Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

How many ex sevco players has 316 suggested yet?

I'd bring back Colin Nish and Rie, IMO not renewing his contract was the wrong decision.

For me I would like to see a managerial dream team of Nelly  & Big Al as joint managers with Scottie G as first team coach. They would get us safe & they're Cowden diehards. 

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

How many ex sevco players has 316 suggested yet?

I'd bring back Colin Nish and Rie, IMO not renewing his contract was the wrong decision.

2 out of 9.

Walter Smith who I didn't suggest previously would do. Maybe Donald can tempt him with his expensive cigars as per the STV documentary Walter used to always take them from the chairman. 

In all seriousness we have to get this appointment right. 

The attributes the next manager must have is

Strong Leadership 

Experience of Football Management in the SPFL 

Experience of getting the best out of players 

Engages well with people and understands the importance of club and community. 

Drives a high level of professionalism expecting very high standards which breeds throughout the club most importantly within the playing squad 

Not essential but a proven track record of performing reasonably with then finishing in a reasonable final  league position on a small budget 

Has built a good footballing network which could be utilised to identify players or attract them to the club 

Credible references with a proven track record within the SPFL

7 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

For me I would like to see a managerial dream team of Nelly  & Big Al as joint managers with Scottie G as first team coach. They would get us safe & they're Cowden diehards. 

As long as they play as well.

14 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Big Jon Daly fi Hearts would do a grand job , got the young uns well drilled , could be left looking for a chance if approached???

Probably a realistic option given our lack of dosh.

52 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

2 out of 9.

Walter Smith who I didn't suggest previously would do. Maybe Donald can tempt him with his expensive cigars as per the STV documentary Walter used to always take them from the chairman. 

Strong Leadership 

Drives a high level of professionalism expecting very high standards which breeds throughout the club most importantly within the playing squad 

Not essential but a proven track record of performing reasonably with then finishing in a reasonable final  league position on a small budget 

Has built a good footballing network which could be utilised to identify players or attract them to the club 

That rules out everyone then.

2 out of 9.
Strong Leadership 

Ultimately the criteria is whether any candidate can deliver the primary goal/s of the board. That can be many things ranging from avoiding the trapdoor to promotion/playoffs.

The right candidate this time probably wont tick all of those boxes but hopefully ticks enough to meet the minimum target.

And exceeds the boards targets and expectations.

11 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Big Jon Daly fi Hearts would do a grand job , got the young uns well drilled , could be left looking for a chance if approached???

No chance he knows he is in with a good shout of promotion within Hearts in a couple of years time.

There must be some 36-37 year old plus just retired or still playing decent level that could take his first steps im sthinking someone like a jim goodwin when he went to alloa. It doesnt always work e.g fox but in the main we have had success using this type of appointment in the past. Someone says we need experience erm you dont get much more experienced than billy brown!!

Oh and cowden couldnt afford me Cowden phil...

6 hours ago, NELLY said:

No chance he knows he is in with a good shout of promotion within Hearts in a couple of years time.

There must be some 36-37 year old plus just retired or still playing decent level that could take his first steps im sthinking someone like a jim goodwin when he went to alloa. It doesnt always work e.g fox but in the main we have had success using this type of appointment in the past. Someone says we need experience erm you dont get much more experienced than billy brown!!

Oh and cowden couldnt afford me Cowden phil...

Always a hit or a miss the old players taking their 1st steps into management. Goodwin has done ok at Alloa and Dave Mackay has done an exception job at Stirling but as we've seen for ourselves it dosn't always work out. Mixu and Danny were our best rookies in recent times although both had been coaching youth sides at other clubs before coming to us and both had a genuine desire to do something in management.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Always a hit or a miss the old players taking their 1st steps into management. Goodwin has done ok at Alloa and Dave Mackay has done an exception job at Stirling but as we've seen for ourselves it dosn't always work out. Mixu and Danny were our best rookies in recent times although both had been coaching youth sides at other clubs before coming to us and both had a genuine desire to do something in management.

Like I say Jon Daly been coaching youths for wee while now and could be looking for that wee sniff of first team management and as you say didn't do Mixu or Lennon or Levein any harm starting out at Cowden 

Archived