Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was awful today.

McGurn - solid and made a couple of good saves. Couldn't fault him for any of the goals

Rutherford - positionally awful and did a great job at constantly hoofing long balls to Dillon and Fleming.

Syme/Rumbsy - couldn't handle Templeman. First 2 goals were preventable if they'd won the first ball.

Smith - not a full back. Struggled with no winger in front to track back.

Mullen/Miller - Jesus Christ what has happened to these guys? Their decision making is awful. Miller passing it out of play constantly while Mullen launches 35 yard shots over the bar.

Buchanan - works hard and did well to react to the goal. Just don't give him any time to think on the ball.

Morris - pathetic first touch but did well at the start of the second half. Not impressed overall.

Connelly - clearly inexperienced but was never in the game.

Garden - our best player but didn't do much. Gets stuck in and is alright on the ball.

The new manager has one hell of a job on his hands!

I don't know who told Rutherford he was a football player but it's theft that he picks up a wage from it.

Miller has been anonymous all season. Mullen much the same other than the occasional tantrum. Infact I wouldn't be upset to not see either in a Cowden shirt again.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

McGurn - solid and made a couple of good saves. Couldn't fault him for any of the goals

Rutherford - positionally awful and did a great job at constantly hoofing long balls to Dillon and Fleming.

Syme/Rumbsy - couldn't handle Templeman. First 2 goals were preventable if they'd won the first ball.

Mullen/Miller - Jesus Christ what has happened to these guys? Their decision making is awful. Miller passing it out of play constantly while Mullen launches 35 yard shots over the bar.

Buchanan - works hard and did well to react to the goal. Just don't give him any time to think on the ball.

Morris - pathetic first touch but did well at the start of the second half. Not impressed overall.

Garden - our best player but didn't do much. Gets stuck in and is alright on the ball.

At some moments in  today's match it was like watching a comedy show of Mrs Browns I mean Billy Browns boys. A bit of a clear out needed! 

Massive job as you say to get the best out of this squad 

Poor show yet again but at least we scored and looked like to show some confidence breaking forward for a small period. 

I can't remember the last time I actually enjoyed watching us play football let's hope the next manager can start to move the club forward and bring back happier times at Central Park. 

Some of our players need to have a hard look at themselves and start showing as if they care. 

Fair play to Piper and Mcgovern watching and looking as if they care again from the stands. Especially from listening to some of their comments including them saying this is embarrassing. We need more guy's like them who are their to try their best. 

Question marks over Millers body language these days he is a player who has went back miles but in his fairness it must be hard for him playing week in week out getting beat all the time. Hopefully Miller can get back to his potential with the right coaching behind him as he has been loyal to the club. 

No offence to Ovenstone but he is a waste of a wage at the club he does not seem to offer anything as a coach due to results and seen nothing of him as a player. 

Another depressing day at Central Park. 

Massive changes needed at Central Park throughout the club with some fresh faces to support  the current board also to bring in new ideas as things are getting slightly stale. Breath of fresh air needed. Jimmy sadly with his illness may not to be able to give what he wanted to but someone in addition to him with great footballing knowledge and networks may help also. 

Cowden Cowboy I have to say you continue to do an excellent job and hopefully you and the board can obtain more support which you deserve.  The Jordan Burt interviews are a great way of raising the club and Club 135s profile.  Thought your interview was really good and realistic objectives set now for this season and next taking account how this season has went. Hopefully Club 135 can be reached wider but as mentioned applaudits to everyone involved in helping achieve 25k. Looking forward to seeing the new website too. 

P.s 

Any chance some fans can make their recommendations on the shortlist of potential managers once they are interviewed lol 

Despite the bad 1st half and goals conceded when we pulled a goal back we had 3 chances within a minute to draw level with big Flem blocking Morris's shot then Mullen shooting over the bar before Garden put the ball across the face of the goal with young Ryan just needing to slide in to level.

CJ just had to score to seal the game for the Mo sure Aberdeen Cowden will be pleased to have seen him score at CP:lol:

Re the manager looking back at this time last year both the Mo and Stirling were struggling around the bottom with us and made 2 great appointments in Stewart Petrie and Dave Mackay who now have both sides in the top 2.  Get the right man and we can somehow still get out of this.

11 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Despite the bad 1st half and goals conceded when we pulled a goal back we had 3 chances within a minute to draw level with big Flem blocking Morris's shot then Mullen shooting over the bar before Garden put the ball across the face of the goal with young Ryan just needing to slide in to level.

CJ just had to score to seal the game for the Mo sure Aberdeen Cowden will be pleased to have seen him score at CP:lol:

Re the manager looking back at this time last year both the Mo and Stirling were struggling around the bottom with us and made 2 great appointments in Stewart Petrie and Dave Mackay who now have both sides in the top 2.  Get the right man and we can somehow still get out of this.

Fingers crossed Andy. A lot can happen in 25 games but right now anyone who can move us away comfortably from any relegation scrap will do me as I couldn't handle another torture day of a trapdoor playoff. 

As CC said in an interview bring someone in who can hopefully do a good job and build some solid  foundations for the club.  If that can be achieved then hopefully we can start working our way back up the leagues and rest easy thinking thank goodness we have no trapdoor threat in this league. 

Just now, Cowden316 said:

Fingers crossed Andy. A lot can happen in 25 games but right now anyone who can move us away comfortably from any relegation scrap will do me as I couldn't handle another torture day of a trapdoor playoff. 

As CC said in an interview bring someone in who can hopefully do a good job and build some solid  foundations for the club. 

We'll just have to wait and see in an ideal world you would hit lucky with a decent appointment like Montrose and Stirling both done last season. It was a good interview and CC made a good point of perhaps having someone on a 2 year deal to hopefully put us on a better footing and build on it.

The only thing which has kept us going in recent weeks has been City losing as well but you can't rely on that forever, massive game against them in a few weeks.

Agree with The Minertaur's assessment. McGurn made some very good saves to keep it at 0-2. Rutherford was always out of position and Montrose made hay down the right. Mullen. Why does this man keep getting a game. ? Can't run, can't control, can't pass and can't tackle. Jeez. Awful, awful player. At least Miller kept running all day. Played with a front 3 but unfortunately they have little or no pace. Iain Campbell played at centre in a back 3 for Montrose and strolled it. I lost count of the times the opposition defenders managed to get to the ball ahead of our players having been turned.

I agree that if we had scored the second goal with the chances we had, it might possibly have been a different outcome but playing half decently for only  5 minutes each side of half time is not going to cut it.

This upcoming managerial appointment is the biggest decision the board will make. It has to be right.

As a result of being at the game at Stenny and now today I have discovered a new  unexplained phenomena. It is a football stigmata. My eyes have started to spontaneously bleed when I watch Cowden.....

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Told you we are fucked. Lol. 

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Morris couldn't burst a paper bag. As you say CJ just had to score.

I think we've got three or four of the poorest players in the league and they were all playing today.

The new manager won't be able to get rid of the duds, goodness knows how we will ever win another game.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Morris couldn't burst a paper bag. As you say CJ just had to score.

I think we've got three or four of the poorest players in the league and they were all playing today.

The new manager won't be able to get rid of the duds, goodness knows how we will ever win another game.

That's as maybe. However the right man, with the right know how, experience and man management skills could bring the best out of those we do have who can play and win us games, and who are currently totally lacking in confidence - McGurn, Rumsby, Syme, Buchanan, Muirhead and yes even Kyle Miller, to name but a few. That person should be of sufficient stature to be able to attract, in due course, players who want to play for him. My belief is that the board should offer the new man at least a 2 year contract for continuity and to allow them to develop a plan to get Cowden back to respectability and beyond. It should be someone who has an awful lot to lose by failure. This would discount anybody who only has junior football experience - they can always go back to the juniors if they get the sack. This should discount anybody of a certain age who no longer has anything to prove or really has the hunger (Like a Brown). This should discount anybody who only has coaching or scouting skills on their CV (like a Fox, Ovenstone or Moffat) - they have a potential  job or role to go back to and so failure is not a total disaster. This should discount anybody who only has experience of Div 2. We need someone who for example is still quite young, but who has had experience of management throughout the leagues who may have been given the chance at a higher level but who, for whatever reason, may not have had a fair crack or was at the wrong club and who needs to prove something, and for whom failure is not an option . Anybody spring to mind ?   

It's not often I would agree with Cowden316 but somebody like Ian Murray, if he's around, would be a decent appointment. I wouldn't go with CC - I never really felt that he had man management skills and he looked like he had lost the dressing room by the end of his tenure. Liked Danny L though, but it appears he has burned bridges.

He's applied and apparently one of the favourites to become our Head of Youth Development (And despite the title - he'd be second in command to Jimmy Boyle in regards to the youth side of things) so it wouldn't be out of this world to potentially attract him.

9 hours ago, ronaldincoo said:

That's as maybe. However the right man, with the right know how, experience and man management skills could bring the best out of those we do have who can play and win us games, and who are currently totally lacking in confidence - McGurn, Rumsby, Syme, Buchanan, Muirhead and yes even Kyle Miller, to name but a few. That person should be of sufficient stature to be able to attract, in due course, players who want to play for him. My belief is that the board should offer the new man at least a 2 year contract for continuity and to allow them to develop a plan to get Cowden back to respectability and beyond. It should be someone who has an awful lot to lose by failure. This would discount anybody who only has junior football experience - they can always go back to the juniors if they get the sack. This should discount anybody of a certain age who no longer has anything to prove or really has the hunger (Like a Brown). This should discount anybody who only has coaching or scouting skills on their CV (like a Fox, Ovenstone or Moffat) - they have a potential  job or role to go back to and so failure is not a total disaster. This should discount anybody who only has experience of Div 2. We need someone who for example is still quite young, but who has had experience of management throughout the leagues who may have been given the chance at a higher level but who, for whatever reason, may not have had a fair crack or was at the wrong club and who needs to prove something, and for whom failure is not an option . Anybody spring to mind ?   

It's not often I would agree with Cowden316 but somebody like Ian Murray, if he's around, would be a decent appointment. I wouldn't go with CC - I never really felt that he had man management skills and he looked like he had lost the dressing room by the end of his tenure. Liked Danny L though, but it appears he has burned bridges.

Most of this is spot on.

problem is it’s in an ideal world and the clubs situation is far from ideal

not enough fans, worst stadium , bottom of the league again. Even if you get a decent manager very difficult to get players 

I saw Edinburgh had Farid El Alagui playing as a trialist yesterday and signed Scott Shepard on loan from Falkirk during the week. They've also got Jesus Garcia Tena on their books now. Granted, with the exception of Shepard (who could be a very good loan signing), these guys won't be match fit but if and when they get up to speed, they could be the difference for City. Josh Walker also looks like a good player.

Billy Brown is telling us that no one wants to come to Cowdenbeath and it's so hard to attract experienced players. Other clubs manage it so why couldn't he? He obviously wasn't looking hard enough.

Archived