Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

16 hours ago, Cowden316 said:

A few people I think  are getting confused regarding if we go Junior. The Lowland League is not a Junior league if that is what they are referring too.

No it wasn't what I was referring to. What I was meaning is resigning from SPFL to join junior set up i.e do the opposite to Kelty Hearts have done.  Keep hearing from folks it takes less cash to run a club in the juniors and maybe we could do that with the 300 hardcore fans sticking it out in the minute and finish mid table in the junior set up whilst we rebuild. Maybe now that is our level as we don't have a big support and the extra cash which paid the bills in the past has gone. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

No it wasn't what I was referring to. What I was meaning is resigning from SPFL to join junior set up i.e do the opposite to Kelty Hearts have done.  Keep hearing from folks it takes less cash to run a club in the juniors and maybe we could do that with the 300 hardcore fans sticking it out in the minute and finish mid table in the junior set up whilst we rebuild. Maybe now that is our level as we don't have a big support and the extra cash which paid the bills in the past has gone. 

If people want the club to be part of a Junior set up then I am of.  It may be cheaper to run but how many Junior clubs have large rental payments to make to play at their ground. It would not be viable and speaking for myself I would have no interest in Cowdenbeath Football Club being part of a junior set up as it would lack ambition and no real future for the club or the town. 

The club has a proud history of being a senior football club and going junior for me let's that down entirely that  proud history and a sign of giving up. Junior football is all very well for those who enjoy it but as I say conceding our football club to juniors would be a massive let down to the history of the club. 

If the worst is to happen then we will need to rally round and take the club back to SPFL 2 at the first time of asking although this is a difficult task due to the Pyramid playoff set up after winning the Lowland League. Let's just hope we pull of the great escape. 

In regards to our core support many other clubs in the senior ranks have similar support. 

Why would you want to go junior?

300 hardcore fans would make you the biggest club in the Lowland league.

If you go down, rebuild there with a team challenging for promotion and come back stronger.

Surely that makes more sense.

24 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

I would say that's a mad idea Phil. For a start you would give up 2 years of parachute payments from the SPFL if you got relegated, miss out in playing in the Challenge Cup next season and lose your Scottish Cup place. If you added that up it would cost quite a few quid.

28 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Why would you want to go junior?

300 hardcore fans would make you the biggest club in the Lowland league.

If you go down, rebuild there with a team challenging for promotion and come back stronger.

Surely that makes more sense.

Exactly. 

Hopefully we will never have to do that and survive in the SPFL but if our club wishes to continue we would need to do exactly that in the Lowland League. 

The key would be to remain strong, maintain our fans deeper links with the wider community as there isn't much competition in the lowland League apart from Spartans East Stirlingshire, EK and this season BSC Glasgow too. 

Not easy just now being a Cowden fan but we have to keep hoping our fortunes for the club will change for the better soon as we have had a horrific past couple of seasons. 

Luckily we have a loyal board who put in a tremendous amount of commitment behind the scenes and understanbly from a fans point of view have  taken a lot of criticism due to where we are but there is a lot of circumstances making their job extremely difficult.  Tight finances, personal circumstances, stadium ownership, apathy from fans. Some fans of which are a small minority  unfortunately have not taken the opportunity to attend meetings with our board to see the bigger picture behind the scenes 

Without our current board there would simply be no club. 

All we can hope for now is survival for the rest of the campaign and rebuild regardless of how this season finishes. 

Junior football is dying. Daft idea. 

Couple of hot-takes based on yesterday alone seeing as I never really get.

We were terrible (goes without saying) but that was just abysmal. We had next to no football about us, we didn’t work overly hard, we weren’t too physical, we looked slow and had no offence structure. Brad Smith put in one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a Cowden player summed up by him weakly giving the ball away leading up to the penalty.  He looked disinterested and lazy.

Miller and Mullen in the middle of the park clipping balls to no one and constantly moaning at everyone made me so angry. Swanning about like superstars decrying others in the team. 

The wee lad upfront I felt sorry for. Had nothing to feed off - don’t really understand why we didn’t put Muirhead up top alongside him when chasing the game.

I don’t particularly blame Bollan as he’s inherited a shambles but beating Cove/Spartans doesn’t really look likely based on that.

Cumbernauld is a fucking terrible. A truly misterable place.   

32 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Junior football is dying. Daft idea. 

Couple of hot-takes based on yesterday alone seeing as I never really get.

We were terrible (goes without saying) but that was just abysmal. We had next to no football about us, we didn’t work overly hard, we weren’t too physical, we looked slow and had no offence structure. Brad Smith put in one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a Cowden player summed up by him weakly giving the ball away leading up to the penalty.  He looked disinterested and lazy.

Miller and Mullen in the middle of the park clipping balls to no one and constantly moaning at everyone made me so angry. Swanning about like superstars decrying others in the team. 

The wee lad upfront I felt sorry for. Had nothing to feed off - don’t really understand why we didn’t put Muirhead up top alongside him when chasing the game.

I don’t particularly blame Bollan as he’s inherited a shambles but beating Cove/Spartans doesn’t really look likely based on that.

Cumbernauld is a fucking terrible. A truly misterable place.   

I was shocked to see you there:o it was Rumsby who gave the ball away for the Goodwillie penalty incident.

19 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I was shocked to see you there:o it was Rumsby who gave the ball away for the Goodwillie penalty incident.

Brad Smith lost the ball, the Clyde midfielder lumped the ball forward and Goodwillie ran onto the ball and beat Rumsby to it.

Sounds like we are deteriorating instead of improving. The teams who were our direct opponents, mainly Clyde and Edinburgh City (and partially Berwick), have improved after making changes to management/ team etc.

10th is all but a formality now and we can’t construct a Duplo set never mind a few good moves. It really is time for the club to plan for the worst and if we do survive it’s a bonus. No point burying the head in the sand any more, we must be about 90% certain to go down now.

of course, the players and management have to work on and find a way to get some form and win the play off but behind the scenes we can’t plan as if it’s going to happen.

desperate times. Are there no more goodwillies kicking about without a club?

Going junior was only an idea so take your points on board. Reality is we need to steady the ship after 4-5 seasons of absolute guff and disaster.  As stated by me earlier it never ends well for a football club when sold to property developers & this is what we are faced with. now. 

If we go down to Lowland League (and it's looking now like when we go down) we will struggle in that league next year and will not go straight back. Bookmark this and quote me if I'm wrong in the future. Spartans, EK, now BSC Glasgow have money and winning sides who desire to get into the league. Plus they don't have the disadvantages we at Cowden face.  

On playing side the team has gone backwards since GB initial start. GB is working with poor players but he doesn't seem to have a plan B when hit and hope isnt working. 

2 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Going junior was only an idea so take your points on board. Reality is we need to steady the ship after 4-5 seasons of absolute guff and disaster.  As stated by me earlier it never ends well for a football club when sold to property developers & this is what we are faced with. now. 

If we go down to Lowland League (and it's looking now like when we go down) we will struggle in that league next year and will not go straight back. Bookmark this and quote me if I'm wrong in the future. Spartans, EK, now BSC Glasgow have money and winning sides who desire to get into the league. Plus they don't have the disadvantages we at Cowden face.  

On playing side the team has gone backwards since GB initial start. GB is working with poor players but he doesn't seem to have a plan B when hit and hope isnt working. 

Would agree the ship needs steadied after the last 4 years.  I've seen quite a bit of the Lowland League since it started and it has got stronger as times went on. As you say EK, Spartans and BSC are decent, Shire have really hit form after a sluggish start. Cumbernauld also looked not too bad when I seen them last season but are out of the title race by a distance.

I would think out of all the contenders for the title EK are the most likely to have spent most money on their squad. BSC have probably spent a bit more this season to challenge, not sure about Spartans I think their too sensibly run to go over the top spending a huge amount on wages.

3 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Clyde didn’t look great but they had a class act up top. Rumsby isn’t very good on the deck - never really noticed that before. 

Aye if it wasn't for the obvious reasons he wouldn't be anywhere near this league.

21 hours ago, Cowden316 said:

A few people I think  are getting confused regarding if we go Junior. The Lowland League is not a Junior league if that is what they are referring too. 

As for if we go down will we survive well that depends on the fans if they wish to continue following their local football club. The club will benefit initially  from the SPFL parachute payment so no difference to this year's budget. East Stirlingshire are still in existence. 

That's the downbeat talk if we did go down but we still have a chance and the players must step up to the plate and fast. 

There is absolutely no doubt that this season has been a scandalous season and unacceptable from a fans point of view. 

However we all I am sure want the same thing and that is the club to continue its proud history in being at the heart of the community so we must continue to give Bollan and the team our full backing. 

We will see how East Stirlingshire do next season without the parachute payment. It will be a real test then. Although, if they beat Spartans twice and East Kilbride slip up in their remaining 5 matches, which I think are all away from home and a few tough ones as well, then East Stirlingshire can still win the league.

The set up should probably be changed. Have the bottom two in League 2 play against the Lowland league and Highland league winners. Two semi finals and a final, with the two finalists gaining or retaining League 2 status.

That would put less pressure on the clubs likely to be involved gambling everything on a slim chance of success. After all, there are probably only a handful of clubs seriously interested in coming up and this would make it easier to regain league status.

As it is now, there are too many clubs frustrated and too many clubs terrified of dropping out the league just because of a rare poor season.

7 minutes ago, PELE said:

The set up should probably be changed. Have the bottom two in League 2 play against the Lowland league and Highland league winners. Two semi finals and a final, with the two finalists gaining or retaining League 2 status.

That would put less pressure on the clubs likely to be involved gambling everything on a slim chance of success. After all, there are probably only a handful of clubs seriously interested in coming up and this would make it easier to regain league status.

As it is now, there are too many clubs frustrated and too many clubs terrified of dropping out the league just because of a rare poor season.

What then would be the point of that final?

Bottom of League 2 should be automatically relegated. Winner of Highland League and Lowland League playoff with winner automatically going up. Loser then plays 2nd bottom of League 2 with the winner going in to/remaining in League 2 and the loser going down to/remaining in the Highland/Lowland League

And the point of that final would be what?

Archived