Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

Not surprised at the news.
After the EK game in his post match press interview Billy’s body language glared out to me he was close to saying enough was enough.
Massive decision ahead for the Cowden board and a one they can’t afford to get wrong.
I’m sure they will get a good few applications for the job.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Feel absolutely gutted for Billy Brown working with a bunch of youngsters and no money. He was up against it from the start. He deserves credit for walking away and not holding out for a payout like that arse Nicholl who is the man I blame for our current plight. 

Whoever gets the gig needs support from the fans and a bit of cash if we are  serious about staying in SPFL. Very, very difficult for the next man in the Cowden hotseat. Also board track record has not been the best in appointing managers so it doesn't fire me with confidence. I think Jim Moffat will be the next manager with Ovenstone remaining as no 2. 

All the best to the poor and mad b*****d who takes the gig. 

Jim Moffat, now there’s the most realistic suggestion yet.

37 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Feel absolutely gutted for Billy Brown working with a bunch of youngsters and no money. He was up against it from the start. He deserves credit for walking away and not holding out for a payout like that arse Nicholl who is the man I blame for our current plight. 

Whoever gets the gig needs support from the fans and a bit of cash if we are  serious about staying in SPFL. Very, very difficult for the next man in the Cowden hotseat. Also board track record has not been the best in appointing managers so it doesn't fire me with confidence. I think Jim Moffat will be the next manager with Ovenstone remaining as no 2. 

All the best to the poor and mad b*****d who takes the gig. 

I would say re the managerial track record of appointments Nicholl done what he was brought into do keep us up. He failed the next season and I agree with you we should have made a change and may have stayed up.

Locke also done what he was brought into do keeping us up and with not much time to do so. Billy sort of fell into the job came along to help Gary out and ended up with the main job goodluck to the guy for the future seemed a decent guy in any dealings I had with him.

31 minutes ago, NE63 exile said:

Not surprised at the news.
After the EK game in his post match press interview Billy’s body language glared out to me he was close to saying enough was enough.
Massive decision ahead for the Cowden board and a one they can’t afford to get wrong.
I’m sure they will get a good few applications for the job.

Aye you did mention that at the time. Mystic63:lol:

55 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

Feel absolutely gutted for Billy Brown working with a bunch of youngsters and no money.

It was him that signed them. It was obvious that we need a player with an older head and a bit of experience from pre-season but Billy continued to bring in youngsters. There was a budget there and Billy knew what it was but didn't use it as well as he could. For example, Ali Smith was signed after a below average game up in Elgin where he was played out of position. He didn't impress but was still signed because we needed players and now can't get in the team.

56 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

I think Jim Moffat will be the next manager with Ovenstone remaining as no 2. 

I imagine they'll be put in temporary charge but can't see them getting the job full time unless they do an incredible job as caretakers. Jim Moffat's teams are very much long ball teams so it won't be pretty.

Here's my list of potential candidates I would want for  what it's worth although some well  out of our reach financially  for the unrealistic ones I.E McCall and Hughes 

Danny Lennon 

Gary Bollan 

Stuart McCall

John Hughes 

Ian Murray 

Mixu 

Lee McCulloch 

Grant Murray 

John Mcglynn 

3 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Here's my list of potential candidates I would want  what it's worth although some well  out of our reach financially  for the unrealistic ones I.E McCall and Hughes 

Danny Lennon - I doubt Donald would want him back after the way he left the club last time

Gary Bollan 

Stuart McCall - currently manager at Bradford City

John Hughes 

Ian Murray - currently assistant manager at Asker in Norway

Mixu - has a job with UEFA

Lee McCulloch 

Grant Murray - works at Hibs Academy

John Mcglynn - works for Celtic as a scout

My shortlist :

Ray McKinnon
Martyn Corrigan

1 minute ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

My shortlist :

Ray McKinnon
Martyn Corrigan

Didn't realise McCall was at Bradford. 

Was going to add in Mckinnon but feel a step down for him to soon after being at a club like Dundee Utd. With that being said I guess if he wants to keep managing in Scotland there are only so many posts available 

1 minute ago, 1GregStewart said:

None of yours or 316s are realistic. 

Wake up people

They are ideal people we would want to see. Nobody said they were realistic options although some of them are. 

I think due to our league  position we need someone who knows this league inside out or at least relevant management experience in the senior leagues. 

19 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Here's my list of potential candidates I would want for  what it's worth although some well  out of our reach financially  for the unrealistic ones I.E McCall and Hughes 

Danny Lennon 

Gary Bollan 

Stuart McCall

John Hughes 

Ian Murray 

Mixu 

Lee McCulloch 

Grant Murray 

John Mcglynn 

Image result for lauging gif

The next manager with the budget will only be able to sign young lads as experienced pros will not sign for us as they can get more money elsewhere. 

We are fucked.

Jim Moffat will get it if he wants it and can be arsed with the hassle. 

1 minute ago, CowdenPhil said:

The next manager with the budget will only be able to sign young lads as experienced pros will not sign for us as they can get more money elsewhere. 

We are fucked.

Jim Moffat will get it if he wants it and can be arsed with the hassle. 

If a new manager can come in and bring a bit of confidence and belief into the team then we've got a chance.  Our season starts now basically - 3 home matches and then Edinburgh City away and if we can have the new manager in quickly then what's to say that we won't pick up points?  We're not bad defensively and still creating chances.

This "we are fucked" attitude helps nobody.   I see no reason why Jim Moffat would get the job over anybody else who would be interested.

We literally need a manager in who can help us recover a one point deficit over Edinburgh City.  It's nowhere near over even if we can't get some experienced players on the pitch.

We have no money to bring in some of the names mentioned. Someone like a laurie ellis would be fantastic however again unlikely. We are bottom of the league our team is full of young boys. Our fitness appears lacking/we lack attacking threat. The club on the playing staff and from what I hear training wise is a shambles. Someone needs to come in with a hell of a lot of discipline and to mould players into a team who can pick up points/score goals.

Install confidence/try pick up a couple of players who are better than league 2 on minimal wages and then also to improve the players we currently have.The new manager would also have to be on a lowish wage for all of the above. I dont know figures but I have an idea around £400-500 a week would be on offer maybe much less.

There is a lot of guys who would still be interested in this job. Gary bollan springs to mind - I personally wouldnt want him but he is an option. 

Although I cant think of anyone someone in the mould of dave mackay (stirling manager) would work - someone just retired with a decent level of football recently who will have good contacts with managers within spfl. 

I wouldnt promote anyone on the staff from the mere point of view that they are part of a coaching team which has brought us to where we are NOT just Billy Brown. We shouldnt reward failure. We need to be bold and I guarantee the new manager wont be of approval to every cowden fan but I put the trust in Donald etc. They pulled a good one out in Gary Locke and I think Donald will be aiming to secure someone very decent that will show we mean business to stay in this league.

Archived