Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

40 minutes ago, big al said:

The point wasn’t we need 100 extra fans at next home games. More that we just don’t have enough fans and club135 is just pie in the sky with such a small support.

we have what we have so have to accept it, stop paying what we can’t afford in wages, stop signing far too many players and just get on with it. I realise this would have helped us if had this policy 3 years ago but it’s done now.

Agreed.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed.

I accept to an extent what is being said but it is always easy to look back. Going forward, who are the folks who are going to just get on with it then because that needs settled? If we had taken that path 3 years ago we would already be in the Lowland League - but if that was the right path why didn't fans step up and say that's what we'll do? There were meetings, we tried to get a Supporters Council to enhance communications but nobody really said anything much. I look back and see that 2014/15 was a turning point - not helped by some folks attempts to undermine Jimmy Nicholl. That just didn't help the club one bit and just made everything very complex and difficult - that's nothing to do with whether Jimmy should have gone or not. John Lints left as Chief Executive to be replaced by Alex Anderson who then doubled up as chief exec and secretary - too much really. Then Alex leaves and I am finance director and secretary and there is no chief executive - way too much. Other volunteers leave and you have less and less people doing more and more of a mountain of work. Doesn't really work

Really hope Cowden can get out of this, not your biggest fans and like a bit of banter about you maybe going down etc but losing your club is just brutal.

I just dunno how you can get out of this situation though, the talk from Sir Alex is all good and well but he could probably do a 10k donation from his pocket change.

27 minutes ago, __connor123 said:

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not but I’m fairly sure they know who he is.

Well, if Aberdeen were in such a position I’m sure you’d get a massive reaction.

I really don’t think too many folk in Cowden even care about the club.

Well, if Aberdeen were in such a position I’m sure you’d get a massive reaction.

I really don’t think too many folk in Cowden even care about the club.

Well this is the thing, Sir Alex is one of the best and most respected managers in the world so hopefully the fact the he (someone who has no reason to take an interest in cowdenbeath fc) has shown his support will encourage the people of cowdenbeath (who do actually have a reason to support the club) to do the same.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Really hope Cowden can get out of this, not your biggest fans and like a bit of banter about you maybe going down etc but losing your club is just brutal.

I just dunno how you can get out of this situation though, the talk from Sir Alex is all good and well but he could probably do a 10k donation from his pocket change.

So maybe the pyramid system is not as good an idea as many Senior fans make out in the Junior forum.

7 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

So maybe the pyramid system is not as good an idea as many Senior fans make out in the Junior forum.

Well it probably doesn't look like a good idea if it's your club that staring down the relegation barrel, but if your the play off winners, different story.

And at least there is a way back if you go out of the national leagues now.

8 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Well really it is the lack of participation by junior clubs that means the pyramid system is not as good as it could and should be

Well no, it’s still a great idea and the most competitive way of having a league structure.

Cowdenbeaths struggles have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Clubs have had issues before it and clubs will have problems after its introduction too.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well no, it’s still a great idea and the most competitive way of having a league structure.

Cowdenbeaths struggles have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Clubs have had issues before it and clubs will have problems after its introduction too.

Arbroath are okay, they could could groundshare with Arbroath Victoria.

How effective do we think sir Alex Ferguson’s backing of club 135 will be? (For those who don’t know, have a read of the article on the central fife times)

Relatively little effect, it will help get you a few press articles but will struggle to have impact 'on the ground', getting fans to put their hands in their pockets and to help out in other ways takes a lot of time and energy. You need to be open, honest and persistent, it takes a lot to build the momentum required to 'save a club' and a few quotes are not significant in achieving that.

Erm, the problems at cowdenbeath and the pyramid are not linked.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Or, loan us a few players for the run in!

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Erm, the problems at cowdenbeath and the pyramid are not linked.

Correct but no LL and Cowdenbeath would just be some old league team holding up the bottom of the bottom division, while the rest of us figure out who can be worse than East Stirling.

6 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Correct but no LL and Cowdenbeath would just be some old league team holding up the bottom of the bottom division, while the rest of us figure out who can be worse than East Stirling.

East Stirlingshire.

The only thing wrong with the pyramid is the route into League 2. It should be easier to move up/down.

Interesting detail from Cowden Cowboy about folk undermining Jimmy Nicholl. IMHO he undermined himself with his incompetence. Thing is club needs a major restructure. I'd go junior after taking SPFL parachute payment, find & buy a bit of land  set up a pitch there with a say 4 portacabbins 2 for dressing rooms, 1 for club office and shop and another one where we could run a social club.  Lower costs at junior level, have own ground with a social club that could gain us a bit of income.If that meant club had a sustainable future I'd be happy.  All of Scottish football is terrible, for me doesn't matter if its juniors, SPFL. It's all brutal. 

Archived