Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

19 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Interesting detail from Cowden Cowboy about folk undermining Jimmy Nicholl. IMHO he undermined himself with his incompetence. Thing is club needs a major restructure. I'd go junior after taking SPFL parachute payment, find & buy a bit of land  set up a pitch there with a say 4 portacabbins 2 for dressing rooms, 1 for club office and shop and another one where we could run a social club.  Lower costs at junior level, have own ground with a social club that could gain us a bit of income.If that meant club had a sustainable future I'd be happy.  All of Scottish football is terrible, for me doesn't matter if its juniors, SPFL. It's all brutal. 

Everyone is entitled to what they want for Cowdenbeath F.C. 

However going junior? No thank you 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Interesting detail from Cowden Cowboy about folk undermining Jimmy Nicholl. IMHO he undermined himself with his incompetence. Thing is club needs a major restructure. I'd go junior after taking SPFL parachute payment, find & buy a bit of land  set up a pitch there with a say 4 portacabbins 2 for dressing rooms, 1 for club office and shop and another one where we could run a social club.  Lower costs at junior level, have own ground with a social club that could gain us a bit of income.If that meant club had a sustainable future I'd be happy.  All of Scottish football is terrible, for me doesn't matter if its juniors, SPFL. It's all brutal. 

You want to go junior when a good few of the East Junior big hitters are going the other way. I would doubt you would get an SPFL payment if you didn't go into the Lowland League.

We have just been told that the club needs 135k to survive or it's gone in 1 year. So to me it shows that Cowden cannot survive within the SPFL whether at LL or L2 levels. We have no assets and limited income so why not take the parachute payment by going into LL, bank the money for eventual plan to go junior as it is highly unlikely 135k will be raised, resign from SPFL and set up as junior in season 2019/2020. That means we can build with lower costs and hopefully found a ground with a basic set up away from CP. Then we can survive with a budget based upon the 300 regulars showing up now.

Can't see what the problem is with going junior is if it means Cowden can survive.  If you don't want to stick around Cowden316 that's up to you & you can go back to Ibrox. 

What would you do, apart from what's been tried and failed? 

42 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

We have just been told that the club needs 135k to survive or it's gone in 1 year. So to me it shows that Cowden cannot survive within the SPFL whether at LL or L2 levels. We have no assets and limited income so why not take the parachute payment by going into LL, bank the money for eventual plan to go junior as it is highly unlikely 135k will be raised, resign from SPFL and set up as junior in season 2019/2020. That means we can build with lower costs and hopefully found a ground with a basic set up away from CP. Then we can survive with a budget based upon the 300 regulars showing up now.

Can't see what the problem is with going junior is if it means Cowden can survive.  If you don't want to stick around Cowden316 that's up to you & you can go back to Ibrox. 

What would you do, apart from what's been tried and failed? 

I am going to get straight to the point here. 

Firstly I personally think if Cowdenbeath were to go junior there is no chance it would have its 300 followers I can tell you that much. Do most Cowden Fans want to go junior I highly doubt it and hope not. Your heart is in the right place as you want the club to continue but surrendering to the Juniors certainly isn't the answer. Also no Scottish Cup entry for a potential big money draw etc, you say you will get land and build a social club. There is no guarantees you would achieve a licence to do so for alcohol etc

Secondly going junior lacks complete ambition to take the club forward taking into account  its proud history and traditions . There is no money in the junior leagues for ambitious clubs that's why so many are now itching to be part of the Pyramid set up. 

What would I do well what I continue to do by driving initiatives for the good of the club, getting behind Club 135, promoting it, asking people to donate, thinking outside the box, influencing, leading the 100 club, encouraging people to take the clubs recommendation if joining the supporters Council, engaging with a wide range of fans and acting as a focal point for those who aren't in Scotland, engaging with the board etc etc 

The key in all of this is communication, engagement, innovation  and hard work together as much as we can as fans,players, management, board  to help the football club move forward. 

I am unclear about your viewpoint of whats already been tried and failed? It wasn't that long ago we had a good go at staying in the championship for 3 seasons as a small part time club is that a failure? Very much one of our successes but latley we have been very very poor which hasn't been helped probably by various circumstances. 

Whilst in the championship we lost our focus and took the good times for granted where we should have continued to raise extra funds took advantage of that good team spirit and have fundraising nights with the players whilst also attracting good crowds but you need the help of fans and volunteers to help drive it. No person can do it alone. 

Other than less stringent regulations on grounds there isn’t a single benefit to going junior over staying in the league set up. It doesn’t make any sense at all. The Lowland league or even the EoS league are far more attractive propositions to sit in an rebuild the club. 

The parachute payment about 40k or so. Hardly enough to buy land, build a ground, sign a junior team, enter the junior leagues while we get 40 fans watching us play Blairgowrie, Scone Thistle and Luncarty. 

Thats complete an utter mentalist patter. Why on earth would you want to go junior?

17 hours ago, __connor123 said:

Well this is the thing, Sir Alex is one of the best and most respected managers in the world so hopefully the fact the he (someone who has no reason to take an interest in cowdenbeath fc) has shown his support will encourage the people of cowdenbeath (who do actually have a reason to support the club) to do the same.

This is exactly the point. But Alex Ferguson's support isn't in itself going to save the club - he's not a white knight who's going to buy Central Park!  Saving Cowdenbeath FC  is going to require a number of different things, including Club 135. Throughout its history, Cowdenbeath FC has survived several crisis points when the survival of the club was at stake.  When faced with the threat to the club, the fans and the town rallied round. We had a guy, Jock Gilliard, a passionate supporter whose enthusiasm helped to mobilise people for the cause.  It was thanks to Jock and his team  all these years ago that we eventually had the great times -  like seeing the helicopter arrive at CP  with the title trophy for the first time in 67 years ,  four seasons in the Championship, thrashing Dunfermline 3-0 in the play-offs, etc.  

But nostalgia isn't going to save the club. The point about the Alex Ferguson interview is that it's essentially addressed to the wider community of Cowdenbeath. It points out that people in the area could wake up one day soon and see big headlines announcing the demise of Cowdenbeath FC.  If people don't really care,  the club that was founded a few years before Celtic FC was formed will die.  We'll be in the same graveyard as Third Lanark.  Sir Alex Ferguson is a gigantic figure in the game and he really does care about Cowden - if there aren't enough folk who care about the club as much as he does,  then the club is in its death throes.  But maybe this wake-up call will have a meaningful response - who knows?

A lot of good points have been made in this discussion, with good insights from fans of other clubs.  What is the club's longer term strategy for the club?  This needs to be made clearer.  There's no point in simply blaming the community - what vision are we proposing to "sell" to the wider community beyond mere survival?  

15 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

This is exactly the point. But Alex Ferguson's support isn't in itself going to save the club - he's not a white knight who's going to buy Central Park!  Saving Cowdenbeath FC  is going to require a number of different things, including Club 135. Throughout its history, Cowdenbeath FC has survived several crisis points when the survival of the club was at stake.  When faced with the threat to the club, the fans and the town rallied round. We had a guy, Jock Gilliard, a passionate supporter whose enthusiasm helped to mobilise people for the cause.  It was thanks to Jock and his team  all these years ago that we eventually had the great times -  like seeing the helicopter arrive at CP  with the title trophy for the first time in 67 years ,  four seasons in the Championship, thrashing Dunfermline 3-0 in the play-offs, etc.  

But nostalgia isn't going to save the club. The point about the Alex Ferguson interview is that it's essentially addressed to the wider community of Cowdenbeath. It points out that people in the area could wake up one day soon and see big headlines announcing the demise of Cowdenbeath FC.  If people don't really care,  the club that was founded a few years before Celtic FC was formed will die.  We'll be in the same graveyard as Third Lanark.  Sir Alex Ferguson is a gigantic figure in the game and he really does care about Cowden - if there aren't enough folk who care about the club as much as he does,  then the club is in its death throes.  But maybe this wake-up call will have a meaningful response - who knows?

A lot of good points have been made in this discussion, with good insights from fans of other clubs.  What is the club's longer term strategy for the club?  This needs to be made clearer.  There's no point in simply blaming the community - what vision are we proposing to "sell" to the wider community beyond mere survival?  

Did Sir Alex Ferguson make a donation to Club 135?

After witnessing the effort on Tuesday night I believe we have the right to be more optimistic today. Gary Bollan has made a difference and with our support this team will build a momentum for the playoffs. Maybe others will join us along the way if the team gets a result or two. Let’s get some positivity on this thread. We can make our own luck.

Going junior may not be the answer but Cowden Phil has a point , he’s trying to think of a plan to get away from Central Park, and I don’t blame him. 

It needs demolished but we can’t afford to and don’t have the rights to.

1 minute ago, Velazquez Blue said:

After witnessing the effort on Tuesday night I believe we have the right to be more optimistic today. Gary Bollan has made a difference and with our support this team will build a momentum for the playoffs. Maybe others will join us along the way if the team gets a result or two. Let’s get some positivity on this thread. We can make our own luck.

Not convinced about Bollan yet but have to agree we were alright the other night. Better than I expected and trying extremely hard in he game. Certainly looked nothing like a team cut 15 a drift.

we are not down yet.

9 minutes ago, big al said:

Not convinced about Bollan yet but have to agree we were alright the other night. Better than I expected and trying extremely hard in he game. Certainly looked nothing like a team cut 15 a drift.

we are not down yet.

He has just had the January transfer window to work with which traditionally is now the best one out of the 2 as most of the decent players get signed in the summer. 

12 minutes ago, big al said:

Going junior may not be the answer but Cowden Phil has a point , he’s trying to think of a plan to get away from Central Park, and I don’t blame him. 

It needs demolished but we can’t afford to and don’t have the rights to.

I can see where Phil is coming from re a ground but I think the parachute payment is £40k I know Cowdenbeath is not famed for expensive real estate but you would get much with that.

As someone else pointed out going junior would mean giving up your Scottish Cup place, also if we were relegated and in the LL  would be in the Challenge and League Cups next season so you would be giving the money from those up as well. As I said yesterday i'm not even sure you would be entitled to a payment from the SPFL if you didn't go into the LL.

The LL at least gives you a gateway back into the SPFL but if you went junior you would be casting yourself adrift from that. More and more junior sides will be jumping ship over the next few years to go the other way.

I had a feeling that the Berwick game would get postponed and ours would be on and we would win to cut the gap to a mere 12 points. Looking good so far.

Is Hornby fit? The team is looking way better now. As I said before, go with three upfront. Cox, Sheerin and Muirhead, with Swann in behind them.

Come on Cowden!

The facts are we are a poorly supported part time club who does not own its ground & which costs us rent & we have lost stock car/ market income. Club has made some poor managerial choices which has resulted in relegation & now we are facing our 2nd relegation play off.  All these things are not helped by volunteers, supporters, board members & all involved in the club having disagreements, getting frustrated and folk walking away. 

Now that's the past. We now need a clear plan & strategy to ensure survival. For me, we need to address the ground situation firstly. We need to move from CP to a ground we own & where we have the facilities such as catering & a wee social club where we could earn income from. To help us do this we need to unify 100 club, bonus ball, club 135, Cowden Lottery under one fundraising initiative. Bring all the volunteers together from these schemes and unify membership of schemes under a New Ground New Future fund. with all money pit aside for buying land, etc, putting in a plastic pitch and getting the Portacabbins.  The vision we need to sell to the hardcore fans and wider public is we want to build a sustainable strong community club with facilities for community to use.

General consensus is that fans want club to stay in SPFL structure so if we get relegated this year we need to accept is that for a long period we will have a playing budget that is in line with mid table LL side at best or a side at bottom end LL or EOS side as we build our funds to get a new ground. 

We all need to play our part. This involves from forming a supporters council to more folk helping out on match day.  We need new blood in the club from fans to new directors. IMO a restructure of the board needs doing as well to help those who have shouldered the burden of last 5 seasons but also to give new ideas. Part of that involves reaching out to those who left & seeing if they want to get back on board. I'd love to see John Lints & Big John back at the club. 

Archived