday Swann and McGurn. You could make a case for Brad as well as he has talent. Gillfilan too but he looks to be really struggling. The rest?  Meh.

6 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Aye I know Muzz a lot of the folk were neutrals from other clubs and down south who you would never get anyway. Would be good if we could even get a small percentage of the locals back.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye I know Muzz a lot of the folk were neutrals from other clubs and down south who you would never get anyway. Would be good if we could even get a small percentage of the locals back.

If we can get off to a decent start next season, you never know. One thing for sure, if we start off the way we did the last couple of seasons  there won’t be many new faces at the games.

21 hours ago, big al said:

Seems Bollan has agreed for next season. Let’s see what he can do given a better chance now.

i would keep mcgurn, gilfillan, Swann as absolutely essential.

also keep smith, Buchanan, Mullen, Reilly.

we won’t run with a massive squad so I would like to see us try and replace he rest with better players.

i would already be on the phone to deano, see the difference from gilfillan coming in, a guy who really wants to play for the club , so it’s time for dean to come home for me.

i would also go for kenny Adamson again. Spoke to him recently and he wasn’t playing since leaving Kelty but misses it and he’s still young enough. At least a pre season to see if both parties happy.

wouldnt be against Malcolm returning on loan again but no idea if that’s at all likely.

we need at least half the team refreshed anyway, the rot has to stop right now.

Have to keep Dean off Twitter though:lol:

I’m happy to see Bollan in the dugout for next season. He deserves the chance to start from scratch. He came in when we were down and almost out and he turned it around. Hopefully he can get some funds to sign players who can get us challenging at the right end of the table. Onwards & upwards.

11 hours ago, onecowden said:

I’m happy to see Bollan in the dugout for next season. He deserves the chance to start from scratch. He came in when we were down and almost out and he turned it around. Hopefully he can get some funds to sign players who can get us challenging at the right end of the table. Onwards & upwards.

At the AGM last night shareholders were challenged to provide funds  or to consider any legitimate ways of raising funds and to take action. Can you help?

15 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

At the AGM last night shareholders were challenged to provide funds  or to consider any legitimate ways of raising funds and to take action. Can you help?

I'll make a start. When are season tickets available? Strike while the iron's hot.

34 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

I have suggested a fundraising dinner which will be discussed in the coming months for all proceeds to be earmarked to pay a wage for a quality player etc 

34 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

I have suggested a fundraising dinner which will be discussed in the coming months for all proceeds to be earmarked to pay a wage for a quality player etc 

Your very recent fundraising dinner contributed £7000 and was a great night. Keep up the great work.

You need to update :  I WAS THERE!

COWDENBEATH 3  COVE 2

Yes. I do, and I will keep doing so.

Apologies for the length of the following post - my first on this forum - but I wanted to share with you my own personal experiences of attending my first two Cowden games this season, including Saturday's match...

DEBUT V ELGIN IN MARCH

Having waited over two decades to attend a match at Central Park having seen the ground as an impressionable youngster on Grandstand, or some such programme in the early 90s, and being brought up supporting Manchester United in the north west of England with that club on the brink of the most successful period in its glorious history, I finally made my Cowden 'debut' in March, with the Miners having not won since the second week of the season, and once more consigned to a place at the bottom of the league and a play-off match that the few supporters I spoke to before that Elgin City home game in mid-March had little hope of winning.

Speaking to some fans in Wee Jimmy's before that day, I had never met a more despondent bunch of football supporters pre-match (and, believe me, following FC United these past couple of years, there's certainly been some stress-inducing levels of despondency in the Mancunian air during recent times). They had not only consigned themselves to relegation into the Lowland League, they genuinely thought they wouldn't have a club to support a year later if relegation did, as they thought, inevitably follow.

I told my new-found friends, whose side had won just one league game all season up until then, that I was sure I'd act as their lucky charm against an Elgin side eyeing a play-off place with victory. Te laughed at me, unconvinced by this daft new stranger in their town. I then made a dart to the ground hoping the programme I was told was the best in the league was definitely worth buying and getting hold of before they sold out. On that front, I wasn't disappointed - the Blue Brazilian being by far the finest programme I'd read in many years and a wonderful achievement from the editors to such a superb publication, which is sadly only appreciated by so few.

Joining the three on the far terrace (I was told it wouldn't be difficult to find them as I'd hear them shouting at the officials before I'd see them, and that there would also be nobody else there!), I took my place on the sparse terrace with our group of four making up around a quarter of the folk on that side of the ground in a crowd of just 242.

A turgid first half-hour ensued, though I was far more engrossed in the wonderfully eclectic environment I now found myself in at Central Park to care too much about the quality of football on a snow-swept pitch marked with red lines. My first impressions of the place I'd waited so long to first visit certainly surpassed any expectations and though a world away from your identikit modern stadia many clubs are happy to move into these days, subsequently destroying history and generations of footballing memories, I couldn't understand the numerous negative comments I'd read about this supposed shithole. I started watching football in the 80s, when facilities everywhere were crap, but I didn't go to games for the facilities on offer in the grounds - I would go to matches to watch football. Or at least an attempt by the two teams involved in something resembling football. If a pub's boozer has dodgy toilets, but serves a good cheap pint in a fine old environment, then you'd go there very time over your generic chain pub, happy to be in a more traditional environment. And just breathe in on those brief excursions to the bog.

Anyway, I digress. Despite the poor start to a freezing game played against a backdrop of snow showers and bursts of rarely-seen sunshine, Cowdenbeath - to the surprise of the few in attendance - started to play a bit of football. Now stringing at least two passes together on an irregular basis, they found themselves heading into the half-time break 2-0 in front for the first time this season to joyous and stunned scenes on the terraces thanks to two goals in just three minutes.

"I told you I'd be a lucky charm," I jokingly piped up to the few Cowden faithful I'd met pre-match, though they quickly responded in unison that there was plenty of time to bugger things up and despite a two-goal cushion, optimism was clearly something lacking in this corner of the Fife kingdom.

Lo and behold, shortly after the interval, Elgin pulled a goal back to set up a nervous finale to the game. With the 4.55 train back to Edinburgh beckoning, I left my companions to handshakes and half-baked promises that I'd return for the play-off second leg should the Coos hold out for victory that afternoon, hardly any of us probably believing I would actually be back less than two months after my first visit to the former mining town. I spent the final few minutes of the match near the steps in the corner of the ground, ready to make a quick dash for the station on the final whistle, and celebrated alone as Cowden netted an unexpected third against the late run of play as the visitors went in pursuit of a leveller. Throwing a celebratory fist-pumping salute to the lads on the far terrace, I returned to Warrington Bank Quay some five hours later absolutely delighted with my first Cowdenbeath experience.

THE PLAY-OFFS & COVE

Having since read Ron Ferguson's superb books on the club and town, I think I had certainly caught a small dose of what the author calls Mad Cowdenbeath Disease. From the first match I followed with interest, from afar, the club's subsequent semi-revival in form that held produce the finest run of an otherwise forgettable season; and possibly instilled the belief in the team's once beleaguered players that perhaps they might just be capable of somehow surviving another terrible campaign - once those slightly far-fetched dreams of pegging back either Berwick or Edinburgh City finally faded as the season reached its conclusion.

And so a few weeks ago, I committed to paying slightly more than I'd have liked for a much-anticipated return to Central Park. And this time around I'd managed to convince a friend I'd been attending games at FC United with for the past decade to tag along for the 13-hour round trip; his first impression on seeing internet images of the ground being, typically, "Bloody hell, that looks like a bit of a dump! Where are you taking me?!" Yet just like me, he was soon won over. For me personally, having witnessed that long-awaited victory against Elgin City just a couple of months ago, I felt a kind of duty to return and hopefully impart some of that talismanic (manic possibly being the most apt part of that word) effect I obviously had at my last match! Plus, having followed the story for the past eight weeks, I felt I had to see what could be the final chapter in over century of Scottish Football League history. If this was going to be the final part of that particular story, then I just had to be there.

In total contrast to my previous visit where the temperature barely rose above freezing, we arrived in Cowdenbeath just an hour before kick-off to be greeted by glorious sunshine on Saturday 15th May on what could prove a historic day for both clubs should Cove be promoted into the league at the expense of The Blue Brazil. Giving up on efforts to get served in both Wee Jimmy's and Partners, we finally managed to get a quick (final) beer in the New Goth (or whatever the New Goth's new name is these days). Supping outside and soaking up the sun, we became quickly conscious of the fact that it seemed half of Cove appeared to have turned up, all sporting their Sunday best. As group after group of middle-aged men wearing badly-fitting suits staggered past, looking like they were off to church having being dressed by their mums, many were asking directions to the ground just one minute away. As one Cowden fan pointed them in the right direction, I thought it would be helpful to question this local's finger pointing towards Central Park, jokingly telling these confident and merry groups from the north that the ground was in fact on the old pitch at the other end of the High Street.

With 20 minutes to kick-off we made our own way to what many locals might rightfully called the Theatre of Recurring Nightmares in recent years hoping we weren't about to witness another. After overcoming the disappointment of missing out on a copy of the Blue Brazilian this time around (no doubt bundles being snaffled up early on by dealers eager to make a few quid on internet auction sites), I invested in a few items from the club shop, took a few pictures of the old stand, before quickly taking up a place on a terrace that was packed with many more fans than my initial visit - a great sight to behold under a gloriously blue sky. In such an environment, my travel companion on his first visit to Central Park was also quickly succumbing to symptoms of MCD and was joining myself in celebration soon after as the hosts went in front early on thanks to a much-deserved penalty, Cove's off-the-pace centre-back tripping his quicker Cowden counterpart inside the area as he broke through on goal and poised to shoot.

Although the Miners made a positive start to proceedings, the early goal and scrappy start to the match proved the kick up the arse the Aberdeen side seemed to be in need of. I turned to my friend and said "That goal might have just come too early", hoping it didn't galvanise Cove. I also commented on the fact I thought the best chance Cowden would have of winning this game would be to play ugly to ruffle an opposition used to pretty much having their own way in most of their matches during their frees-coring title-winning season, and that if they tried playing football, they'd probably get out-footballed. It really was about win at any cost. It didn't have to look pretty.

Cove did start too play football, though, and Cowdenbeath started to struggle in a game the visitors began to dominate. A poor goal was conceded just a couple of minutes after the opener as the highly-rated Highland League hotshot Mitch Megginson finally netted in the two-leg tie and it was a fine volleyed finish on the turn from the same man that put Cove in front around 10 minutes later and with just over 20 minutes on the clock.

Many around us feared the worst as Cove enjoyed their finest period of play in the play-off yet failed to capitalise on their domination and despite an effort that Cowden keeper Dave McGurn somehow managed to keep out from point-blank range almost seeing the Highland League champions increase their lead further, Cove didn't really test the home side's number one as both keepers didn't have much to do other than pick the ball out of their nets and retrieve any wayward efforts that found their way onto the track behind their respective goals.

Half-time on the terraces and not many around us held much hope that Cowden could find a way back into this one as a funeral-like feeling swept over the crowd; a morbid car-crash effect taking effect on many wanting to see a club's league history die in front of them as they can't take their eyes off the painful scenes - despite one old fella threatening to leave at the break, stuttering "I don't know how much more of this I want to see". 

Luckily he stayed to see Cowdenbeath turn up for the second half reinvigorated. They finally started playing ugly - but more importantly playing with a sense of direction, width and purpose - with Cove also appearing up for a physical battle as they looked to preserve a slender lead and possibly hit the home team on the break. Unfortunately for them, they didn't really get many chances thereon in and the decision to not go all out for victory ultimately proved a costly one for manager John Sheran.

When Cowden's Harry Swann doubled his tally for the afternoon five minutes after the turnaround to level things, from my vantage point on the terrace's halfway line, it initially appeared that the free-kick delivered from in front of the visiting fans was more of a cross than a shot. Not that anyone around us seemed to care. Game on once again, and this time it was Cove who failed to recover from conceding a second goal as they offered very little attacking threat for the rest of the game (until the final few minutes, that is, but in a completely different and mindless sense).

If Cove had continued the second period as they finished the first half, then they would have had no worries about securing their much-desired promotion. Yet it seemed like a combination of possibly arrogance that the job was all-but done with 45 minutes remaining,  aligned with some obvious defensive frailties and the failure to maintain a foothold in a game they were controlling, whilst also offering minimal further threat up-front.

Seeing Cove's football-playing confidence dissolve by the minute as the game progressed and the score remained level, it was Cowdenbeath who looked to play the more productive football as Cove appeared to adopt that win-at-all-costs mentality that undermined their supposed superior ability as a team.

Then came the incident that turned the tie. And like many around me, I couldn't say with certainty exactly what happened in the build-up to what has proved to be a much-debated winning goal. My first impression was "What the hell is the keeper doing up there" as he ventured further away from the safety of his goalline. With the slightly obscured viewed provided by the fencing around the pitch, and whilst also scanning quickly the scene in front of the keeper as the ball broke clear, the next thing I realised was that he was scrambling back to his goal with the ball sailing over his head and on the way into the back of the next from 40 yards when I was expecting it to be another effort consigned to the track. I think most eyes were on the ensuing shot that the subsequent coming together of Cowden's Jordyn Sheerin and Cove keeper McKenzie, which only clear television coverage could prove conclusive for most in the ground or commenting on matters.

Surprisingly, the goalbound bombardment on The Miners' goal didn't really ensue after Brad Smith's superbly-controlled strike with around 20 minutes remaining and it seemed that Cove were more intent on taking out their frustrations of Cowden's third goal out on their opponents than actually concentrating on the job of fighting their way back into the game once more. Something they were certainly capable of doing given the right application. But the lost it and played right into the hosts' hands with Cowdenbeath fans barely believing that their side had managed to turn the tie around after a mostly torrid first half.

It was obviously a day and occasion emotion-filled for both clubs involved with so much at stake and considering what was on the line for either side, it was little surprise to see a tumultuous end to proceedings after a very long season as the clock passed 90 minutes in the second of two highly-charged games. Yet the challenge that led to the resulting brawl was an absolute shocker, highlighting just how far Cove had lost their heads with the challenge being committed by the captain, and taking places in front of (and eventually in) the home dugout, it was definitely not a surprised that this unsavoury incident, it provided the perfect spark for the entertaining fireworks that followed.

With a 20-man battle of handbags, elbows, fists and insults flying in the final minutes following Eric Watson's potential leg-breaker, the sound of the harmonica provided a fittingly poignant contrast to the scenes unfolding on the field in front of us, while the comparative calmness and relief from the home fans on the terraces watching on from a distance finally, and slowly, returned as the clock ticked down, the red cards came out one by one, and with each dismissal increasing the likelihood of another unlikely survival for the Miners, Fifers (and those travelling from further afar) finally celebrated the end of what must have been the most torturous of seasons for those who have followed it from start to finish.

As for the play-offs and my own personal take on the system, having suffered both highs and lows watching this format down the years with my own club, it can never be perfect. Yet for many clubs whose season might possibly be effectively over if it wasn't for such a system, it provides hope in those closing months of a campaign that, maybe, just maybe, that promotion might just still be achieved. I can just get my head around the fact a team finishing seventh, for example, could pip a side to promotion that came five places and countless points ahead of them in a season, yet it you manage to throw it away in the closing stages after semmingly cruising for so long, yet ultimately bottle it... maybe you weren't mentally strong enough to deal with the higher level anyway. However, I can never get my head around sides being relegated through play-offs, as relegations are obviously far more catastrophic for clubs than promotions and it seems unfair that a club's potential destiny could be decided over one or two games as opposed to the regular league campaign.

So now the sun still shines as I write this a few days after the events of that final day, the smiles on Cowdenbeath faces remain and the threat of the club offering me a free season ticket for the following campaign by some supporters after the match might just be that, but there's no doubt that after my two victorious appearances at Central Park in 2017-18, I am certainly one Lucky Cow!

Despite popping into a once-again packed Wee Jimmy's for a celebratory post-match pint, I never did bump into the friends I made at the Elgin game to say a surprise hello once again - mostly due to the number of people occupying the terrace this time around as opposed to that bone-chilling day in the mid-March snow. But I'll no doubt be back, and already eyeing a few fixtures and a potential first trip to Hampden Park to cheer on The Blue Brazil once more. I've certainly been infected with MCD now. As has the friend who accompanied me to the play-off game for his Cowden debut and is now promising a prompt return.

Good luck for 2018-19, Cowden, and despite the fact I really enjoyed that nerve-racking finale to this season - and thankfully not the club's existence in the Scottish League system - please don't put those loyal fans through any more play-off agony next time around.

Some of my personal Cowden stats this season...

- The 3-1 victory v Elgin was first win in 25 league games and first since second week v Edinburgh, 1-0 at home; while the previous time Cowden faced Elgin at home this season saw the visitors enjoy the same 3-1 scoreline

- First time they'd scored three at home in the league since December 2016 - and even that ended in a 4-3 defeat to Forfar.

- Only scored three goals twice in 2017-18 - and I saw them both in my only two games!

... no wonder people were saying I should be guest of honour at every game next season!

See you again soon, and please keep that Cowden-belief going strong. It's been a pleasure getting to know you so far...

IMG-20180512-02584.jpg

Archived