Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

Need to find some kind of form going into play offs. Otherwise we will get drubbed in them against a side that can actually win a game.  The Cowden job is  the toughest job in SPFL football but GB needs to find the magic formula fast for us to get momentum for play offs. 

What is facing the club now is the end game of selling Cowden and Central Park to property developers and the lack of support and interest in the club from the town.  Despite the money pumped in by the board a few years back no real extra fans came through the gate on a regular basis. What kept the club afloat was the other income streams which have now gone. If we are looking at the club from a business viewpoint, the club is not viable with 300 regular fans putting money in. 

Dunno but if we went juniors would that mean the club could operate on a cheaper and more sustainable model? 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Need to find some kind of form going into play offs. Otherwise we will get drubbed in them against a side that can actually win a game.  The Cowden job is  the toughest job in SPFL football but GB needs to find the magic formula fast for us to get momentum for play offs. 
What is facing the club now is the end game of selling Cowden and Central Park to property developers and the lack of support and interest in the club from the town.  Despite the money pumped in by the board a few years back no real extra fans came through the gate on a regular basis. What kept the club afloat was the other income streams which have now gone. If we are looking at the club from a business viewpoint, the club is not viable with 300 regular fans putting money in. 
Dunno but if we went juniors would that mean the club could operate on a cheaper and more sustainable model? 

Unfortunately at the moment I only see us surviving in the short term. There is no magic money tree. The locals are not interested in the football team and will not lose any sleep with our demise. Shame but that is the reality.

A few people I think  are getting confused regarding if we go Junior. The Lowland League is not a Junior league if that is what they are referring too. 

As for if we go down will we survive well that depends on the fans if they wish to continue following their local football club. The club will benefit initially  from the SPFL parachute payment so no difference to this year's budget. East Stirlingshire are still in existence. 

That's the downbeat talk if we did go down but we still have a chance and the players must step up to the plate and fast. 

There is absolutely no doubt that this season has been a scandalous season and unacceptable from a fans point of view. 

However we all I am sure want the same thing and that is the club to continue its proud history in being at the heart of the community so we must continue to give Bollan and the team our full backing. 

1 hour ago, Cowden316 said:

A few people I think  are getting confused regarding if we go Junior. The Lowland League is not a Junior league if that is what they are referring too. 

As for if we go down will we survive well that depends on the fans if they wish to continue following their local football club. The club will benefit initially  from the SPFL parachute payment so no difference to this year's budget. East Stirlingshire are still in existence. 

That's the downbeat talk if we did go down but we still have a chance and the players must step up to the plate and fast. 

There is absolutely no doubt that this season has been a scandalous season and unacceptable from a fans point of view. 

However we all I am sure want the same thing and that is the club to continue its proud history in being at the heart of the community so we must continue to give Bollan and the team our full backing. 

The diehards will always support the club. This isn’t just about football and if we drop down to the lowland league it will be a sorry day for the town as well. Last season I wasn’ t so worried about the playoff but it is a different story this time. We have a much poorer team than last season and certainly would get thrashed by Cove if that’s who we had to play.

19 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

The diehards will always support the club. This isn’t just about football and if we drop down to the lowland league it will be a sorry day for the town as well. Last season I wasn’ t so worried about the playoff but it is a different story this time. We have a much poorer team than last season and certainly would get thrashed by Cove if that’s who we had to play.

Luckily we have diehards in the support and they will be key in whatever the outcome is between now and the end of the season regardless of where we finish. 

Bollan was very brave taking this appointment and he was openly my number one choice but he must find that winning formula ASAP as there is huge question marks on his inability to muster a win.

Why he does not play the development loan players is questionable if they are not good enough why did he bring  them in. Surely now is the time to play them and see what works as it looks like we are playoff bound. Why isn't there enough creativity in the squad no shots first half of a must win game against 3rd bottom is unacceptable. 

We just have to keep our fingers crossed we pull of the great escape again as despite some constructive criticism of Bollan I genuinely feel if he can pull it of with his own squad assembled from the start of next season I think he would do well for us but he has been at a disadvantage of clearing out some deadwood from an inherited team this season. I am confident he will be giving it his all behind the scenes to ensure our survival and he will no doubt be just as displeased as I am as a fan and volunteer for the club. 

It's not easy or any pleasure following the club these days  and it's only my affection for them and the town that's keeping me going. 

Peterhead next Saturday will be a tough home game but we should go out and express ourselves and show we want it more for survival reasons. 

Bollan and the clubs short term primary objective  should be to take all 6 points before we play City in the hope they drop points making it a crunch encounter to bring them back into the relegation dogfight 

In order to win we have to be trying to win. In all seriousness,can  someone explain to me what it is that Mullen brings to the team which makes him so indispensable

He brings a bad attitude, terrible footballing ability and crap set prices, as for why that gets him into the team, that's anyone's guess.

Gary Locke has to take some of the blame for the uneventful/damaging season. He failed to build on the squad that was improved (due to him and very much Neil Irvine) towards the end of last season and then left Billy Brown with a shambles of a team with no spine once again. GB can only work with what he has and despite confusion around purpose of loan signings has strengthened.

It will take an almighty recovery to survive now but would like to see Syme return and Gilfillan played in midfield. Both Mullen and Miller are done! Play Muirhead beside Cox and hopefully goals will come.

Last chance!

Nae young guns at your disposal?, what has Fife elite development provided in terms of players ??, time to get it back under cowdens control instead of raith n pars getting first dibs ???, follow the kelty way can't believe what's happening here development wise on and off pitch

Feel for you guys. Aweful position to be in. Think it’s inevitable you’ll finish bottom now so Bollan needs to plan for the play off. 

I rooted for you last year and I’ll be doing the same this year. Feckin hate East Kilbride (despite growing up there) and Spartans is a bloody public park team. Cove currently leading the way in the HL but Lowland League seems to be better than HL at the moment so I’m assuming that it’ll be EK or Spartans (on current form). 

All the best. We were so close last year so know how you must feel. I was convinced we were going to face a play off and was equally convinced we’d lose because we were so crap. Keep the faith ! 

9 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Nae young guns at your disposal?, what has Fife elite development provided in terms of players ??, time to get it back under cowdens control instead of raith n pars getting first dibs ???, follow the kelty way can't believe what's happening here development wise on and off pitch

We had 6 of the Fife Elite players playing for the 20s side on Friday at Alloa they looked decent but are only 15, 16, 17 year old's and too young for the 1st team. The Pars and Rovers are always going to get 1st dibs on Fife youngsters as they offer full time football was the same back in the day.

Although they got beat the 20s looked better with these guys than what we did earlier in the season so there maybe something there for the future. As for the present only young guys who would be likely to come into the side would be Cammy Muirhead, who was with the Fife Elite, who came off the bench yesterday and Ryan Connelly who wasn't in the squad yesterday. Both were regulars earlier in the season.

I rooted for you last year and I’ll be doing the same this year. Feckin hate East Kilbride (despite growing up there)

I've live in EK and have done almost my entire life but I detest EKFC.

I went to the K Park playoff last season to support the Cowdenbeath.

Hopefully Cowdenbeath stay up. I'd much rather have a real football Club in the league with real supporters and history than some of the insipid boys clubs that are the alternative.

13 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I've live in EK and have done almost my entire life but I detest EKFC.

I went to the K Park playoff last season to support the Cowdenbeath.

Hopefully Cowdenbeath stay up. I'd much rather have a real football Club in the league with real supporters and history than some of the insipid boys clubs that are the alternative.

Just to be clear hd, it is EKFC I can't stand. I've nothing against the place itself ! :)

Archived