Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

If you guys do go down and unfortunately do end up having to close, I can't wait until we have a load of 'relegation killed Cowden' type nonsense, when the sad reality is the asset stripping c***s that are the Brewsters really are pretty much solely responsible, no? As soon as they took the ground away from the football club, it was the beginning of the end in a sense?

The Brewster brothers didn't plan it this way and I am sure they would rather be out of the club. I don't blame anyone, but Gordon McD got a really good deal at the time and that was when it started to look worrying. It was always going to be a struggle from then unless someone came in with cash to spare.

Better start buying the Euro millions tickets (other well known lotteries are also available)!

Cowdenbeath doesn’t deserve the football club. Where are all the fans who were at the playoff against EK?

You know something? I'm fed up of people (myself included) moaning about all the gloryhunters jumping on one of many buses travelling to Glasgow every other week as an example. Every single club has the same 'supporters' turning up for the big game. We're not unique in that respect. I had three of my closest mates with me at the EK game, all Pars supporters two with season tickets at EEP.

I absolutely agree we should be commanding more people through the gates every other week with the population of Cowdenbeath and the surrounding areas but there are many factors why that isn't happening.

It's essentially the Brewsters that are killing us. A very badly timed business decision is going to end a club with nearly 140 years worth of history. It's absolutely criminal. The general public, the council and the Brewsters couldn't give a rats arse about that.

As a Berwick supporter i'd hate to see Cowden fold, so good luck to you's in getting back onto a solid footing. Can i just ask something from an outsider though?  During the years Cowden were in the Championship and Div 1, where did all the extra revenue go for the club to require £135,000 to survive another season?  I do get it that most, if not all clubs at our level are broke, and struggle to survive. Anyway, like i say, good luck to your club going forward.

The survival of our football club is totally down to us. The supporters. Not just the fans that continue to go to CP for every match, not just the fans who travel up and down the country to see us play, it’s also everyone who has just an affection for Cowdenbeath. We’re a small club in a small area but we’ve shown in the past what can be achieved when we all get behind the team as a community (promotion, successive seasons in the championship) but now the stakes couldn’t be higher, we’re talking about whether our club survives or not. So please I urge the people of Cowdenbeath and others with an affection for this historic club - save it! We need your support back. If we don’t get that community support back, Cowdenbeath with no longer have a football club as it has for the last 137 years. What would the community have then?? It’s lost enough, we can’t lose our football team too. So please get down to CP bring your pals. Save our club. [emoji838][emoji1054]

2 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

You know something? I'm fed up of people (myself included) moaning about all the gloryhunters jumping on one of many buses travelling to Glasgow every other week as an example. Every single club has the same 'supporters' turning up for the big game. We're not unique in that respect. I had three of my closest mates with me at the EK game, all Pars supporters two with season tickets at EEP.

I absolutely agree we should be commanding more people through the gates every other week with the population of Cowdenbeath and the surrounding areas but there are many factors why that isn't happening.

It's essentially the Brewsters that are killing us. A very badly timed business decision is going to end a club with nearly 140 years worth of history. It's absolutely criminal. The general public, the council and the Brewsters couldn't give a rats arse about that.

I would agree re people coming out for big games, happens at plenty of other clubs with "big" cup ties and do or die promotion/relegation matches.

Overall most teams in this division have poor crowds - 256 at Edinburgh City on Tuesday with a decent amount through from Cowden as well as a few neutrals that I know who go around the grounds in the Edinburgh area. How much of a core support to do City have.

Annan's another one with poor gates like us but they have their social club and will get something renting their ground to Edusport for their Lowland League games.

Even for the team they have on the park Peterhead probably should get better crowds than they do in a much bigger population than Cowdenbeath but they don't they will however make a good few quid from their hospitality facilities and social club at the ground.

As CC mentioned above the Brewster's probably got as much of a bum deal as the football club have got. Paying top dollar before the 2008 crash and not getting planning permission. I suppose they have to salvage what they can from something I imagine they would never have dreamed off still owning 10 years later.

4 minutes ago, dreamteamer said:

As a Berwick supporter i'd hate to see Cowden fold, so good luck to you's in getting back onto a solid footing. Can i just ask something from an outsider though?  During the years Cowden were in the Championship and Div 1, where did all the extra revenue go for the club to require £135,000 to survive another season?  I do get it that most, if not all clubs at our level are broke, and struggle to survive. Anyway, like i say, good luck to your club going forward.

We would have been bringing in more income during the Championship days. The money that you get from the SPFL is loaded towards the top two divisions. You get a lot more finishing bottom of the Championship than you do winning League 1 something like £60k. Also we had decent gates with the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Dunfermline and Raith Rovers.

Thanks for your good luck message, I can remember being at Berwick the game before you got chucked out by the greyhound guy in 92 I think it was really felt sorry for your fans that day.

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

You the football factory wannabe that got leathered on the terracing at Central and went crying to his mother?

43 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Just what I was thinking.

Nah that was @Bert Raccoon . While he was still smoking his cigarette.

Few questions need answered really before people should be parting with their cash.

What's the money for? You are asking people to help out without giving a plan on how it's going to help, is it paying off outstanding bills? Is it going towards a stake in Central Park? A new ground? £135k is a huge amount to not give any explanation for.

What's different now? That's yet another article blaming mine closures and no stock car cash, it goes little to explain why the clubs not operating within its means. Not owning the ground and not making income from others renting it is far from a unique situation, you can't keep looking backward.

What changes are being made to prevent the another begging bowl going out in 6 months time(wether relegated or not). You need to run the club differently, we have heard the same arguments about being skint for years now, not sustainable in the championship, not sustainable in league 1, not sustainable in league 2, not sustainable in LL. WHY?

Whilst your poor performances on the pitch can be amusing the business side of the club needs to be structured so it can handle the good and bad times on the pitch, hopefully you get that sorted soon.

Few questions need answered really before people should be parting with their cash.

What's the money for? You are asking people to help out without giving a plan on how it's going to help, is it paying off outstanding bills? Is it going towards a stake in Central Park? A new ground? £135k is a huge amount to not give any explanation for.

What's different now? That's yet another article blaming mine closures and no stock car cash, it goes little to explain why the clubs not operating within its means. Not owning the ground and not making income from others renting it is far from a unique situation, you can't keep looking backward.

What changes are being made to prevent the another begging bowl going out in 6 months time(wether relegated or not). You need to run the club differently, we have heard the same arguments about being skint for years now, not sustainable in the championship, not sustainable in league 1, not sustainable in league 2, not sustainable in LL. WHY?

Whilst your poor performances on the pitch can be amusing the business side of the club needs to be structured so it can handle the good and bad times on the pitch, hopefully you get that sorted soon.

Well the point of the EGM and the Public Meeting is in part to answer those questions - some of your points though have been answered more than once in club communications and meetings over the last few years

I think we basically need about £135k extra every season now, on top of league money, cup money, TV money, gate money etc.

Is that correct?

Without the ground we cannot borrow when times are tough.

15 minutes ago, PELE said:

I think we basically need about £135k extra every season now, on top of league money, cup money, TV money, gate money etc.

Is that correct?

Without the ground we cannot borrow when times are tough.

I think it's a case the club needs the 135k as soon as possible to help underpin the club giving it a more stronger financial base based on the shorter and longer term. Obviously on top of that the club needs fundraising initiatives to continue such as 100 Club, lottery, sponsorship deals, gate money, league and Cup money. That's my interpretation anyway from the Club 135 page 

There is no doubt not having ownership of the ground has weakened the club as it has no real financial business asset which would be attractive to investors and the flexibilitys you can have in owning your own ground particularly the likes of Central Park who hosts a strong following of the stock car racing circuit. 

Without this then you have the situation that we are aware of about the clubs short term future seriously in doubt 

The extra revenue largely went to meet the extra costs of playing in the Championship and reduced the need for more input by Directors. You don't stay in the second tier for 4 years out of five without having a championship budget - otherwise you can't compete. In addition part of the strategy was to maintain that status to see if we could attract investors in the club and leverage a solution to the Club's difficult ownership and ground situation. We couldn't. Maybe Brechin though have chosen to restrict their budget and generate cash instead as a one off this season. I don't know. I seem to recall Berwick having quite a lot of lucrative and televised cup ties but doubt that money hung around long - East Fife too - football eats whatever money you generate it seems. If I recall Dundee were in tier 2 with us when they won promotion - they took Greg Stewart from us then but had made a huge six figure loss despite having crowds maybe 8 to 10 times Cowden's.

Archived